Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
New Yaris SE on Saturday

Talked to the dealer on the other side of the state. Will be picking up a blue 2015 Yaris SE, manual of course, this coming Saturday morning. Will be trading my 13 Avalon Limited for the Yaris SE. Been waiting impatiently for some time on a Yaris. Had an 11 Yaris in Polar White and really miss the manual transmission. Thought I wanted a really nice car, which the Avalon is, but looking forward to the simplicity. The better half isn't extremely thrilled, but I'm driving it so that's all that matters.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Congrats! . Will be interested to read how the clutch feels to you when compared to your previous Yaris.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
BLKHILLSGUY

Hopefully, it's a huge improvement. I CONSTANTLY killed the Yaris while in 1st gear on the 2011, and that has never happened to me in any previous manuals I have driven. Looking at genuine sheepskin covers for it now. So many choices. Also looked at Wet Okole but have always enjoyed sheepskin. Had a 10 yr old gray set that I gave to my mom. Got them at Costco. Too bad Costco no longer sells them.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Hopefully, it's a huge improvement. I CONSTANTLY killed the Yaris while in 1st gear on the 2011, and that has never happened to me in any previous manuals I have driven. Looking at genuine sheepskin covers for it now. So many choices. Also looked at Wet Okole but have always enjoyed sheepskin. Had a 10 yr old gray set that I gave to my mom. Got them at Costco. Too bad Costco no longer sells them.
I don't remember killing my '07, but I've definitely killed the engine re the clutch on my '14 a few times. I'm thinking '07-'14 = same clutch?...or that there have been two different types of clutches over that period? (can't remember which is correct). Either way, I have a feeling (from Kalispel's description) that the 2015 has a better clutch than any previous year. Kalispel compared the 2015 to previous Honda clutches (very interesting ), but you can compare the 2015 to experience with a previous Yaris clutch .

re sheepskins.....even if not dealing with a cold winter climate. I bought them for a car while I was living near the beach in Orange County, California (not known for cold winters ).

I use covers (not sheepskins) for my '14 because I don't like the two tone seats ('butterscotchish mixed with grayish' inserts = .....rest of the black on the seats = ) . Every 2015 SE I've seen up close.........same as Kalispel's SE.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Awesome!!!

Hopefully you will like your 2015 S/E manual 5-Spd as much as I do. I like the blue, and thought it looked really sharp in the various YouTube reviews that I saw (the OEM alloy wheels look better with that than the white one). You will really stand out with that color, especially with the bold 2015 front styling I am just more of a drab white, gray, earth-tone type person. I would have been really tempted to purchase a "brown sugar metallic" Yaris if it had been offered in the USA like it was in Canada. That and white are my two personal favorite - but I was seriously considering a go at a gray or blue manual when I thought that a white one wasn't going to be obtainable.

I only stalled out once thus far since I started driving my Yaris, and it was the first time I had worn my Skecher boots while driving it (on the 2nd or 3rd day of having Yaris). My size 11W feet feel huge and numb in those boots and it is a bit harder to feel the nuances of the accelerator with them. It was tougher to drive my manual Accord with them on also, so it isn't a Yaris-specific issue. That was my one and only stall thus far on my Yaris, and I am even comfortable driving with the boots on, now that I have gotten the hang of the gas-pedal.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-26-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Thought I wanted a really nice car, which the Avalon is, but looking forward to the simplicity. The better half isn't extremely thrilled, but I'm driving it so that's all that matters.
Think of all the $$$$ you saved!

You DID get a nice car and the BEST car!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
You DID get a nice car and the BEST car!
+1
Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Kalispel

What extras and/or modifications do you plan for your Blue Streak Metallic SE?

I still have to get the windows tinted on mine, after I get my AZ license tag, and can then pull the temporary paper tag off the inside back window. I also have to purchase/install some alternative 16" wheels later this year or early next, and then try to sell the OEM ones. Not sure if I should do that before or after I build myself a new desktop gaming system. Decisions, decisions.

-
Old 08-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
You're trading the Avalon for the Yaris?
May I ask what the trade in value was?
Trading in Toyota's top tier model for the bottom tier model is a huge leap!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
You're trading the Avalon for the Yaris?
May I ask what the trade in value was?
Trading in Toyota's top tier model for the bottom tier model is a huge leap!
I think his Avalon was leased, and at its end of term.

-
Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I think his Avalon was leased, and at its end of term.

-
Yes it was. First, and last lease. I drive more than 12k miles a year, so not a benefit for me. The payment between the car payment and the lease was $40 bucks, so that wasn't the issue. I just had never had a really nice car with leather, heated front and rear seats, and in dash navigation. I didn't like the in dash navigation from day one. Too complicated to use. My Garmin was $100 and has lifetime free maps. And it sitting on the dash never bothered me. Will go back to that with the Yaris. And the biggest thing I didn't enjoy with the Avalon was the automatic transmission. It was so boring. I enjoy rowing through the gears. I thought I could overlook that with such a cushy car, but I couldn't. And my first car was a 91 Ford Festiva, and me and my dad used to work on that together. Always had a love for small, tiny cars. I'm sure the Corolla makes more sense, but it doesn't have the hatchback appeal that I miss so much. And I like the idea of downsizing. After I finish school and make a great salary, I just don't see myself forking that much money over again for a vehicle. It's just not in my nature. I tried it out, and now I know. Learning experience.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
What extras and/or modifications do you plan for your Blue Streak Metallic SE?

I still have to get the windows tinted on mine, after I get my AZ license tag, and can then pull the temporary paper tag off the inside back window. I also have to purchase/install some alternative 16" wheels later this year or early next, and then try to sell the OEM ones. Not sure if I should do that before or after I build myself a new desktop gaming system. Decisions, decisions.

-
I want to keep it pretty simple. I want the v-vti applique that you have on your car, and the exhaust tip. Any idea or link where I can find those two items? Also will do tint, and good floor mats. And the sheepskin seat covers for the driver and passenger. That is all I have planned.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
BLKHILLSGUY

Thought about XM since I've had it for years, but I found a great country station that does next to no commercials, and it plays the 70's-90s country that I grew up with. I haven't been using the XM much in the Avalon since I found that station. And I have Google Play with playlists set up. It has all the music you could ever want. And I still like my CD's. Grew up with them.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
Kalispel

Quote:
I want to keep it pretty simple. I want the v-vti applique that you have on your car, and the exhaust tip. Any idea or link where I can find those two items? Also will do tint, and good floor mats. And the sheepskin seat covers for the driver and passenger. That is all I have planned.
The OEM (Southeast Asia Toyota) VVT-i emblem/badge and aftermarket exhaust tip I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Those two simple items really complete the SE exterior look, in my opinion. Low-key, but great for personality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also like these VVT-i / TRD badges, and might get one for my upper front passenger-side windshield instead of the tiny little vinyl die-cut TRD logo that I have there now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1IDO71EUN1X9A

I also bought this OEM lidded-cup for extra concealed storage (for my non-penny coins). It fits perfectly in one of the dual-front cup holders in front of gearbox. Great quality, but not as deep as I thought it would be.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-27-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
Kalispel

Quote:
Yes it was. First, and last lease. I drive more than 12k miles a year, so not a benefit for me. The payment between the car payment and the lease was $40 bucks, so that wasn't the issue. I just had never had a really nice car with leather, heated front and rear seats, and in dash navigation. I didn't like the in dash navigation from day one. Too complicated to use. My Garmin was $100 and has lifetime free maps. And it sitting on the dash never bothered me. Will go back to that with the Yaris. And the biggest thing I didn't enjoy with the Avalon was the automatic transmission. It was so boring. I enjoy rowing through the gears. I thought I could overlook that with such a cushy car, but I couldn't. And my first car was a 91 Ford Festiva, and me and my dad used to work on that together. Always had a love for small, tiny cars. I'm sure the Corolla makes more sense, but it doesn't have the hatchback appeal that I miss so much. And I like the idea of downsizing. After I finish school and make a great salary, I just don't see myself forking that much money over again for a vehicle. It's just not in my nature. I tried it out, and now I know. Learning experience.
Before I discovered the latest Yaris SE, I was planning on either buying a used 2010-2012 Yaris sedan (with automatic sadly enough) or a 2012-2015 first-generation Acura ILX 6-Spd Manual. I test drove the ILX that I wanted, but it was just too overloaded with unnecessary tech junk and gadgets for my taste (but it was a joy to drive - basically a superior Civic Si). I much prefer the simple interior elegance, and somewhat old-school feel of my Yaris SE, even if it isn't super plush and fancy on the inside. It has everything that I want in a car (minor detail quibbles aside), and definitely brings back the fonder memories of driving my 1986 CRX Si back in the day. Like you, something about certain smaller hatchbacks just does it for me.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 AM   #16
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
The OEM (Southeast Asia Toyota) VVT-i emblem/badge and aftermarket exhaust tip I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Those two simple items really complete the SE exterior look, in my opinion. Low-key, but great for personality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also like these VVT-i / TRD badges, and might get one for my upper front passenger-side windshield instead of the tiny little vinyl die-cut TRD logo that I have there now.

I also bought this OEM lidded-cup for extra concealed storage (for my non-penny coins). It fits perfectly in one of the dual-front cup holders in front of gearbox. Great quality, but not as deep as I thought it would be.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

-
Ordered the car emblem. And also ordered the ashtray. That will be good for my cash(Starbucks tips) and coins. I'm a little hesitant on the exhaust tip. Is it really easy to install? Some people said it tarnished after using it for awhile. That is the one thing I will definitely miss about the Avalon is the center console. I keep a ton of stuff in there. And the deep glove box. Going to have to minimize what I carry. No more months of lottery tickets in the car. Haha I usually give them to my mom to check, as I'm too lazy, and let her keep the $40-50 bucks that I usually win.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 AM   #17
BLKHILLSGUY

And thanks again for the links!!! I have Amazon Prime, so that worked out perfectly!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #18
Kalispel

Quote:
Ordered the car emblem. And also ordered the ashtray. That will be good for my cash(Starbucks tips) and coins. I'm a little hesitant on the exhaust tip. Is it really easy to install? Some people said it tarnished after using it for awhile. That is the one thing I will definitely miss about the Avalon is the center console. I keep a ton of stuff in there. And the deep glove box. Going to have to minimize what I carry. No more months of lottery tickets in the car. Haha I usually give them to my mom to check, as I'm too lazy, and let her keep the $40-50 bucks that I usually win.
I had no trouble installing the tri-bolt exhaust tip - it just takes a socket wrench and a good enough eye to put it on straight (drain hole centered at bottom, and equal air spacing on all sides between 2.25" tip exit and actual 2.0" exhaust pipe exit). If you live in area with a lot of road salt, rain/snow, and such, rust and tarnish is a problem for just about anything metal - without diligent cleaning/polishing. I'm betting that some of those reviewers on Amazon didn't take proper care of their car, which you cannot do if you live in those type harsh environmental conditions.

I was also spoiled by the monster center-console & storage space in my 2000 accord w/Armrest. I've since learned to minimize cockpit junk, and just keep around what I really need.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-28-2015 at 03:18 PM.