Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Tiny Fiat 500 earns an unimpressive 30/38 MPG & 27/34 with automatic

Very disappointing but I have to say not surprising. We have much larger, more powerful cars like the Elantra, Cruze, & '12 Focus achieving 40 MPG. That makes this Fiat toy unacceptable IMO. Never mind that it starts at $16K. Fail.

Quote:
2011 marks the official return of Fiat here in the United States, with the adorable little 500 hitting dealerships in the coming weeks. With Fiat's MultiAir 1.4-liter engine under the hood, you'd be right to expect top-notch fuel economy numbers. And while the 500's EPA ratings of 30 miles per gallon in the city and 38 mpg on the highway aren't bad, it's not exactly what we were hoping for. For comparison, consider the fact that much larger C-segment entries like the Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze are all capable of achieving 40 mpg or higher (granted, you have to spec certain transmissions and option packages on the latter two in order to achieve it). What's more, the 30/38 mpg rating on the Fiat 500 is only with the five-speed manual transmission. Cars equipped with the six-speed self-shifter will only achieve 27/34 mpg. Ouch. Still, with prices starting at $15,995 for the entry-level Pop model, we don't think Fiat will have too much trouble moving 500s out of showrooms. Besides, the majority of people purchasing the Fiat 500 will be doing sobecause of its style rather than its frugality.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
kinda looks like a mini
that new 4 door mini looks pretty freakin cool i havent looked up its specs or anything
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Very disappointing but I have to say not surprising. We have much larger, more powerful cars like the Elantra, Cruze, & '12 Focus achieving 40 MPG. That makes this Fiat toy unacceptable IMO. Never mind that it starts at $16K. Fail.

Are those other cars rated at 40mpg or is this figure just achievable? Cause there's kind of a difference. The Yaris is rated around what this Fiat is but we know it can do much better. Most likely the Fiat will too. Plus I agree it looks a little like a Mini. Which is a good thing imo.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
Are those other cars rated at 40mpg or is this figure just achievable? Cause there's kind of a difference. The Yaris is rated around what this Fiat is but we know it can do much better. Most likely the Fiat will too. Plus I agree it looks a little like a Mini. Which is a good thing imo.
All of these numbers are official EPA ratings. The EPA tests every car the same way with their new "real world" testing procedures.

The 3 cars mentioned that get 40 mpg highway legitimately achieved that in the same testing that gave the Yaris a 35/36 highway rating. Most of us see more than 36 on the highway and it's safe to assume that most will also see more than 40 in the 3 cars rated at 40 (if driven at reasonable speeds).

In the case of the Cruze and '12 Focus, special ECO models only achieve the magical 40. All other models get around 38. All Elantra's get 40 though.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
frownonfun

so the non eco-model Cruze is estimated at 26/36 mpg
the non eco-model Focus is estimated at 28/38 mpg
and the Elantra is 29/40 mpg

I was just saying those numbers aren't THAT much better. In fact the city estimates for the FIAT are actually higher.

Don't get me wrong I'd probably still buy any one of those other models before a FIAT but still, I don't think you can bash them on mpgs alone... personally I think every manufacturer is dropping the ball in that area.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
so the non eco-model Cruze is estimated at 26/36 mpg
the non eco-model Focus is estimated at 28/38 mpg
and the Elantra is 29/40 mpg

I was just saying those numbers aren't THAT much better. In fact the city estimates for the FIAT are actually higher.

Don't get me wrong I'd probably still buy any one of those other models before a FIAT but still, I don't think you can bash them on mpgs alone... personally I think every manufacturer is dropping the ball in that area.
No hate intended. It's just that those cars are considerably larger. I see no other reason to get a micro-car if not for much better gas mileage. I say the same about the Smart. It's a motorcycle with doors yet only gets around 40 as well. What's the point? Cars this size should be pushing 50 MPG.

I Just can't see the Fiat succeeding unless a lot of people want an odd looking fashion statement.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
It's surprising to me that the auto trans has such a high mileage penalty. Trend lately is auto mileage is equal or greater than manual trans mileage.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
It's surprising to me that the auto trans has such a high mileage penalty. Trend lately is auto mileage is equal or greater than manual trans mileage.
I thought about that, and in a lower powered car (like the 500) the torque converter will eat a higher percentage of power, plus as a six-speed auto, it will shift more often, doubling the problem.
That's my take - happy to be told I'm wrong.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
No hate intended. It's just that those cars are considerably larger. I see no other reason to get a micro-car if not for much better gas mileage. I say the same about the Smart. It's a motorcycle with doors yet only gets around 40 as well. What's the point? Cars this size should be pushing 50 MPG.

I Just can't see the Fiat succeeding unless a lot of people want an odd looking fashion statement.
yeah i wasn't really considering weight. i couldn't find a weight on the fiat. although i didn't look all that hard. wonder how much less it is than those others.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
Plus NO HAGGLING on the price when it comes state-side. Which sucks cause there was a time 3 years a go when I was looking at the Saturn Sky. The dealer had it marked up to 28k(the car was a base model) and they didn't allow for any dealing on the price.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
SailDesign

The ten most economical cars in the UK, and all except the hybrid are - wait for it - diesel powered.
And yet they STILL refuse to sell small diesels in the US. <sigh>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...e.html?image=9
Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Kal-El

Some interior pics in case some haven't seen them...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I thought about that, and in a lower powered car (like the 500) the torque converter will eat a higher percentage of power, plus as a six-speed auto, it will shift more often, doubling the problem.
That's my take - happy to be told I'm wrong.
I can't/won't tell you you're wrong for sure but I thought most (all?) new autos have lock-up torque converters so highway mileage should be closer like in the Yaris (36/35; manual/auto).
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
And yet they STILL refuse to sell small diesels in the US. <sigh>
Because we don't want them. That includes me.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Because we don't want them. That includes me.
We hired a Renault Megane last time we went over there. Diesel, ugly as sin, but a real blast to drive. You really didn't notice it was a diesel. Forget the ones that sound like Harleys on crack, this thing was smooth as silk, and was giving 50 miles to the gallon happily, while taking out BMW 3-series on the twisty stuff. Fun!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Regardless of what we think, these things are selling like hotcakes in Europe...

I'll stick with my Yaris!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
And they will sell like hotcakes here, too; what a boost for Chrysler! My faith in Chrysler makes me think that they will bomb it somehow...

My buddy (long-time Fiat owner) is lusting after the 500, but I think he will be disappointed (as will I) at the sheer size and bulk of it. I remember the original 500 (and the topolino, the 850, the ll00 sports etc), and it was SMALL, even compared to a mini (the original). But, one has to have room for all the crap the US Government insists on, plus all the extras (7 air bags??).

Ah, well, it may be interesting to see what it does in "Competition" trim...

Last edited by TLyttle; 02-05-2011 at 12:29 AM.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
frownonfun

wow that interior is hideous. what's going on with the heat and A/C controls? and are those giant power window buttons right next to the shifter? and keith urban?