Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Christopher
Cobra

Drives: '07 3-door
Leg Room

Has anyone figured out how to make the drivers side seat go back a little further for some added leg room? I have a '07 3-door and would like to sit back from the pedals a little further. Thanks, Chris
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
I'm 6'3" and with the seat all the way back I got plenty of room
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
come on guys let's see some serious answers

Once you go as far back as the stock sliding system will allow, there's not a lot of options, the only thing I can think about is going to a metalworking shop and asking them to offset the seat frame back a few inches. It won't be easy, it probably won't be pretty, but it will work.

But then, due to the car's steering wheel position, won't you feel lie you are reaching way too much to grab the wheel?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
before doing it, make sure the steering wheel won't stay too far from your hands

push the seat in front then look on the seat rails (in the rear of the seat), there are two metallic clips bent upwards- this stops the seat from moving backward. you might try to bend this down. also check the wires under the seat as there is a seat position switch connected with the airbag (depending on how far the seat is from the steering wheel , the airbag deploys later or earlier).
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
i hear an e-fight coming soon
Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
hey. have you ever worked with metal? if not a fab shop can help you. one thing you can do without lenthening the sliders or anything that extreme is pull the seat out and make some brackets for where it bolts to the floor. if you make a steel bracket to take the place of the stock one you can just lenthen where it blots to the floor. no redrilling of the floor boards, reversable, and cheaper. just pull the seat out and have a shop make a metal mounting plate that bolts to the floor but has more lenth facing the rear of the car the seat still blots down, just to a piece of steel the eventually bolts to the floor. all you should need is a piece of flat steel with a hole on one end and a bolt welded to the other end...make 4 of those and you are set. might need a cross brace between them, but you get the idea.

no permanent marring of the seat brackets, fab shop or you can take care of it, and the seat moves back further.

P.S. to all the jack offs...if you have nothing usefull to say do us all a favor and shut your trap...it will make this site more enjoyable.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
what the heck did I miss? seems like there are some deleted posts!

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Christopher
Cobra

Drives: '07 3-door
I believe my point has been proven!
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
If you modify the stock bracket you risk having it break in a serious accident.
You might be able to get an aftermarket slider assembly to work.

I'm 5'11" and my legs where always in an uncomfortable position when driving. I didn't think much of it until I got a new car and now it feels like I am driving in a Lazy-Boy.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
brick, have you been smoking again ?

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
I don't understand why all car companies don't do what BMW does and make the raills long enough so that you have the option to slide the seat back all the way.

In the case of the Yaris though; like someone said; you'll have to be careful you can still reach the steering wheel.

I'm 6'5" and do not have a millimeter to spare in the Yaris, but there is more leg room in this thing than the company van. The Van is a GM of course
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
tee hee, that made me giggle I think I love you
lol
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #13
shoebox

Drives: white '07 Yaris Liftback
Not as tall as voodoo22, but I did this. Took out the front mount bolts, bought 1 inch longer, grade 8 or better replacement bolts, 2 ea, allen head, used a stack of flat washers, about 5/8, to 3/4 inch, wrap in black electrical tape, so they don't end up all over the floor. Rear mount bolts have to come out as well, but can be used over. You must elongate the rear mounting holes, in the rear of the track with a round (rat tail) file. The front bolts go in at an angle, so the more spacers you use, the more you have to elongate the rear seat track holes. You will need a special female torx socket, I think #10, to remove the stock mount bolts. This change of seat angle, makes a big difference in thigh support, and comfort
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
Not as tall as voodoo22, but I did this. Took out the front mount bolts, bought 1 inch longer, grade 8 or better replacement bolts, 2 ea, allen head, used a stack of flat washers, about 5/8, to 3/4 inch, wrap in black electrical tape, so they don't end up all over the floor. Rear mount bolts have to come out as well, but can be used over. You must elongate the rear mounting holes, in the rear of the track with a round (rat tail) file. The front bolts go in at an angle, so the more spacers you use, the more you have to elongate the rear seat track holes. You will need a special female torx socket, I think #10, to remove the stock mount bolts. This change of seat angle, makes a big difference in thigh support, and comfort
I did the same, except with a 3/8 inch thick black machined spacer. Having the base of the seat tilted up a bit is a much better seating position. I'm 6'2" and have no problems.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote