Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southwest
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I'm in for A Texas meet-up, but I think we'd be wise to try regionally before we go for the big one, just to see who'll actually show. How about SA, Dallas/FW, Houston and Lubbock each try for a Yaris night at some restaraunt or bar/grill. Then you'd have some compatriots to caravan with to a full-on Texas meet! Any suggestions for DFW in the next couple weeks?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
I'm in for A Texas meet-up, but I think we'd be wise to try regionally before we go for the big one, just to see who'll actually show. How about SA, Dallas/FW, Houston and Lubbock each try for a Yaris night at some restaraunt or bar/grill. Then you'd have some compatriots to caravan with to a full-on Texas meet! Any suggestions for DFW in the next couple weeks?
Man! Houston is dead! I am ready to meet in Austin.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
have any dates been decided on yet? (cuz I am moving to Houston TX the end of this year)
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #22
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Why are you leaving Jax? I am originally from there, but joined the Air Force and 25 years later ended up in San Antonio. Jacksonville has changed a lot since I left in 1981, but I still get back on occassion as my Mom still lives there. I actually work with a Navy officer who was assigned there before coming to Texas...

Oh, and no dates as of yet; we are still trying to decide on one state-wide meet or two area meets. I think it will be the latter, and somewhere near Austin the location for us down here in the south.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #23
MadMax

And, actually Gruene, north of New Braunfels and on the Guadalupe River, would be an excellent location for the southern Texas meet! It is a very historic and scenic town! The New Braunfels Smokehouse Restaurant would be a great place to eat, and then there are numerous places for photo ops!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
custom Lftback

I am going to be going to med school at UT, so I am moving there and working as an EMT for a year so I can get residency then goin to med school. But I love Jax and I'm gonna miss it! But I am looking forward to Texas a lot tho. I can't wait to get to a meet (this will be my first one cuz I got my LB about a month and half ago), so keep me in the loop as far as when you guys decide on when and where for a meet, cuz I'm up for anything!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
MadMax

You'll love UT, when I was stationed in San Angelo we used to road trip there on the weekends. I am not too sure about Houston, I'm not the biggest fan of that town.

I've only had my hatchback for three weeks, but I am already loving it! I don't know if I would want to drive it the 1100 miles from Jax to San Antonio; I've done it several times in other cars, from a Acura Integra to a VW Passat wagon to a Honday Odyssey and it's always been a two-day trip. We normally stop at the Drury Inn in Layfette, Louisiana as it is a good day's drive from Jax. The panhandle is a nice drive, and there are other bits that are scenic; but for the most part IH-10 is tedious and boring. Be sure to load up your MP3 player with music and podcasts!

But Texas is a great place to live. I retired from the USAF here and we deliberately got stationed here for our last assignment. We spent half of my career overseas, but this was our favorite place in the States. However, San Antonio is more family-oriented whereas Austin is a better place for younger singles. The Hill Country is a wonderful place to drive or ride (I've got two motorcycles) and it is also a great place to own a Jeep because the weather is dry and hot most of the year.

Anyhow, if you have any questions about Texas feel free to PM me. And let us know when you you get here, as we need to make this Yaris meet a reality!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #26
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
now i'm missing the good people of texas!

mike(NST) always has some kind of meets around houston!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #27
custom Lftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
You'll love UT, when I was stationed in San Angelo we used to road trip there on the weekends. I am not too sure about Houston, I'm not the biggest fan of that town.

I've only had my hatchback for three weeks, but I am already loving it! I don't know if I would want to drive it the 1100 miles from Jax to San Antonio; I've done it several times in other cars, from a Acura Integra to a VW Passat wagon to a Honday Odyssey and it's always been a two-day trip. We normally stop at the Drury Inn in Layfette, Louisiana as it is a good day's drive from Jax. The panhandle is a nice drive, and there are other bits that are scenic; but for the most part IH-10 is tedious and boring. Be sure to load up your MP3 player with music and podcasts!

But Texas is a great place to live. I retired from the USAF here and we deliberately got stationed here for our last assignment. We spent half of my career overseas, but this was our favorite place in the States. However, San Antonio is more family-oriented whereas Austin is a better place for younger singles. The Hill Country is a wonderful place to drive or ride (I've got two motorcycles) and it is also a great place to own a Jeep because the weather is dry and hot most of the year.

Anyhow, if you have any questions about Texas feel free to PM me. And let us know when you you get here, as we need to make this Yaris meet a reality!

Cheers! M2
That's awesome! thanks! I will probably do the trip in one day, I have done it before. It takes about 13 hours. not too bad. But yes, I have plenty of music to jam to on the way there (expected to leave here december 15th)! Hopefully we will get to meet at this up and coming car meet.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #28
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I'm down with Gruene Hall! Lets get all you Yarii out to one of the AutoX events in SA or Austin (or Dallas or Houston :) ) next spring when the season gets going. Last one of the year is this weekend in FW (last one I know of).
Welcome to TX, custom! Give us a heads-up when you're settled in. I go down there a lot.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #29
custom Lftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
I'm down with Gruene Hall! Lets get all you Yarii out to one of the AutoX events in SA or Austin (or Dallas or Houston :) ) next spring when the season gets going. Last one of the year is this weekend in FW (last one I know of).
Welcome to TX, custom! Give us a heads-up when you're settled in. I go down there a lot.
I most definitely will! just an idea, Houston members could set up maybe a monthly get together for lunch and a drive, as well as take part of the larger meets. Just an idea...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #30
bigjimmysrock

Drives: 08 lb
san antonio, north central
bigjimmysrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #31
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmysrock View Post
san antonio, north central
Yo! Out near Helotes! Are you in the Stone Oak area? We gotta hit a Sonic one of these days!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #32
xxae07xx
hook em

Drives: black 08 lb
houston
xxae07xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #33
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Houston meet...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11078

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #34
custom Lftback

I moved into Bentwater in Montgomery, Texas (north of Houston) a couple of days ago from Jacksonville, FL. I am lovin it here so far, and can't wait till we get a meet organized cuz I will be there!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
MadMax

As another Jacksonville-to-Texas transplant, welcome to the Lone Star State!

What's wild is that the first base I was stationed at when I joined the USAF was RAF Bentwaters in the UK! Weird!

Anyhow, once the weather gets nicer, I think we need a mid-Texas Yaris meet, around New Braunfels or Gruene. Both are centrally located between Austin and San Antonio, and are very scenic!

Cheers! M2
Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #36
custom Lftback

I'd love to go to Gruene!