Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The Platinum warranty wasn't purchased , it was given to us by TOYOTA . What good is that if no one wants to help out .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Hershey

50+ in all directions .
Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
Hershey

Talked to Toyota and was given a case number . They too said it's all up to the technician and nothing more can e done .
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Hershey

I'm not going to replace the waterpump in our driveway . Should be at their shop . That's what warranties are for . I'll likely get some coolant and top it off . Then monitor that . Will keep dates of drops and post pics here for reference .
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
So you still have the car? Like I said I dont think the leaking my wp did was indicative of a typical water pump failure of an American car of the 70's with like 60k miles on it. I keep the car for months like that, cleaned the hood of coolant and check the hood and coolant level once a week.

Because the car was under warranty I elected to bring it to Toyota for replacement. Unlike your situation they put in a new pump gratis.

But if it happens again out of warranty I may just leave it leak and monitor and top of the coolant as need be. I suspect but cant prove its a matter with the sealing of the gasket, not the pump itself. If I can find some young men who want to learn about cars and dragoon them into changing it under my direction I would just replace the gasket and see what happens!

Maybe you could take that approach? Just keep running it and topping coolant up until it either keeps going or blows up requiring a new pump and proving me wrong...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
Hershey

" So you still have the car? "

Until the bitter end . The gas mileage keeps it in the drive . Like the ride , roominess , and it's a good lookin' car too . Despite the scars from the car accident . Still have until July to get it repaired .
Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
" So you still have the car? "

Until the bitter end . The gas mileage keeps it in the drive . Like the ride , roominess , and it's a good lookin' car too . Despite the scars from the car accident . Still have until July to get it repaired .
I know it's nice to get whats owed, but you can get an Aisin pump from rockauto.com for $50. shipped. I bought a couple, as to have when needed.

It looks to be about a two hour job.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
50+ in all directions .
I asked that question about where the next closest Toyota dealer is because, if it was not too much farther away, you could try that different dealer and might get a different response. Now that Toyota 'corporate' has assigned you a number, I don't know if going to another dealership would do any good.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
My pump went at 30k. I hate people touching my car so I swapped it out myself. Not worth drama...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #28
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
by service center . Told has to be fresh coolant before they'll replace it . Guess have to wait until it fails and stranded on the road . Showed these pics of the coolant drops and the spray under the hood to service manager and said it's not enough proof . Did a 100+ round trip for nothing .
I think this is disgraceful. I am not sure if I can help as I am in the UK. In the UK what I would do is take photographs etc. in front of witnesses, at least three! then have the pump changed at another dealership at my expense, then take the dealer who would not replace the pump to the Small Claims Court. Being a company they are leagally obliged to attend and must abide by the courts decision. They come down heavily on practices you describe. I do not know if you have anything like this in the USA, but I think you may well have something similar if you enquire. Obviously I do not know the legal system in the USA but my advice would be to look into this line of action. I hope this is of some help.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #29
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Hershey, I think you are past the keeping it cordial stage.

I offer the following simply as my opinion and advice, I am not an attorney and you can take it or leave it as you see fit. I believe this would be my next course of action.

Contact your States Attorney General's Office. They have consumer affairs divisions etc. Ask for their advice. Get the names and addresses of anyone you speak to there.

Then you do this - tell them you are going to be writing to Toyota of North America and you would like to CC them if that's ok. It's always ok.

Get the name and address of the President of Toyota North America and sit down and pen a letter to he/she as detailed as possible. State your case clearly, concisely. He/She won't answer but they have offsiders who will, usually a V.P.

Make it clear that you are aware that this is not an uncommon occurance in these cars, quite the opposite. Detail the dealers reaction, or lack of action for that matter and their attitude.

Pound away at the Platinum Warranty, what good is it etc. etc.

You may want to mention too that you have now brought this to their attention, and it has been documented sufficiently. Should, when the waterpump fails if there is any long term damage done to your car, should it have to be towed for repairs etc. due to their indifference, stonewalling etc. you will be seeking remedies. Also mention that you have been in touch with the AG's office and will be copying them on this correspondance. Send all your correspondance certified, return receipt requested., Toyota and AG.

Never ever go back to that dealer, EVER.

I really don't understand why they are being so obstinate to get this replaced, it is not like this is an unknown problem. And short of a pink puddle under your car and a check engine light I don't know what else they need. The pink spray under the hood is the dead giveaway, and in fact it is what I look for periodically.

If it goes well, the chain of events might be something like this You contact AG> you contact Toyota NA > you hear from dealer offering to replace WP, roughly same time hear from Toyata NA apologizing and hoping that it is all resolved< you contact Toyota NA and tell them thank you but can you have the work done at a another dealer, your not "comfortable" with the old one. (Dealers never like to be contacted by corporate, ever, unless it's to get some award, like they have been voted "Best WIFI for a Mid-Sized Dealership in the Tri-State River Valley"

That is if it all goes well, and I hope it does. If I knew how to change one of these things I'd offer to do the work for you, just as a Karma thing for everything I've taken from this forum.

Cheers.

Last edited by NEexpat; 01-13-2013 at 04:32 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that dealership is just lazy. I'd do NEexpat said.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Some dealers hate to do warranty work, hate it! It's my understanding it's because the bill back rate on warranty work is a lot less than the retail hourly rate.

I also think this is why there seems to be all this gray area RE: TSB's vs. recalls, vs. warranty, what's covered, whats not, broken bolts vs. driver's side door panels on power window cars ablaze etc. etc.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #32
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
My pump went at 30k. I hate people touching my car so I swapped it out myself. Not worth drama...
Right. Who knows if they are qualified to do the work or if they are abused by their bosses. So they take it out on our cars hoping to poison thier bosses business.

Or they just dont know what theyre doing and ruin the rest of our cars in the process.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #33
Hershey

Don't think we're being dramatic or unreasonable about this matter . Shouldn't be doing something that's warrantied under a 8 yr. / 125,000 mile warranty . Never had one fail on numerous vehicles with 100,000 > 200.000+ miles . Don't plan to do it in the driveway . They said it was a regional Toyota technician at their shop that made the decision . Thus no other Toyota service center will touch it . Told them of reading other Yaris with this issue on the internet and stated can't go by that . Will buy the Long Life ( pink ) coolant and top off the resorvoir when cold then take pic of the level . Then date it and keep dates / pics of any drop . Also get pics of any spray and date that . The reason I asked about the Scangauge 2 is to monitor the coolant temp . Time will tell .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-14-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #34
Hershey

Do appreciate all the advice and concern from everyone .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-13-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
bronsin

Good luck and keep us up to date on what happens!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Hershey, I think you are past the keeping it cordial stage.

I offer the following simply as my opinion and advice, I am not an attorney and you can take it or leave it as you see fit. I believe this would be my next course of action.

Contact your States Attorney General's Office. They have consumer affairs divisions etc. Ask for their advice. Get the names and addresses of anyone you speak to there.

Then you do this - tell them you are going to be writing to Toyota of North America and you would like to CC them if that's ok. It's always ok.

Get the name and address of the President of Toyota North America and sit down and pen a letter to he/she as detailed as possible. State your case clearly, concisely. He/She won't answer but they have offsiders who will, usually a V.P.

Make it clear that you are aware that this is not an uncommon occurance in these cars, quite the opposite. Detail the dealers reaction, or lack of action for that matter and their attitude.

Pound away at the Platinum Warranty, what good is it etc. etc.

You may want to mention too that you have now brought this to their attention, and it has been documented sufficiently. Should, when the waterpump fails if there is any long term damage done to your car, should it have to be towed for repairs etc. due to their indifference, stonewalling etc. you will be seeking remedies. Also mention that you have been in touch with the AG's office and will be copying them on this correspondance. Send all your correspondance certified, return receipt requested., Toyota and AG.

Never ever go back to that dealer, EVER.

I really don't understand why they are being so obstinate to get this replaced, it is not like this is an unknown problem. And short of a pink puddle under your car and a check engine light I don't know what else they need. The pink spray under the hood is the dead giveaway, and in fact it is what I look for periodically.

If it goes well, the chain of events might be something like this You contact AG> you contact Toyota NA > you hear from dealer offering to replace WP, roughly same time hear from Toyata NA apologizing and hoping that it is all resolved< you contact Toyota NA and tell them thank you but can you have the work done at a another dealer, your not "comfortable" with the old one. (Dealers never like to be contacted by corporate, ever, unless it's to get some award, like they have been voted "Best WIFI for a Mid-Sized Dealership in the Tri-State River Valley"

That is if it all goes well, and I hope it does. If I knew how to change one of these things I'd offer to do the work for you, just as a Karma thing for everything I've taken from this forum.

Cheers.
^^^^^ This. You were entitled to, and should have had, the same initial pleasant experience bronsin had.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 01-15-2013 at 12:01 PM.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote