Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
77W

Drives: Toyota Yaris and Corolla
Are rear red turn signals planned for Yaris as well ?

Hi

Toyota started to become mean by saving couple of cents by changing rear turn signals from Yellow to Red. They first did the change in Sienna and from 2010 models the change came to Corolla and Camry as well apart from Honda's Civic and Accord after Odyssey.

I am a strong opponent of red turn signals and consider them a hazard. I never have and will never buy a motor vehicle with red turn signals.

American manufacturers have caught up with Asian ones and introduced Yellow turn signals (for example, Dodge Caravan). But now Japanese have started to become mean like old Americans.

My question is are red turn signals targeted for Toyota Yaris, Prius, IQ and Honda's Fit and Fit Junior as well ? If so, it will be catastrophic. No wonder Mazda5 is beginning to take away Sienna and Odyssey fans. Soon Camry/Corolla as well as Accord/Civic fans will begin to flee as well.

My 2-cents

77W
77W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think from a cosmetic stand point red looks more cleaner. I honestly dont think of it as a safety concern. I never have had a issue with confusing the person infront of me signalling verses braking even though his turn signals wernt orange. I dont think realistically there has been a accident due to someone going hard on thier brakes acuse the person infront of them was making a left turn and thinking he was actually braking and that caused the person behind him to rear end him but i could be wrong.

But that is just my opinion everyone has thier right to thier own.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
I'll jump in and absolutely agree with you, I really cannot stand cars that don't have yellow/orange turn signals, from a safety and style standpoint! It's funny I also have a rule that I will never purchase a vehicle with red or shared brake light turn signals!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
i have orange turns signals on the rear of my RAV.... I don't like it, they are going all red
Old 12-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I have no problem with red turn signals as long as they don't share the same bulb as the break lights. Either way I redded out my tail lights along time ago. They look really crisp and clean compared to before.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I think that if the car is not going to be exported to Europe, then doing the red turn signal saves a few dollars. So long as the Yaris is a European export, it will have the amber turn signal.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
The Sienna has lights which appear red but are acutally amber. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjhWcgQFVE#t=03m04s

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Actually last night I saw a brand new BMW 2010, forget which model, but it had all LED lights. The front & side turn signals were yellow, but the back lights were red. Annoyed me to no end.

And I do find it not safe to have brake/turn lights the same colour. If you quickly glance its hard to distinguish what's going on, where as if I see a yellow flashing light I know immediately something is going on so pay attention. Just my opinion but it bugs me too.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
wow really wow...you really think rear red turn signals are unsafe.... seriously i don't think it changes anything 90% of the people don't even use turn signals. just pay attention to your driving and stop thinking expecting the car to do everything for you
Ya not many people do use turn signals but those people can be cited for not using them.

And what I mean by unsafe is, if the brake & turn light are one bulb, if it burns out you get neither. Even if the turn signal is red but a SEPERATE bulb, that is OK but still annoying, lol. Maybe I just have OCD or something.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
77W

Drives: Toyota Yaris and Corolla
Quote:
wow really wow...you really think rear red turn signals are unsafe.... seriously i don't think it changes anything 90% of the people don't even use turn signals. just pay attention to your driving and stop thinking expecting the car to do everything for you
Personally, my brain takes extra CPU cycles to process a blinking red turn signal from a vehicle in front of me. And when both break and turn signals are on, it drives me nuts. That's why I always find them offending and unsafe. I do not thinks savings total due to red signals are X Dollars/car - perhaps few cents per car due to economies of scale.

If red signals are not going to all models, it could be Toyota wants to phase out its legacy models over time and replace them with fuel efficient ones. Due to immigration, there is significant population in US/Canada that does not like red turn signals.
77W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Wow, I wouldn't consider this a factor for not buying a car; especially with the Yaris as it is so inexpensive and easy to swap out the tail lights anyway! My original tail lights are sitting in a box in my garage, I got the TYCs via this forum and they look much cooler!

I think 99.9% of the general populous will deal with the change without catastrophe, as the vast majority will most likely not even notice the difference.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
i wish people would get ticketed for other stuff than just speeding, would make the roads safer and teach people how to drive (failure to yield, changing lanes without signaling, changing lanes on a solid line, etc)
driving with high beams on to 'compensate' for not taking the time to replace burned out headlight bulbs.....

and honestly to the OP why not just find a nice clean set of aftermarket lights that have the amber part?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
and honestly to the OP why not just find a nice clean set of aftermarket lights that have the amber part?
Yes aftermarket could be swapped in, but it's that other people are driving these cars, and I'd perfer to not waste the extra CPU cycles (as OP put it) on deciphering a blink of I see out the corner of my eye that would require no extra thought if the blink were a specific color

But, as PK198105 said, we obviously have to pay attention anyways since nobody uses their signals
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
nlpnt

Drives: '08 HB MT 1F8
Yeah, I'm not a fan of red signals either.
The Yaris already had its' mid-cycle facelift in '09 when they went from amber under a clear lens to the saturated amber lens, I doubt they'll revise the rear lights again until they redo the whole car.
nlpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Im not a fan of red but it wouldnt sway me from a car??? I hate those retarded brake lights that flickker and stobe/flash to warn people that your braking....stooooppppid.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
LOL. most people dont even use the turn signals where im at( and that's annoying).
but if i see a light go off either red or yellow i see it as a single signal to watch that person because either way they will do something and that needs to be noted.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCode View Post
Yes aftermarket could be swapped in, but it's that other people are driving these cars, and I'd perfer to not waste the extra CPU cycles (as OP put it) on deciphering a blink of I see out the corner of my eye that would require no extra thought if the blink were a specific color

But, as PK198105 said, we obviously have to pay attention anyways since nobody uses their signals
why are you looking to the side while you are driving your car,try looking straight ahead when your driving please
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlonewolf View Post
why are you looking to the side while you are driving your car,try looking straight ahead when your driving please
Hey Skippy, he IS looking straight ahead, that's why its out of the CORNER of his eye. By the way, when driving you should look around you, and check your mirrors, because there's a whole world outside of your lane...
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote