Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Front Tow Hook Mount

I was wondering if anyone knows on what part that the front tow hook is mounted onto. Whether its the Bumper reinforcement piece. Thanks
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
the part with the threads opposite of the looped end

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
07typeS

correct OTA
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 06-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
right below pass side headlight there is a 2"x2" rectangular cover that needs to be removed in order for the tow hook to be attached to the front bumper (reinforcement) bar

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
07typeS

LOL yea I know where its location is at.. My question was what the threads were attached to.. So it is the bumper reinforcement? I saw a picture of one online, and I didnt see it on there.. So i needed to make sure..
Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The bumper piece that goes from side to side has a hole through it and the tow hook screws into a threaded insert in right side piece that the bumper mounts to.

tow hook mount.jpg
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I am a relatively new Yaris owner and the "Tow Hook" has always had me wondering. Is it really bad for a tow truck to tow a Yaris the conventional way ?

I just have never seen a car with something called a tow hook. (especially only having 1 tow hook .. ) Maybe someone can explain how the car is towed via the tow hook. I have always seen tow trucks just lift the vehicle underneath the front wheels.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I am a relatively new Yaris owner and the "Tow Hook" has always had me wondering. Is it really bad for a tow truck to tow a Yaris the conventional way ?

I just have never seen a car with something called a tow hook. (especially only having 1 tow hook .. ) Maybe someone can explain how the car is towed via the tow hook. I have always seen tow trucks just lift the vehicle underneath the front wheels.
Everything up front is plastic, so it gives a solid attachment point for either pulling the vehicle (out of a ditch onto a flat bed truck for instance) or strapping it down (particularly for shipping them across the Pacific Ocean).
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
07typeS

Really appreciate the picture CTscott.. Thats what I was hoping for.. Im pretty sure thats called the bumper reinforcement.. I was in a minor fender bender a while ago, and i cant stress enough that it was minor.. I went to put in the tow hook earlier today and the tow hook was pointing upward at a 30 degree-ish angle, no way i was going to be able thread it through the whole.. The bumper isnt that far damaged so i was assuming that piece was knocked a little outta whack.. But the force of impact was so small, I was actually surprised..
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
Really appreciate the picture CTscott.. Thats what I was hoping for.. Im pretty sure thats called the bumper reinforcement.. I was in a minor fender bender a while ago, and i cant stress enough that it was minor.. I went to put in the tow hook earlier today and the tow hook was pointing upward at a 30 degree-ish angle, no way i was going to be able thread it through the whole.. The bumper isnt that far damaged so i was assuming that piece was knocked a little outta whack.. But the force of impact was so small, I was actually surprised..
That is the correct name for it. They are the primary front crumple zone, so they really crush. On Crashy both sides were both compressed to less than half of their original length.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That is the correct name for it. They are the primary front crumple zone, so they really crush. On Crashy both sides were both compressed to less than half of their original length.

I don't recall 100% off the top of my head, but IIRC they looked pretty straight forward to swap out...I thought they unbolted or something, but I could be way off on that.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
07typeS

Hey Mazilla I think you are correct.. Looks like it just unbolts.. im not sure if anything mounts to it though ie radiator or whatever.. Im sure I saw a wire loom attached to it, but other than that.. Straight forward.. From what CTscott was saying, this is probably going to be where the problem is but I really need to get the bumper off to check confirm..

**just looked at the picture above, duh, yes there is a wire loom attached haha**
Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Eli Lilly

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post

Not sure how things are there, but here, tows are done using a tilting-flatbed truck. The tow hook gives an anchor point for the truck's bed winch. The only time a vehicle is towed under the tires is usually when its being repossessed, and it's only towed a small distance away and then transferred onto a flatbed.

-E
Eli Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Does anyone know what thread is on the end of the tow hook?