Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
JustDidIt

Drives: '08G2T Prius
Quantum turbo kit on 1NZFXE NHW20...Prius?

Been on the forum for a while snooping around. Trying to find ways to make the lil Toyota hybrid a bit quicker. Yes, i know, if i wanted a race car, i picked the wrong platform to start from. I'm not looking for TONS of power but if I made 30-50 more hp, I'd be happy.

Started out by first making a custom MAF housing so I could create a different rather short ram intake. I got improved throttle response and really just a bit more noise.

Next was a full custom exhaust by first grabbing a DC header from a Yaris, removing 1 cat, resonator and all factory piping and going the 2" mandrel bent piping thru a couple Magnaflow mufflers. People were/are still quite surprised at the sound. Been told it sounds a bit deeper than a VQ at times.

After that came many suspension mods... really to many to list. Lets just say its definitely not stock and no longer handles like a typical Prius.

Always wanted to do the infamous Prius piston and 1NZFE intake camshaft combo. But from other sources the Prius ECU is a tricky one along with other Toyota's but has to contend and play nicely along with the High Voltage ECU. According to Toyota techs, if I added the Otto style 1NZFE cams to my Atkinson style engine, the HV ECU would read the lower RPM of the 1NZFE cams and throw a CEL within 5 seconds. I believe the code is P3191.

I then decided to get a "piggy-back" fuel controller that would allow for 30% more fuel by adding an additional injector pulse so that I could run E85. I purchased 1ZZFE injectors to help with the additonal fuel as they are supposed to be rated at 255/260cc and the 1NZFE/1NZFXE are supposed to be rated at 200/210cc. The kit allowed for manual control of the E85 ratio. The 'free' kit i received was faulty and I never got any type of timing control to help with advance the timing...so that died as well.

So I stuck with just monitoring with the Torque app. 40.1MPG is with heavy 19" wheels and "spirited driving".

Fast forward to the new year 2017...

A auction for a turbo kit that came of the Quantum hydrogen prius recently came available. The kit sat for months and never sold. I msg'd the seller when he first posted it for sale and asked questions about specifics and information. The seller knew little. After quite a while i made an offer on the auctioned item that was a 1/3 of the asking price and the seller accepted.

info on the original Hydrogen setup..back in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nL4iuE2Fqo

Quote:
... about 10% of a Fuel Cell vehicle...We are just below 6 figures...
Hahahahah!!

Quantum apparently made about 30 of these cars. They were sold for around $95,000 as a government funded project. More recently, the kits are being removed and people are returning the cars back to stock. Thus, where this kit came from.

..and before I knew it, it arrived. The little Garrett GT1241. Tiny little guy. At some point, i'll prob need to make a new turbo header manifold and increase the diameter of the exhaust runners...but...one thing at a time. I need to get it running first.

Apparently running hydrogen thru the 1NZFXE made the engine lose so much HP, they had to turbo the car to get it back near OEM specs. The 1NZFXE is supposed to be rated at 74HP and the turbo kit with hydrogen managed to get it back to 70HP.

My idea is to run a low amount of boost that the Hybrid Synergy drive doesn't freak out. I then started looking into some sort of piggy-back system. After reading on here and all the mixed reviews, I found a deal on a Power Enterprise Camcon but was too slow on the draw and lost out on the deal. I then started on the wiring pin out for the ECM as they are different than most typical 1NZFE but was able to get thus far so that when another system came available, i'd be ready.

Then...another deal became available...and with my wife's blessing...i bought a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate for cheeaap. So now, i'm looking at the additional pins I need to figure out since the Greddy EMU has so many more wires. Even contemplated buying a 1NZFE boomslang harness and just swapping wires so I don't have to cut my own harness. This setup is still being determined. I've picked up a set of 2 step colder NGK plugs. I'll still need to pick up 1ZZFE injectors. From research, I'll need to boost fuel pressure and run a return line. I'm also looking at possibly having someone local to the Dallas Texas area install the Greddy EMU and tune the car....still TBD.

This is where I got a lot of my inspiration..a turbo NHW10. 1st Gen Turbo Prius.

1st_Supercharged_then_Turboed_NHW10_Prius_optimized.pdf

But this is where i'm at on the install... its like it was practically designed for a Prius... oh wait... it came off a Prius. If anyone has advice... I'm all ears.

To be continued....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_TRD_exhaust_01.jpg (45.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_gauges.jpg (228.0 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_Quantum_Turbo_01.jpg (66.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_Quantum_Turbo_02.jpg (63.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_Quantum_Turbo_03.jpg (61.0 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_TRD_wheels.jpg (34.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-01-24.jpg (42.3 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_Intake_01.jpg (95.5 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_E85_01.jpg (147.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_E85_02.jpg (140.8 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg NHW20_Prius_Quantum_Turbo_04.jpg (58.6 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by JustDidIt; 01-25-2017 at 12:53 AM.
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:47 AM   #2
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
We have a 1NZ-FE on a prius II simulator in our technical training facilities and it runs fine
no cel . The 1NZ-fxe was destroyed by a tech leaving the cam gear loose... lol

Nice Prius BTW!
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp13 View Post
We have a 1NZ-FE on a prius II simulator in our technical training facilities and it runs fine

no cel . The 1NZ-fxe was destroyed by a tech leaving the cam gear loose... lol

Nice Prius BTW!
Thanks for the compliment!

And you have all the same ECUs and sensors..including a HV and 1NZFXE ECU?? That is VERY interesting! If I can get another +/- 15hp just by swapping in the 1NZFE camshaft, that would be amazing!! Thx! That'll be the next thing I try once the EMU is wired in along with the turbo kit. I've been eyeballing an whole remanufactured head assembly VS a came swap. I'm already pushing 160k on this engine.

Last edited by JustDidIt; 01-25-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
I saw a few months ago that a Quantum kit was on eBay for sale. I even thought out picking it up possibly, but decided I had no idea what or how it ran. Love your build Sir!

Have you ever read the 1st Gen Prius AutoWeek forced induction builds? Scratch that, just saw your links, lol! I loved the AMR300 and the mini-turbo kit to avoid the infamous, "turtle".
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
I saw a few months ago that a Quantum kit was on eBay for sale. I even thought out picking it up possibly, but decided I had no idea what or how it ran. Love your build Sir!

Have you ever read the 1st Gen Prius AutoWeek forced induction builds?
Thanks!

That was actually the inspiration for my build. Have read the articles dozens of times.. going over the problems that he had. Have even emailed Julian Edgar a couple times to ask him a few questions. I actually compiled all of the articles and put them into a PDF and attached them to the first post but for some reason it broke the attachment.

https://priuschat.com/attachments/1s...zed-pdf.56337/
Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post
Thanks for the compliment!

And you have all the same ECUs and sensors..including a HV and 1NZFXE ECU?? That is VERY interesting! If I can get another +/- 15hp just by swapping in the 1NZFE camshaft, that would be amazing!! Thx! That'll be the next thing I try once the EMU is wired in along with the turbo kit. I've been eyeballing an whole remanufactured head assembly VS a came swap. I'm already pushing 160k on this engine.
We have a full prius II with all ecus interior confort etc. Fully functional.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
JustDidIt

Anyone have a preference over the two spark plugs?

NGK (2667) BKR7EIX with Gap: .031

VS

NGK (6988) BKR7EIX-11 IX with Gap: .43 (closer to OEM specs)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
JustDidIt

Quote:
That is very encouraging. Thx for the heads up! The two engines have so much in common - except the pistons, rings, crank and cam and cam gear.

From the 1.5 1NZ-FE: Yaris, Echo, Scion xB & xA

Cam 1: 13502-21031 (Prius: 13502-21021)
Cam 2: 13501-21030 (Prius: 13501-21060)
Cam Gear: 13050-21041 (Prius: 13050-21051)
Sprocket: 13050-21041 (SAME AS PRIUS)
Timing Chain: 13506-21050 (SAME AS PRIUS)
Rings: 13011-21041 (Prius: 13011-21100)
Pistons: 13101-21070 (Prius: 13101-21110)
Rods: 13201-29735 (SAME AS PRIUS)
Bearings: all three (SAME AS PRIUS)
Cylinder Head: 11101-21062 (SAME AS PRIUS)

Even the valves are the same...
Old 01-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
JustDidIt

Anyone know the actual specs on the 1ZZFE injectors? I've heard an array of answers on the CC range.

Looking at these - both listed for the Toyota 1.8

23250-22040

vs

23250-0D050

Anyone know the difference?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Id suggest keeping the turbo runners small and even the small turbo. faster more useful spool.

for a street turbo its always best to err to the small side unless your going nuts

Id also wrap the manifold especially where the turbo charge pipe passes thru it...that's not doing any favors.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Id suggest keeping the turbo runners small and even the small turbo. faster more useful spool.

for a street turbo its always best to err to the small side unless your going nuts

Id also wrap the manifold especially where the turbo charge pipe passes thru it...that's not doing any favors.

Good idea... as the charge pipe does run thru that area... so wrapping will be in order. Thx!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
MugenRep

Any chance you'd get another turbo manifold or downpipe made based on that? I know the Scion iQ community does the same style setup.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
JustDidIt

Quote:
Any chance you'd get another turbo manifold or downpipe made based on that? I know the Scion iQ community does the same style setup.
The downpipe looks large enough 2"-2.5", but I'm looking at upgrading the manifold depending on how much boost i end up running. I'll keep it as is for now...
Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
MugenRep

Quote:
The downpipe looks large enough 2"-2.5", but I'm looking at upgrading the manifold depending on how much boost i end up running. I'll keep it as is for now...
I meant, make copies, lol. The Scion iQ with it's 1NR-FE has a similar arrangement for most of where our (iQ and Prius) turbo systems would lie and our compression ratios are up there 11.5:1. There are at least 5 guys with budgets of $2000 that were interested in turbo kits for the iQ. Biggest thing holding it back is lack of downpipe & manifold, although flipping a 1NZ-FE turbo manifold upside down would work.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
JustDidIt

Quote:
I meant, make copies, lol. The Scion iQ with it's 1NR-FE has a similar arrangement for most of where our (iQ and Prius) turbo systems would lie and our compression ratios are up there 11.5:1. There are at least 5 guys with budgets of $2000 that were interested in turbo kits for the iQ. Biggest thing holding it back is lack of downpipe & manifold, although flipping a 1NZ-FE turbo manifold upside down would work.
I currently do not have the means for welding. Anything I need welded has to be done offsite. Once I get this kit actually functional and I determine that i need larger piping on the header, I'll pull it off and have one fabricated. Once thats completed, I'd def let someone try to fit the old Quantum header on their car.

Has anyone tried the Zage kit? If someone grabbed one of those, especially if you have confirmed the 1NZ header works, with some different intercooler piping, it would probably work. Piping is relatively cheap...$200 for what you would probably need. Not even sure what the Zage kits runs these days...used to be under $2K i thought.

Heck, if I COULD weld and had a welder, I'd probably started this process a long time ago. I'd LOVE to fab my own header and downpipe...
Old 01-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
MugenRep

Quote:
I currently do not have the means for welding. Anything I need welded has to be done offsite. Once I get this kit actually functional and I determine that i need larger piping on the header, I'll pull it off and have one fabricated. Once thats completed, I'd def let someone try to fit the old Quantum header on their car.

Has anyone tried the Zage kit? If someone grabbed one of those, especially if you have confirmed the 1NZ header works, with some different intercooler piping, it would probably work. Piping is relatively cheap...$200 for what you would probably need. Not even sure what the Zage kits runs these days...used to be under $2K i thought.

Heck, if I COULD weld and had a welder, I'd probably started this process a long time ago. I'd LOVE to fab my own header and downpipe...
Sounds good. I actually posted up in the "Forced Induction" section a month or so ago with all the emails, names and connection info for the Zage kit and they're around $1200 now plus shipping.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #17
JustDidIt

Quote:
this has really peaked my interest. . .Have you ever driven a 1NZFXE prius in comparison to the one you have in the shop that has the 1NZFE?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
JustDidIt

Quote:
Sounds good. I actually posted up in the "Forced Induction" section a month or so ago with all the emails, names and connection info for the Zage kit and they're around $1200 now plus shipping.
This kit was a steal. For what i know of the Prius forcing the throttle closed after a specified HP range, I'm guessing that this tiny turbo kit will prob get me the max of what it will handle. Think Toyota put in some safety measures to keep the MG1 and MG2 from overheating. Julian Edgar spoke of this in his article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Edgar

Throttle Shut-Down

So what was making the electronic throttle momentarily close itself at full power? If in fact it was because the hybrid system couldn’t cope with the extra power, the effect would be most pronounced when power was at its maximum...say, on a cold night. And that’s just what proved to be the case. When the weather provided me with an 11-degree C evening, I was able to get the throttle-shutdown to repeatedly occur. (But what about those inconsistent full-load mixtures? Well, if the air/fuel ratio meter was watched like a hawk, it was possible to get in peak power runs with the mixtures satisfactorily rich. You just couldn’t do it consistently.)

So the obvious answer to the automatically closing throttle was to lower boost at the very top end, so reducing power. Since the greatest driving improvement over standard occurred due to the mid-range boost, dropping boost a bit at peak power would make very little difference. But how to decrease boost? With the ex-Subaru IHI turbo’s wastegate connected, 7 psi was the minimum boost available – and that’s what I was running. (The boost level had risen from 6 to 7 psi with the redesigned intake plumbing.) Modifying the turbo wastegate actuator to achieve a lower boost was possible, but it would mean taking off the turbo to access the wastegate actuator. Which in turn would mean removing a front driveshaft, taking off the exhaust, draining the ‘gearbox’ of oil, and so on. A lot of work.

Instead, was it possible to bleed off some of the boost? Already in the system was a GFB blow-off valve running a shortened internal spring – a modification performed on the valve when it was fitted to the supercharged car as a recirc valve. In this design of valve, boost pushes on the base of the piston, trying to open it against both the internal spring pressure and the pressure in the boost-sensing hose. If the boost being fed in via the hose was reduced, it was likely that the internal piston would be pushed open, so allowing some boost to escape. By placing a bleed solenoid in the boost pressure feed hose, the pressure in this hose could be regulated. using the Independent Electronic Boost Control (IEBC) kit, the action of this solenoid valve could be mapped.

The system was quickly set up and the solenoid valve opening set to 0 per cent at lower injector duty cycles. (The IEBC kit sets its output duty cycles on the basis of input injector duty cycles. That is, any relationship between injector duty cycle – ie engine load – and output duty cycles can be set via the hand controller.) At higher engine loads, the solenoid was gradually brought on line, until at very high engine loads, it was completely open, so acting as a bleed of the boost pressure in the feed hose to the blow-off valve.

The mapping of the control system was initially done very coarsely but the system soon showed it was possible to drop boost to 5 psi at the top end of the engine power band. This stopped the auto throttle shut-down procedure – the system was sufficiently sensitive that even a 2 psi boost decrease made enough difference.
What I don't know is if it is limited to a HP range or a boost limitation at a specific RPM... time will tell. I'm guessing the Zage kit would have been too much for the 1NZFXE...

Last edited by JustDidIt; 06-17-2017 at 04:20 PM.