Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Home subwoofer adequate for musical application ?

So as none of you know except maybe those I met in person in the last 2 weeks, I'm getting a boat on the west coast of Canada and it's lacking sound.

It's a yacht type of boat, older type of course (I'm not that crazy rich), but still has 3 interior cabins and 2 upper decks, so I bought a second hand 5.1 surround sound system (Yamaha receiver and Polk Audio speakers) as well as a smart TV that kinda sucks (screw you samsung for not supporting 2011 hardware anymore !) but will be good enough to stream most of everything from my computer and usb drive and trough the tv and receiver.

Now on the upper command bridge there's a "west marine" branded receiver and two 6x9 marine speakers already there, so obviously it lacks some components but it's already a start. Since I'm on a budget here (not currently employed haha), I was trying to find a used powered sub setup locally for less than $100 but then I also see a lot of Polk Audio and other quality home theater powered subwoofers go for $60 give or take, might actually even be able to get a nice one for way cheaper if I wait long enough. The command bridge has a nice big console made out of marine plywood and fiberglass that stays pretty dry and clean, so I thought I could stick a sub in there and since the boat already has 120v systems it would be a decent option vs a car specific setup. Just not sure how well those subwoofer handle the fast pace of music, from what I've heard they are mostly stuck in very low frequency below 50hz due to their internal amp and crossover configuration unlike car subwoofer that play more in the 50-100hz and wondering if it would do anything good for music or if I'd only get the deck shaking rather than the deep hmmh and punch that I'm used to from car speakers and subs ?

So if anyone has legit experience, I'd love to hear what you've learned from such a setup !
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
David C

Got this guy today for $25 :)

IMG_2700.JPG
Old 05-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Damn, sweet deal. I have zero experience with marine stuff which is why I didn't chime in sooner. Regardless of whether or not it works, that little rig for $25 bucks seems like a great deal to me.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #4
David C

Meh, I'm trying to avoid going with marine stuff. Usually they simply have more waterproofing on the outside and that's about it. Think of it as an RV.

Yeah that rig should be good enough, gonna have to buy wires and cables, but it should do just fine on a budget type of setup.