Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #37
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I will bet you $100 that you can't find any proof where Bridgestone recommended to Toyota to put 32 PSI in their 185 60R 14 tires for the Yaris.
There is probably an industry guidelines for tire type and sizes. The amount of load on a tire and the corresponding the PSI are in those guidelines. It's Toyota's responsibility to pick a correct tire and recommend the proper PSI.

The weight of a vehicle does matter. If the Yaris was a 1,000 pounds heavier or lighter their might be a different tire or PSI recommendation. On the chart below for the Dodge Ram you will note that the front tires for a light load with the diesel require 10 to 15 PSI more than the V-8. Why? Because the diesel weighs a lot more. Notice when the truck goes from light load to heavy load the PSI for the rear tires go from 40 to 70 or 80. Why? Because as the weight increases there is an additional need to increase the PSI. There are some idiots that would put 120 PSI in the rears. Do you really think that "The.Tire.Company." made this chart for Dodge? More likely Dodge engineers figured the load for the tires in different situations and used the tire guidelines from the manufactures put together this chart.
This chart is for a 6 wheel Dodge rather than a 4 wheel Dodge, correct?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #38
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
how do I jack up my yaris? I work at a auto repair shop...so...chassis lift on the toyota reccomended lift points....muahahahahah.

as far as tires...i wouldnt ever over inflate a cheap OEM equipment radial...thats just me though. I have worked at dealerships before and I have seen the results of over and under inflating said cheap tires. most tires wear evenly at 5-10 pounds under max pressure rating.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
This chart is for a 6 wheel Dodge rather than a 4 wheel Dodge, correct?
No. This chart is the Dual (6 tire) 1 ton 4X4.

The last post was for a 2004 3/4 ton 4X4 which weighs 7,000 pounds. I think the 1 ton is 500 pounds heavier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck tire 1.jpg (39.3 KB, 794 views)
Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #40
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Could anyone take a picture of how they jack up the back end of the sedan? The picture and the manual isn't clear enough for me to figure out exactly where this point is.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
how do I jack up my yaris? I work at a auto repair shop...so...chassis lift on the toyota reccomended lift points....muahahahahah.

as far as tires...i wouldnt ever over inflate a cheap OEM equipment radial...thats just me though. I have worked at dealerships before and I have seen the results of over and under inflating said cheap tires. most tires wear evenly at 5-10 pounds under max pressure rating.
Nice!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #42
touroxin

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5M Blazing Blue HB
Yeah, boy that would be helpful!
Anyone who has a digital camera, a Yaris (HB or Sedan), and knowledge of the jack points... Please post a picture of said jack points so Voodoo22 and I can verify the jack points on our cars??
Thanks fellow Yaris owners!!!
touroxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #43
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I can tell you two facts about tire rotation wear from personal experience and some engineering research:

FWD vehicles suffer significantly more wear to the front tires than the rear for three reasons: engine/tranny weight, steering wear, acceleration/braking wear (depends on the driver). Rotation will definitely aid in equalizing this wear between the 4 tires.

Modern steel belted radials shold only rotate in one direction, and do risk delamination/belt twisting when run on the opposite side of the vehicle, though the risk varies greatly depending on vehicle type, tire sidewall height and inflation pressure. Often the tire will not fail, but the lateral belts can become "curved" in the original rotation direction, and then resist flex in that direction when reversed. On larger tires (33" on my Jeep) this can result in a noticeable wave in the tread. Also, I have seen tires blow-out after being installed (used) without knowing the original rotation, although that could have been caused by a number of other factors too.

Bottom line: Rotate your tires regularly if you prefer to replace all 4 at once and want to get the maximum mileage from your tires. don't rotate at all if you don't mind replacing 2 at a time or don't care if 2 of your tires still have more tread left when you replace them.
NEVER cross-rotate modern radial tires, directional or not. :)
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #44
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by touroxin View Post
Anyone who has a digital camera, a Yaris (HB or Sedan), and knowledge of the jack points... Please post a picture of said jack points so Voodoo22 and I can verify the jack points on our cars??
I think we may have to start our own thread on this as it seems this thread seems to have been hijacked by tire rotators
Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #45
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
I can tell you two facts about tire rotation wear from personal experience and some engineering research:

FWD vehicles suffer significantly more wear to the front tires than the rear for three reasons: engine/tranny weight, steering wear, acceleration/braking wear (depends on the driver). Rotation will definitely aid in equalizing this wear between the 4 tires.

Modern steel belted radials shold only rotate in one direction, and do risk delamination/belt twisting when run on the opposite side of the vehicle, though the risk varies greatly depending on vehicle type, tire sidewall height and inflation pressure. Often the tire will not fail, but the lateral belts can become "curved" in the original rotation direction, and then resist flex in that direction when reversed. On larger tires (33" on my Jeep) this can result in a noticeable wave in the tread. Also, I have seen tires blow-out after being installed (used) without knowing the original rotation, although that could have been caused by a number of other factors too.

Bottom line: Rotate your tires regularly if you prefer to replace all 4 at once and want to get the maximum mileage from your tires. don't rotate at all if you don't mind replacing 2 at a time or don't care if 2 of your tires still have more tread left when you replace them.
NEVER cross-rotate modern radial tires, directional or not. :)
So it sounds like you are saying that tires have a mind of their own....or maybe even a computer chip that tells what side of the car it should be on??
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #46
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by touroxin View Post
The rear jack up point is 4 inches in front of the license plate. 1st picture using a 3 ton floor jack.

The side jack up points are between V notches close to the front and rear tires. 2nd and 3rd picture using the car jack. The cheapest car jack I have ever used.

The front jack up point is about 32 inches from the front bumper using a 2 ton floor jack. The 3 ton jack was hard to fit under the car. Remember to use parking brake when jacking up the front.

When I rotate tires I'll use the 2 & 3 ton jacks on one side of the car at a time. I don't think that I'll ever have the need to jack up the front or rear tires at the same time. These pictures are from a 2008 hatchback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris Jack 010.jpg (48.1 KB, 1009 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris Jack 011.jpg (57.1 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris Jack 013.jpg (56.8 KB, 945 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris Jack 016.jpg (56.6 KB, 942 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris Jack 018.jpg (59.5 KB, 931 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #47
touroxin

Great!!!
Thanks!!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #48
voodoo22

Nice pictures, now could someone with a sedan do the same?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #49
touroxin

I think the Sedan is the same, it is just that the rear jack point is in the middle instead of more to the passenger side.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #50
PenquinZ111

Drives: RC yRs LB
i use a lift. since i do work a at dealership
PenquinZ111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #51
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i just use the side jack point closer to the front of the car (behind the front wheel) and jack it all the way up....i do one side at a time for rotation.....

so rear passenger --> front passenger and front passenger --> to rear passenger then i do the same for the drivers side...

this way i only have to jack up once per side and it works whether you have direction tires or not....
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #52
justlkn
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenquinZ111 View Post
i use a lift. since i do work a at dealership
Just installed winter tires on the Yaris, using a trunk jack.. I have a lift in my shop, but really hate lifting vehicles with no frame.. Pickup trucks are easy.. what would one use for lift points on a yaris.
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #53
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ same as the jack points. My car has been on a lift more times than I can remember. If you don't want to mess up that lip underneath, insert a slotted block to preserve it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #54
N3misiS

Drives: Yaris T1 1KRFE
WHy dont you ask for help at a tire place and put the car on the lift, my dealer does it free...

It saves a lot of frustration....
its quicker.