Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Need help with a headlight lens issue

2007 hatchback. I had to pull my headlight lens off to fix something. I didn't do the heat-in-oven thing, I just kept pulling on the lens and cutting the sealant with a utility knife until I could get the lens off.

I've never seen that gray sealant before and it's kind of balled up in spots. Can anyone tell me what that sealant is so I can get some to reseal the lens when I put it back on?

I'm not sure silicone will work because of the housing being polypropylene. You probably have to use a sealant that will stick to it.

Thanks in advance!
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
First you'll have to remove the existing stuff from the channels. Then replace with butyl rubber sealant like from this source
You could try to re-use the gray stuff, but you still would have to place the headlights in the oven to soften the sealant so you could press the lens to the housing.
Avoid silicone.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
First you'll have to remove the existing stuff from the channels. Then replace with butyl rubber sealant like from this source
You could try to re-use the gray stuff, but you still would have to place the headlights in the oven to soften the sealant so you could press the lens to the housing.
Avoid silicone.
Thank you so much! I really made a boo boo pulling that lens off. I didn't know any better. Going to have to improvise I think.

I can't use the oven in the house because I worry that heating the sealant could produce vapors that would be toxic to my pets. I don't want to turn a problem into a tragedy. I'm going to try re-heating what is left of the existing sealant with a heat gun (outside), and adding some DAP butyl caulk as needed. It ain't gonna be fun.

Well, heating the original adhesive with a heat gun seemed to work. Before pushing the lens back in I quickly squirted some DAP Butyl caulk in the spots where the adhesive was gone or was thin. The lens slipped back in surprisingly easily and the snaps popped right in. There were a couple areas around the seam where there was a little gap (the adhesive probably got too cool before I inspected the seam). I squeezed some DAP into a syringe (no needle), then pushed it into the gaps. It ain't pretty, but hopefully will be sealed.

Last edited by robkay; 11-29-2016 at 01:31 PM.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote