Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
ThomEdwardDudgeon
Chainsaw

Drives: 2012 Yaris Sedan
Moving non-telescoping steering column up safely

To gain easy access to the steering column, just unpop the plastic center panel below the column. It's held in place with piano hinges, opens downward like a bin door. Take out the 3 screws that hold the flimsy plastic cover (2 pieces) onto the column itself and move them aside. Now you have access. Let the column down with the handle, use a 12mm socket and a 6" extension, undo the nuts holding the clamp bracket in place. Move the column up and down and see the column stops where the washers and plastic guides "top out" against the dashboard form. Pull the washers and their plastic guides straight out, push the column up and reinstall the nuts-there's metal spacers coming off the bracket that serve as washers. You'll gain about 1/4", but we're talking angles, so being 6'2", it moved the column up more than enough for me, even with extra foam beneath the front of the seat and I was glad I didn't have to do any major mods that may compromise safety. If I haven't explained anything clearly enough, feel free to respond.
ThomEdwardDudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
The information is very useful. I also did not have enough flight steering column.
If you take a photo it would be very useful.