Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
cold weather radio problems

Hey guys. I have a strange problem. My radio has been acting up recently but this morning (got off work at 6 am) and the temp outside was maybe low 50's to mid 40's Got in the car and started up some tunes and allowed the engine to warm up and let all the people who just fly out of the parking lot get out of there.

Well I went to hit the track change button and my radio powered down and ejected the cd. so i pushed the back in and tried to change tracks again. same problem. so i took the cd out and turned on the radio. every button i hit would power down the radio. then when i finally got some heat into the car i could start using the radio but there was no display. it was backlit but no information was being displayed. finally when i got home about 30 min later when the interior of the car was good and warm it started working.

Any ideas? I bought this car "toyota certified" with 20k miles on it and i have the platinum service plan (dont laugh and yes i know im an idiot) so i would think this would be covered.

Also seeing as i dont trust most dealership or big chain mechanics as far as i could throw them i wanted to do my own maintenance. what all do i need to do to keep toyota from telling me "we arent doing that because you voided your waranty by not complying with this service"

Thanks
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Mate, I too bought certified used,(8'500 miles) and the platinum warranty plan, I'm not laughing and I don't think your an idiot. We all have made decisions for whatever reasons, mine was piece of mind. Plus over a year had already run off the 3yr/36'000 when I got mine.

As far as your radio problems can't help you, you'll need to see the Wizard.

(CTScott)

cheers
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Thanks. I think im just going to take it in and make a warranty claim on it. I see no reason why this should not be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty i have and bought. the problem is going to be making it manifest itself for the tech. it only happens mostly when im leasing work in the morning. and its getting worse now that the nights are getting colder. but once the car is warm its fine. so ill probably take a video of it as i take off from work to show to the service department.

Thanks
Sean Scott

Ps. my reasons for getting the platinum plan were a better interest rate. im a first time car buyer so my interest with stock protection plan was 11.5 a little high in my book. toyota agreed to drop it down to 7.5 with purchases of plan so i agreed. same monthly amount but maybe a little more overall but i think it will benefit me in the long run
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote