Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Tiny-Tunerz

Drives: '04 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
Yaris LB(Loaded) vs. Hyundai Accent SE

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of each? I am debating between the two.
Tiny-Tunerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Why do people always come here and do this?

Hyundai is gross that's my opinion. We all drive Toyota Yaris. What do you think we are going to say?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
there is a thread from a couple of weeks ago discussing these two cars, pros and cons.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Toyota vs. Hyundai... Hmmmm, let me think. Get Real!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
Step on over to Hyundaiworld (if there is a place) and asked the same question. You'll probably get bounced out of there too.

I've had a Hyundai in the past and from the last couple of days of owning my Yaris HB, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to look further into the Yaris.

Here is all the proof you're going to need. Find the Hyundai you are interested in, open the driver's door and then shut it, hard if you'd like. Then do the same to a Yaris. That's all the testing you'll have to do.

The reason these companies put 100,000 miles / 10 year warranties on their cars (which you pay extra for...read the fine print) is that people need that extra assurance. Funny how the extended warranties sell the car and the car itself doesn't sell the car.

It's your choice and your nickel. You have that 'puter in front of you. Look up resale values, cost of ownership, etc etc etc.

I have yet to read where Hyundai has passed GM and Ford in total sales.

Just my 2 cents....

Good luck

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
I was the one who posted a similar thread a couple weeks ago (and ended up buying a Yaris).

Points in favor of the Accent:
- Best warranty around
- More standard safety features (even in the base model)
- More cargo room (although not that much more)
- Possibly a little cheaper; they have some rebates and such

Points in favor of the Yaris:
- Better gas mileage, especially in the city
- Cheaper to insure (for me the difference was about $17/month)
- Taller (better visibility)
- Unique look

I wanted to add "Toyota's reputation" to the latter list, but I don't think that's fair to Hyundai. By all accounts, they make very good cars these days but still haven't gotten over the poor reputation they earned back in the '80s and early '90s. A lot of people who know cars will affirm that Hyundais are great, affordable cars that nobody wants to drive simply because of the name.

For me, it was the gas mileage more than anything that made me buy a Yaris. It all depends on what's most important to you.
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
another thing is that the accent faired poorly in the insurance institute's (proper name?) crash testing,

the yaris rated good in front and side (with airbags), marginal in rear impact

the accent rated poor in front, side (even with airbags) and rear

and just for interest's sake, the fit rated good in front and side, poor in rear impact.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
You need to look beyond standard ABS brakes and look at the actual quality of the materials used in the car, and the most important thing, the MOTOR!! There is NO COMPARISON, I'll repeat that for ya, NO COMPARISON between a Hyundai motor and a Toyota motor.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
My wife and I test-drove them both and it was pretty tough. A couple (non-obvious) points we noticed:

* We looked at each in an automatic transmission, and the Yaris was geared better at the low end. Takeoff was noticeably quicker in the Yaris.
* The Yaris has a much simpler, "modern" look. I couldn't stand having the speedo in the center of the dash, but my wife loved it. The Accent had a much more conventional layout.
* The Yaris 3-door didn't come with an engine immobilizer system, where as the Accent did. Made a tiny difference in our insurance premium, but nothing really significant.

I think we were both a little more impressed with the Yaris but in the end it all came down to price. We were leaning toward the Accent at first as their price was marginally lower (offering below invoice) but on a whim my wife asked for a price-quote from one of the local dealers through their internet sales office and they blew our previous price out of the water.

She ended up driving the Yaris home that night for $1500 under MSRP.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Ah, the fond memories of watching my neighbour's Pony dissolve back into its original molecules before our very eyes... I find that Hyundais seem to look really tatty after a couple of years, and lose their sparkle.

That's not to say that Toyota was able to beat the corrosion problems, but my sister's Corona was still pulling like it was new before her son wiped it out. It had 180,000 miles on it, not bad for what he called "jap scrap". Huh.

Either way, whatever the difference between the two, the real savings are going to be in the fuel consumption; both are very reliable vehicles!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote