Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
vadr45
vadr45

Drives: 2009 Base 3-door
CF-Bombing The Exterior

I think I've now finished the outside of my 2009 hatch (except that I have to replace one of the fog-lights, which somehow got knocked out of its hole) and I'll start on mechanical stuff when I get tired of spending money on the 1950 Austin, Lord Herbert:

I decided to keep the carbon fiber hood and make it a theme, so first I put CF strips along the crease on the sides:

Then I put CF strips down the water channels on the roof and put in an electric sun-roof:

As some of you know, I already had debadged the back, removed the chromed plastic from the front logo and added a mouse logo to the rear; then I also put in the bumper guard:

Finally, although I'm not sure it's really visible in this photo, I covered the snow-shovel scrapes on the door handles with CF covers.

That should be enough for now! The DORMAUS has just had his 30K check-up (no issues except dirty brakes and filters and oil) and is running well.

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
2009 Black Base 3-Door Yaris
1950 Austin A70 Hampshire
vadr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadr45 View Post
...Then I put CF strips down the water channels on the roof and put in an electric sun-roof:

Woah, another member with a moonroof? Awesome!

Looks good, that CF is nice and subtle, just the way I like it!

(Love the Austin, too!)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
vadr45
vadr45

<<Woah, another member with a moonroof? Awesome!
Looks good, that CF is nice and subtle, just the way I like it!
(Love the Austin, too!)>>

Thank you, I love the Austin as well, but compared to the Yaris it drives like a pig. So the Austin I keep for sedate motoring and the Yaris is for fun.

That's not a "moonroof" BTW, it's a gen-yoo-wine push-button, two position sun-roof. I actually ordered the expensive, slide-back-under-the-roof kind, but the installer put the wrong model in and the company had to give me the package for half the cost because it was their mistake. I'd be mad, but I got a big, electric model for the cost of a pop-top moonroof.

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
jpmck03

Quote:
That's not a "moonroof" BTW, it's a gen-yoo-wine push-button, two position sun-roof. I actually ordered the expensive, slide-back-under-the-roof kind, but the installer put the wrong model in and the company had to give me the package for half the cost because it was their mistake. I'd be mad, but I got a big, electric model for the cost of a pop-top moonroof.
Eh, I knew what it was. It just seems like their interchangeable terms, but technically it's a moonroof... but of course that all depends on who you ask, and well, who really cares in the end? (Ha, there are probably just as many websites out there that list the opposite as true... ) It's a glass panel on your roof that you can open!

Always liked the pop out kind, particularly when you get it open just right and manage to channel a nice current of air directed right into the cabin...

How much did it set you back if I might ask?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
vadr45
vadr45

<<How much did it set you back if I might ask?>>

The sunroof listed for $1100; after weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, the owner gave it to me for $550. When I put a Moonroof (pop-up) in my Miata's hardtop four years ago, it cost me $450, so on the whole, I'd say I beat the system this time around.

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
jpmck03

Quote:
<<How much did it set you back if I might ask?>>

The sunroof listed for $1100; after weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, the owner gave it to me for $550. When I put a Moonroof (pop-up) in my Miata's hardtop four years ago, it cost me $450, so on the whole, I'd say I beat the system this time around.
Oh, that's not too bad. I'll put it on my "if I win the lotto list" though! Need a better paying job to spend that kinda cash.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
vadr45
vadr45

Unless your in Pburg or Pdelphia, you should get better prices in Pvania that I can in the DC-Metro area. I always thought that with a little help I could buy a $250 moonroof and install it myself, assuming (and it's a big assumption) that I had the balls to cut into my roof with a sawsall.

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
jpmck03

Quote:
Unless your in Pburg or Pdelphia, you should get better prices in Pvania that I can in the DC-Metro area. I always thought that with a little help I could buy a $250 moonroof and install it myself, assuming (and it's a big assumption) that I had the balls to cut into my roof with a sawsall.
Ha, I'm in the middle of nowhere, so I don't think that there would be anywhere nearby to get one installed, and I, like you, do not have the balls to cut a hole in my roof!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
your dealer will have someone on speed dial. Almost every car dealer has a roof person and a leather seats person to call because some people will absolutely not buy a car without those two features, and they are so easy to install.

I was always under the impression a moon roof was the fancy expensive electronic one, and the sun roof was the dirt cheap hand cranked fake t-tops one.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
op - car looks great

a little off topic but would a little rally vent be possible on the roof? i think it would be so crazy but cool to see that on a yarii haha

Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
vadr45
vadr45

[QUOTE=matthewai;643873]op - car looks great
a little off topic but would a little rally vent be possible on the roof? i think it would be so crazy but cool to see that on a yarii haha

Hey, Matthew, a rally-vent would be terrific in just about anything - imagine one in some large Cadillac, for instance!

I've actually considered putting one in each rear side window in the Yaris, but the surround is too deep, alas, and destroys the line.

BTW, isn't "Yarii" plural? Should you not say"[C]ool to see on Yarii..." meaning more than one, or "[C]ool to see on a Yaris..." meaning a single car.

vadr45
Alexandria, VA