Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
trwxxa

Drives: 2009 yaris 5-speed Manual
When should I start using synthetic oil??

My 2009 yaris has just passed 15,000. 95% highway and already getting 45-50 mpg. When should I change over to synthetic oil and can I increased the change period to 7,500 or even 10,000 miles. Don't want to void the warrenty, so might continue at 5,000 until I reach 36,000 which should be around christmas.

Thanks,

Mike
trwxxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
The synthetic oil in the US is "fake" so just keep running your favorite "conventional" API SM oil and you're good to go. The Syntheics here are at most semi-synthetics and have marginal improvements in cold viscosity and sludge generation and cleaning. The Two Top picks in a premium oil would be: Penzoil Platinum, and, Mobil-1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 - a much better oil than regular Mobil-1 5w-30. If you want to spend 8-10 bucks a litre then you can step up to "real" synthetic from Europe which would be: Motul, Total, Fuchs, Pentosin - just be prepared to purchase online. Your oil filter choice is MORE important; ditch that cheap Thailand Toyota filter F-A-S-T and get a Purolator pure one or Mobil-1 or Bosch.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Amsoil is real synthetic, right?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
i went fully synthetic after the first 3000 miles on my car =)
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I think Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple are all real synthetics. I heard 20k? I dunno, that's about when I switched.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
36,000 miles is just for the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

60,000 miles/5years is for the powertrain warranty which includes the engine, tranny, & airbags.

So, technically you won't be out of the woods until 5 years/60,000 miles. Personally, just to stay within warranty, I am using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum every 5,000 miles. Once I get brave enough, I am gonna get some of that fancy Amsoil and run it for 15,000 miles. Its my car, so what?
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeemee View Post
I think Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple are all real synthetics. I heard 20k? I dunno, that's about when I switched.
I believe they are all group IV..... And I think he's talking about group V.

RP is like $8.5/qt at walmart. As soon as i'm out of free oil changes i'll upgrade from mobil to RP and prolly go 10k with a filter change every 3k.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
trwxxa

Drives: 2009 yaris 5-speed Manual
thanks for all the replies.
trwxxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I believe they are all group IV..... And I think he's talking about group V.

RP is like $8.5/qt at walmart. As soon as i'm out of free oil changes i'll upgrade from mobil to RP and prolly go 10k with a filter change every 3k.
Amsoil XL series (probably their biggest seller?) is not group IV, it's group III

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
36,000 miles is just for the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

60,000 miles/5years is for the powertrain warranty which includes the engine, tranny, & airbags.

So, technically you won't be out of the woods until 5 years/60,000 miles. Personally, just to stay within warranty, I am using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum every 5,000 miles. Once I get brave enough, I am gonna get some of that fancy Amsoil and run it for 15,000 miles. Its my car, so what?
I'm also using Pennzoil Platinum (5w-30)...it's API approved, plus it has the same A5/B5 ACEA rating of Amsoil's real expensive non-API approved HP series.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Giobatera

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I went synthetic right after my first oil change.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
I changed to Amsoil at around 2500 miles. I use the racing oil as opposed to the extended drain interval oil because of the AX and TTs I'm doing. I went to 9000 miles on that change.

Amsoil compares very favorably with other synthetic oils and is priced competitively especially when the extended drain intervals are considered.

Amsoil is a pure synthetic oil and is used in many racing venues and is the title sponsor for the TRAXXS Offroad Truck Series this year.

I am using the Signature series oils and extended range filter in a 06 Honda Civic (wife's), my 04 FORD F-250 and use the 2 cycle racing oils in my 7 go karts (Yamaha KT 100s and Rotax 125) used for my karting school and personal racing.

Motul is huge in karting by the way. It retails around here at about 1/3 more and must be mixed at a higher ratio. My KT 100s were using 1/20 Motul mix and now use a 1/30 Amsoil mix and could go as low as 1/50. I use the same 1/40 mix with Amsoil as Motul in the Rotax.

There are many partial and full synthetics available, obviously I'd like people to compare and consider using Amsoil.

I'm convinced Amsoil is a high quality and economical product for all my uses.

Of course I'd love to see my Amsoil business (TruLube.com) do well with the Yaris folks and others, but people have there own opinions and trying to convince otherwise is, as they say, futile.

Please check out my Store Front and delve into the information provided by Amsoil and decide for yourselves.
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
I changed to Amsoil at around 2500 miles. I use the racing oil as opposed to the extended drain interval oil because of the AX and TTs I'm doing. I went to 9000 miles on that change.

Amsoil compares very favorably with other synthetic oils and is priced competitively especially when the extended drain intervals are considered.

Amsoil is a pure synthetic oil and is used in many racing venues and is the title sponsor for the TRAXXS Offroad Truck Series this year.

I am using the Signature series oils and extended range filter in a 06 Honda Civic (wife's), my 04 FORD F-250 and use the 2 cycle racing oils in my 7 go karts (Yamaha KT 100s and Rotax 125) used for my karting school and personal racing.

Motul is huge in karting by the way. It retails around here at about 1/3 more and must be mixed at a higher ratio. My KT 100s were using 1/20 Motul mix and now use a 1/30 Amsoil mix and could go as low as 1/50. I use the same 1/40 mix with Amsoil as Motul in the Rotax.

There are many partial and full synthetics available, obviously I'd like people to compare and consider using Amsoil.

I'm convinced Amsoil is a high quality and economical product for all my uses.

Of course I'd love to see my Amsoil business (TruLube.com) do well with the Yaris folks and others, but people have there own opinions and trying to convince otherwise is, as they say, futile.

Please check out my Store Front and delve into the information provided by Amsoil and decide for yourselves.
But I'm right about the XL series being group III, right? Says so on their website. And there are theories about their group III XL series (their only API approved series) about it not even being 100% full synthetic, since the "100% synthetic" claim is somehow missing on the front label of the XL bottles, while proudly stated elsewhere on so many of their other products.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 06-08-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If you're going to use extended drain intervals with synthetic oils, you'd better be certain your driving is of the extended interval sort. I damaged a couple of engines back in the '70s-'80s by adopting the 25K mile change intervals Mobil 1 used to recommend. I'm of the opinion that unless you're doing exclusively extended engine-on runs, either long highway trips or the sort of constant running that taxicabs do, that frequent changes are important regardless of what oil you're using, and that if you're changing the oil frequently you have little to gain from synthetic oils. I'm not using them now and don't plan to.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
You're right about that.

Amsoil describes the type of use that applies to the extended drain intervals.

Some folks definitely need to reduce the change interval, but many others can benefit from the higher interval.

We use the 100% signature series and even if we decide to do a shorter drain interval based on driving habits we can still save some dollars and I don't worry about getting a change nearly as often.

There are plenty of opinions and personal preferences for sure. I am confident the facts speak for themselves and leave it to everyone to do what they think is best for their situation.

I'll try to provide some links later, but now must get the car ready for the Porsche Club Time Trial coming up. 3.2 miles of track with just three cars with you each run. Hopefully my little cameras will work this time...
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Any one got any links to Mobil1's non viability as a true synthetic?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you can run synthetic at any time. the engine will still break in no matter what...there is no oil out there that will eliminate wear. it may take a little while longer, but the engine will still wear.

also, the engine takes about 2500 miles to break in if you do it right. and i've seen them break in under a thousand. you need plenty of red lights, and daily driving. mountains are good as well...anything to keep the engine rpm going up/down and demand for power going up/down as well.

to determine if you need to change your oil....look at the freakin dipstick. it doesnt matter if the bottle tells you to change it at 3k or 30k....if it's dark change it and the filter. simple...reliable...and has worked for me for 15yrs.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
to determine if you need to change your oil....look at the freakin dipstick. it doesnt matter if the bottle tells you to change it at 3k or 30k....if it's dark change it and the filter. simple...reliable...and has worked for me for 15yrs.
Interesting theory, but I wonder why it is illegal for mechanics to recommend engine or transmission fluid changes based on fluid color.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote