Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Bad alternator - 2zr fe

I posted a while ago on another thread (I cannot find it) about what "normal" voltage is for the alternator charging output. I stated that I typically saw 12.7 or so and that this always seemed to be the normal for my engine. I also have a slight underdrive NST pulley on my engine.

A while ago my non oem battery died after 3 years (wouldn't hold a charge for more than 4 days) so I picked up a replacement. This replacement started to not hold a charger or crank slow after 4 weeks until it eventually wouldn't start the car. I had it tested and was told it was a bad battery and received a free replacement. Fwiw my smart charger also couldn't properly charge the battery. It kept showing low power and would never go over 60% charged.

Everything was fine until the same problem appeared about 3 weeks after the new battery was installed. This evening when I went to leave work the battery was too dead to start the car. I noticed for the past few days it was cranking slower. I picked up an alternator on the way home from the recyclers (its from a 2011 Matrix). I tested the charging voltage with no load and the old alternator was 12.4 and with load it was 11.6 volts. I installed the new used one and the charging voltage is now 13.9 volts and with load it was 13.6 volts.

This was different then how my Vibe's alternator died as that just suddenly lost power and half the dash lit up and the car was in limp mode. In this case the alternator wasn't charging adequately and over time the battery was loosing its charge until it wouldn't start the car. Not always the most typical way for an alternator to go. I'm pretty sure this was the problem as the charging voltage is much better now, but I won't know until I drive for another month or so. There was a slight whine coming from the old alternator but it was very quiet, I wouldn't have noticed except I checked for it.

As a side, it is possible to remove the alternator on a 2zr without removing the intake manifold or a/c bracket/lines. It's a huge pita but it is possible with some scrapped knuckles

I think I'll keep the old alternator and attempt to rebuild it so I have an extra. I don't think it's worth the $11 core I'd get back. Besides, the one that went bad was one I purchased from the same recycler when I did the swap 2 years ago. I don't trust this one will last for a long time
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
tmontague

Edit* ecu voltage now reading 14.22 give or take at idle so it seems I now have correct charging voltage

Last edited by tmontague; 10-24-2018 at 08:32 AM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I had issues with the OAD-style pulley on mine. Made some squeaking noises and then crapped out. Replaced with an aftermarket unit, similar failure in only a month or two. Rebuilt the old OEM one with a new pulley and haven't had issues since.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
tmontague

Dude, please tell me how the hell you service these things. I completely destroyed my broken alternator I was going to rebuild trying to figure out how to hell to take it a part.

Of course most alternators are all easy and very similar to take apart. Nope not this one. Even the damn voltage regulator is soldered and no easy to remove. I went to take the pulley off today with my cordless impact and no dice. There is only one rebuild kit available online and it looks different then the parts inside the alternator.

Not sure if these things are serviceable unless your name is Denso...

Any info or pics you can post would be greatly appreciated. I now have an expensive paper weight that I might as well dissect to learn about to rebuild a future one
Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
The alternator in mine got replaced at around 90,000 miles due to a bad voltage regulator. I actually took it apart in the hope of locating a voltage regulator so I'd have a spare but what replacement regulators i could find were so expensive it was pointless and the screws holding one of the diode bridges down stripped. I've seen other people recondition them but i don't know what the secret is.

Your voltage readings are consistent with what mine seems to put out.