Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Exclamation Check Your Spare Tire Pressure

When was the last time you check that neglected spare tire under the floor in the trunk? I see mine on a regular basis but never think to check the pressure in it. So one day I had the floor out and happened to be checking and topping up all the rest of the tires in the family fleet and thought I should probably check that spare air.

It only had 10lbs in it. I think that was the 2nd time I've ever checked it in 11 years. So I blew it up to 60 as marked on the tire. Because it would really suck if you went through all the trouble of changing a tire on the side of the road only to have you spare flat too.

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Ha! I just did the same thing yesterday. I had never aired it up in the 2 1/2 years since I bought it. Was at 20psi. Pumped it up to 60.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Good tip

I got into the habit of checking it when I rotate my tires every oil change (15000km)

When I bought my Vibe it only had 20psi in the rear so I filled it up to 65 (always go a bit above since I don't check the pressure every month). The week later my wife drive over metal shards and got a flat...
Old 10-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good idea! Since the tire is upside down get an extension of the tire valve so you dont have to remove the tire for the check.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Good idea! Since the tire is upside down get an extension of the tire valve so you dont have to remove the tire for the check.
That's the reason I hadn't checked it before. Stupid and lazy I know. But really why did Toyota choose to mount it this way? Don't they know there are plenty of stupid and lazy people out there.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
In my Echo it's right side up. Makes it easy to check.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
it should be checked every time you service the vehicle. at least every time you rotate/swap tires. (winter/summer) you should have learned this when you got your license.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
That's the reason I hadn't checked it before. Stupid and lazy I know. But really why did Toyota choose to mount it this way? Don't they know there are plenty of stupid and lazy people out there.
Upside down gives you more usable space in that compartment to put things like jumper cables and/or a quart of oil. I use that space in most cars I own.

Check it every 6months or slightly over inflate and check once a year and you should be fine if you ever need it

Tags
spare tire