Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Starting the research... turns out that "the big island" isn't at all what I thought it was. I guess Oahu is the island that I had in my head. Hawaii looks a lot like Maui in most ways, it's just bigger and has an active volcano.

We're on our way towards planning a "road trip" around the big island so that we can hit all the high points without having to spend all of our time driving back and forth to a single hotel. It's looking like staying in 3 places for a couple nights each should do the trick.

Cathy is astounded by the level of access to active lava flows (some hiking required, of course), and some cave that goes down into a lava tube also has her intrigued. Going down in to a "lava tube" anywhere near an active volcano seems like a pretty dumb thing to do in my opinion... but I guess it's not much dumber than just being on the island in the first place.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I thought I stated earlier that Oahu was the most touristy island out of the hawaiian islands? Next touristy would be maui and kauai. Big island is definately more country than the three islands I just previously stated. I had to work at volcano national park. I highly suggest you visiting that place while on the big island. It's in the town "volcano." hehe
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #21
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Yeah, one would assume that the "big island" would be Oahu, since it has the most people/shops/hotels - everything.
But the Big Island is literally the biggest of the 8 islands. lol. Go figure.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #22
Loren
What?

Sorry, Pete. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. I'm starting to "get" the Hawaiian islands now. :)

Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
PETERPOOP

:P

It's ok! You'll be an expert by the time you get here!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
r3b3l

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr liftback
I lived in Hawaii for 4 years in the Army and while I was there I traveled to all the islands. Maui is very beautiful but Personally I think Kauai is the most beautiful simply because theres more untouched(green) land. As for the big island(its like a desert in between volcanoes), there is the active volcano on the east side of the island which you can actually walk down the lava flows and watch as it enters the water, but be careful one change in wind and your dead from toxic gas. But at least you get to see where the lava rolled over the town that used to be there. I would recommend going to the west side of the island north of mauna kea and mauna loa resorts, My army unit built a religious (read educational, for political purposes) center there at the birth place of King Kamehameha back in 99. There is a huge religious site there where the last remaining descendant of the king still lives and keeps the place in good condition. (as of 10 years ago that is) Also there are black, green sand beaches as well as huge water falls just north of the site. Well worth seeing IMO. I envy you man Hawaii is gorgeous and I would love to live there again. you can take inter-island flights for very cheap, its worth it to go to the other islands for a day or two then fly back as each island has something unique and worth seeing. BANZAI PIPELINE FTW. On Oahu in the winter Waimea bay and ehukai beach (Banzai pipeline) get HUGE waves 30-60 feet, if your lucky there may be a surf comp going on. Haleiwa is a great little town on north shore Oahu to buy gifts and see some good ole hawaiin heratige as well as great inexpensive off the beaten path restaurants. Luau at night north shore- priceless. And dont forget to go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay north east of diamond head. Sea turtles as big as a man float right over you and you can even hang on to them and go for a ride, though you can do that on the north shore too certain times of the year. Again every Island is equally amazing. It will be a lifelong memory.

Hanauma Bay
http://www.besthawaiiactivities.com/...312img1792.jpg
Waimea Bay summer
http://www.hawaiipictures.com/pictur...web-lg-old.jpg
winter
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_...df4c68c6c7.jpg
Haleiwa
http://ksuweb.kennesaw.edu/~jhelms/Haleiwa%20Sign.jpg
http://haleiwatown.com/test/haleiwa_...iwa_heli_M.jpg
Ehukai Beach(pipeline)
http://beaches.uptake.com/blog/files..._Park_Oahu.jpg
The Mo'okini Heiau (Kamehameha birthplace)
http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/...okiniHeiau.jpg
mauna kea-mauna loa(bring a jacket its probably snowing)(Keck observatory is here too)
http://hawaiidrivetours.com/images/07Mauna-Kea.jpg

And despite what you may hear, the locals do not hate white people or non hawaiian's(howleys-check spelling peterpoop :)) they hate the military that are stationed in there because they always start shit with ppl when they go out and get drunk.

Last edited by r3b3l; 12-07-2009 at 01:44 PM.
r3b3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l View Post
On Oahu in the winter Waimea bay and ehukai beach (Banzai pipeline) get HUGE waves 30-60 feet, if your lucky there may be a surf comp going on. Hale-ewa is a great little town on north shore Oahu to buy gifts and see some good ole hawaiin heratige as well as great inexpensive off the beaten path restaurants. Luau at night north shore- priceless.
the biggest surf contest is going on this month; it's called the TRIPLE CROWN! Expect a lot of traffic through northshore shore during winter; however, loren won't be here during that time.

It's "Haleiwa," not "Hale-ewa." I live there/here.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
r3b3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post

It's "Haleiwa," not "Hale-ewa." I live there/here.
Yeah I was just thinking about that, was thinking Ewa beach, my bad.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #27
r3b3l

Peter I just thought of something funny, I bought a motorcycle while I lived there and I remember taking a drive up to Haleiwa one day about dusk, thinking "theres no helmet law im gonna leave it at Schofield", then when I got to the pineapple farms those big ass pineapple beetles started smacking me in the face as I was going pretty fast. A busted lip and a chipped tooth taught me to always wear a helmet regardless of the law.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #28
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Cathy is astounded by the level of access to active lava flows (some hiking required, of course), and some cave that goes down into a lava tube also has her intrigued.
Lava tubes are everywhere. Each flow makes more of them, and that's been going on for half a million years. However, many are just holes in the ground and not very interesting - particularly the ones that people can get inside and wreck. Some are used as open sewers or dump sites. Very few are interesting like large mainland cave systems. And, well, you aren't supposed to go into them anyway.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
Kimmy
Loves to travel

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
Send a message via Yahoo to Kimmy
>.< aww reading all this i miss Hawaii, born & raised in Kohala! Might go visit family during spring break! Maui is awsome i also like kona & waimea mmmmm kona coffee the best!! good luck on the trip, you'll love it!
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Peter I just thought of something funny, I bought a motorcycle while I lived there and I remember taking a drive up to Haleiwa one day about dusk, thinking "theres no helmet law im gonna leave it at Schofield", then when I got to the pineapple farms those big ass pineapple beetles started smacking me in the face as I was going pretty fast. A busted lip and a chipped tooth taught me to always wear a helmet regardless of the law.

lol. Yah, those things are brutal. I hate making the drive up through the pineapple fields because i always get a million bugs on the front of my car!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #31
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
And despite what you may hear, the locals do not hate white people or non hawaiian's(howleys-check spelling peterpoop :)) they hate the military that are stationed in there because they always start shit with ppl when they go out and get drunk.
true since we show everyone aloha when they visit hawaii! thats what makes us special!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #32
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
Very few are interesting like large mainland cave systems. And, well, you aren't supposed to go into them anyway.
Oh, don't worry, I have no intention of wandering into random holes in the ground. Cathy found a website about some (tourist trap) attraction where you can apparently walk over a mile through a lava tube. They made it sound interesting enough that she thinks it's a "must do".

Will be interesting to see how these caves differ from the water-cut caves found in the mountains of the Eastern US.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #33
PETERPOOP

Quote:

It's "haoles." Atleast that's how i've seen it spelt all the time. That's true about a dislike towards the military. I work construction on military bases all over Oahu, and I seem to dislike the military people. I'm not a mean person too...
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #34
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Oh, don't worry, I have no intention of wandering into random holes in the ground.
Well, around here sometimes you find yourself entering a hole in the ground unintentionally... I've disappeared up to my waist in a few hidden holes over the years. Lava tubes aren't the worst. It would be hell to die by falling into a tight smooth-walled tree-mold hole - starvation or hypothermia would not relieve you of your suffering as soon as you'd like. Many hunting dogs disappear that way.

Quote:
Cathy found a website about some (tourist trap) attraction where you can apparently walk over a mile through a lava tube.
Go for it. It's probably a lot nicer than the Thurston Lava Tube in the volcano park. They can be 20 miles or more, from the source of the flow to the coast, not counting collapsed sections. Google about lava tubes and caving in Hawai'i - will turn up lots of info and photos.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #35
Loren
What?

Caught some show on TV about the Hawaiian islands. Covered a lot of interesting history and remaining architectural artifacts. I found it interesting... it wasn't just the usual USS Arizona memorial (no disrespect to anyone, but I have no interest in seeing that) or plantation history (no interest in that, either), but more of the ancient tribal history. Would love to see some of that stuff while in Hawaii.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #36
Loren
What?

UPDATE:

We've booked our trip to the big island of Hawaii! Leaving May 12 for ten days. Have found lots and lots of interesting places to go and see, and a nice little B&B to hang out at. Bought a GPS and intend to do some geocaching while we're there, seems to be a good way to get to some out-of-the way places that you might otherwise never see. Really looking forward to it!

Mahalo for all the insight, guys!