Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Brake pad brands?

Has anyone found any aftermarket brands of pads that they like?

When I had my Volvo I used Axxis (PBR/Repco) Deluxe pads because it was promoted by IPD as a good, low dust pad. I never noticed any problems with them, but I recently read some info that some people had real problems with them in rain. The current incarnation of Axxis Deluxe apparently uses a ceramic based material. I don't know whether they were always that composition or that's something newer.

Anyone ever used Hawk Performance or Satisfied Pro brand? Here are a few links to look at:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/

http://www.satisfiedbrakes.com/brakes/index.html#

http://www.axxisbrakes.com/deluxe.html

I'm not sure whether there are any aftermarket mfg's for the rear shoes. Maybe you have to go OEM on those?
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
my opinion satisfied is garbage. When i used to work at wheel works years ago they had massive comebacks for all the brake jobs we did that used satisfied.

I have used hawk before. I noticed depending on which compound you use even the street ones. They have slightly less stopping power than the factory pads. But once you warm them up after some aggresive driving then they start to bite really good.

Which is normally the tradeoff if your going with any type of high performance pad.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I don't know for sure, but someone told me Toyota uses "Akebono." I had them installed on my last car and they last a long time. My friend who hauls a trailer with an SUV, tells me that the Akebono last three times longer that other pads that were installed.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Carbotech.... I have the 1521 pads and they work better, and have lasted longer than OEM...

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...7&categoryId=3
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
OEM would be OK for most applications.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
OEM all the way.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Bendix gives you a coupon good for another FREE pair of pads if you wear the ones you just bought out.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
mras

Drives: '08 Yaris liftback
I have used Hawk on other vehicles, and they work fine. Not too much dust, either. Stay away from the cheap auto zone junk, they wear as quickly as installing styrafoam.

Also, whether or not the car is still under warranty would determine which I would choose. If you still have a warranty, definatley get the OEM pads. That way, if there are issues with tires, wheels, suspension, etc., it will be covered no questions asked. When you tamper with safety devices (this includes brakes), it tends to void the warranty on thoes particular parts.
mras is offline   Reply With Quote