Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #1891
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Congratulations!!! SQcomp

"1st Place Pro-Am"

D.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #1892
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Derick,

Following up with the e-mail I dropped you tonight...

Go to the Audio section on your deck.

get to the 1/3 octave EQ portion.

Notice the L & R indicators? Selecting the EQ for either side is as simple as pressing the audio button in for three seconds. Then it should flip to either L or R to make specific side based adjustments.

Give it a try.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #1893
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
My ,what a sour puss in the pick,lol would it hurt that much to smile for winning.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #1894
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That's Mike Peterson. He's a good man. Just the wrong split second camera shot.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #1895
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Derick,
Go to the Audio section on your deck.
get to the 1/3 octave EQ portion.
Notice the L & R indicators? Selecting the EQ for either side is as simple as pressing the audio button in for three seconds. Then it should flip to either L or R to make specific side based adjustments.
Give it a try.
Thanks! I got it.

now lets get to learn and work... what do you think about these:

"When you are satisfied with the tonality of the system, it is time to start adjusting the left and right channels separately. These adjustments should not affect the tonality, but improve on the imaging and soundstaging. Using the Autosound 2000 Test CD 102 or 103 “My Disk” listen to the individual frequency pink noise tracks. (Test CD103 has the tracks arranged in an easier configuration.) Each frequency band should sound like it is coming from the center of the soundstage. If one band is off to one side, then use each band’s left and right eq controls as a balance control. This is very similar to the head unit’s balance control, only now you are balancing each frequency band by itself. For example if 200 Hz seems to be shifted to the left of center, lower the left 200 Hz band and raise the right 200 Hz band one dB at a time until the band is centered. If a frequency is shifted to the right, lower the band’s right channel and raise the left channel in small amounts." from a DIYMA member.

and this one....

"I must say that all I did was burn a CD that contained 0db tones that matched each one of the 31 bands on my EQ. Then I sat in my car for about 10 minutes and played each tone starting low and going up high. I kept my head perfectly still in the position I would normally drive down the road in.

Then I played each tone and adjusted the R and L EQ (graphic) and just played with cutting the R and then boosting the L and vice versa until I felt the sound was centered. Some bands needed up to +/- 3db and others needed no adjustment at all from what I could hear. And some bands I couldn't honestly resolve.

When I was done, I looked at my EQ and it was a MESS! LOL. Flipping back and forth between L and R yielded no pattern or symmetry at all. I thought, no possible way is this going to sound good. So I put in my Audiophile Female Vocal CD and cranked it up.

WELL SLAP MY A... AND CALL ME CHARLIE!! If Rebecca Pidgeon was 3 feet away from me she was a mile! It honestly felt like I had moved back in my seat, but my head had stayed in the same place the whole time. I estimate my stage moved 3" up and about 1 foot away...practially eliminating the windshield all together. I thought my stage was good before, but I damn near greased my shorts.

And the focus! Oh the focus...like I've never heard. Like scary real! Apparently sound recordings are done in actuall rooms, because it sounds like the singer is contained in a space, rather than just singing into a microphone"
... from another DIYMA member even though he has been banned

D.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #1896
derickveliz2

So for the record... here are my x-over points, EQ and Time Alignment as of today... Before the R - L EQ process:

D.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #1897
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Its amazing what you can do with the P99!!
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #1898
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
too bad you couldn't copy your settings onto usb and sell them. That is some amazing stuff.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #1899
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Derick and I discussed a topic close to this yesterday. Even Derick's settings won't work for me...even though we're using similar speakers and the same type of deck (sort of).

Aiming, placement, speaker differences, and available power are just some of the factors that will change the sound from one Yaris to another.

...and damn you Derick! You cheat using that nice camera! :D I'd post up mine tonight if you'd like.

Derick's also not showing that you can change the crossover settings and the EQ from left to right on the P99. THAT is the cherry on top!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #1900
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Derick and I discussed a topic close to this yesterday. Even Derick's settings won't work for me...even though we're using similar speakers and the same type of deck (sort of).

Aiming, placement, speaker differences, and available power are just some of the factors that will change the sound from one Yaris to another.

...and damn you Derick! You cheat using that nice camera! :D I'd post up mine tonight if you'd like.

Derick's also not showing that you can change the crossover settings and the EQ from left to right on the P99. THAT is the cherry on top!

I agree, for example I told you guys (9 or 10 posts above) I put my old Pioneer amp on the I6SW and my settings changed a lot, one little thing even like 5 or 10 degrees in Aiming makes everything so different, even with the Auto tuning of the P99 the numbers are so different and sounds good, but not good enough.

And the most important factor, every body listens in a different way, what sounds good for me probably won't sound good for some one else.

I didn't cheat using my old Nikon, that is why I like Picasa, makes my pictures look good! Yes please post yours

a cherry on top! yes indeed! it's like having to systems in one!

AUTO... T/A :

Yesterday Manual T/A using my ears and the sub up front:

D.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #1901
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I took a grip of pics tonight with the point and shoot. I'll load them tomorrow night. On e thing I learned tonight was that I can't hear $hit over 17kHz. It was funny to me...I was listening to the 1/3 octave tones and the sound just hit a wall of silence after 16kHz. I'm looking around thinking, "well, damn! No dog whistles for me."
Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #1902
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yeah but then again, pick which instrument out of the orchestra that goes over 16K. Synthesizer ok, but...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #1903
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Yeah but then again, pick which instrument out of the orchestra that goes over 16K. Synthesizer ok, but...
i think pink noise generator does the jon nicely.. it usually sits in the third row, fourth place from the left.. next to the horn and oboe

))
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #1904
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
^^^^^ Comment above = ))

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #1905
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

You guys can be brutal sometimes!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1906
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Lolll!!!!

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #1907
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I think back in 2007 or 2008 I was playing with my HX-D2 HU and pioneer midranges S01RS (1 gen) . i was crossing them at 16 and 20 khz trying to hear the difference using pink/white noise - and could definitely hear smth.. note sure what exactly but this made me think that I could hear beyond 16 khz ))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAV4 midragnes.jpg (27.5 KB, 73 views)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #1908
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

^This is Tolm

:P