Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Horn Relay?

I just picked up one of the Trombe Stebel Nautilus horns and just finished the install, except for the relay. Does anyone know if the OEM relay works for this horn, or should I use the one that came with the Nautilus horn? Where is the horn relay if I do need to change it?
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
new relay should be use if ur adding horn but if ur replacing stock horn then stock relay should work..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The OEM horn circuit (fuse, relay and wiring) is able to drive a 10A horn. If your new setup requires more current than that, you will need to add the included relay and use the existing horn circuit to drive the new relay. The OEM horn relay is in the engine compartment fuse panel by the way.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
I upgraded the OEM 10amp fuse to a 15amp fuse, as per the Nautilus DIY and everything seems to be working perfectly. I couldn't seem to find the horn relay in the under-hood fuse block, but it seems like I might not need it?
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
guess we'll see ;)

i always recommend a relay in this situation. is the "nautilus" horn an air horn?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Now I see why you can't find the relay - It's part of the "integration relay", which is the chunk of plastic that the horn fuse in mounted in.

In that case, I'd really be tempted to install an external relay to run the new horn. If you cook the OEM "integration relay" module you'll probably be looking at a few bucks to replace it.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
kierf

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
How does one go about adding an external relay? I have a set of air horns, and it is strongly recommended I use the external relay. Previous installs I've done have been on older cars and had a seperate horn relay.
kierf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierf View Post
How does one go about adding an external relay? I have a set of air horns, and it is strongly recommended I use the external relay. Previous installs I've done have been on older cars and had a seperate horn relay.
Take the feed to the existing horn and use it to feed the coil of the new horn relay (the existing horn is a one wire device, so that wire goes to one side of the relay coil and the other goes to a ground point).

Then, feed the new horn via the relay contacts (normally open). Connect an appropriately sized in-line fuse to the + terminal of the battery and from there to the common contact of the relay. Connect the normally open contact of the relay to the + wire for your new horn, and connect the - wire for your new horn to ground.