Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #19
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
From what I understand, here in the States, the hatchback is still a "real" Yaris.

The iA has been re-badged as the Yaris sedan, similarly to how the Scion iM became the new Corolla hatchback (except at least the Scion was still Toyota and not a Mazda at heart).

correct
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #20
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Here's the Scion Ia / Yaris Ia owners forum . https://www.scioniaforum.com/ .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A quick Look at the forum reveal some transmissions have already failed around 18,000 miles.

I wonder if Toyota could be sued for selling a Mazda disguised as a Toyota?

Last edited by bronsin; 07-18-2018 at 04:02 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #22
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Since the demise of the Toyota built sedan, it has been well documented in the media how Toyota and Mazda formed a partnership to produce the iA based on the Mazda2. There is no shenanigans going on here. History is wrought with such partnerships. How many people buying Buick today know, or care that they are buying Opel? GM diehards for years buying Toyota when purchasing a Pontiac Vibe? Suing is just silly talk.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #23
bronsin

Doesn’t hurt to look into it. I’ve bought two new Toyotas in the past 15 years from the same dealer. I would’ve done my research so I would not have bought the iA, but I’d be breaking the salesman‘s balls no end about this! I’m kind of surprised some lawyer hasn’t thought to file a class action lawsuit...maybe they have.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Wee is right in that this is not new in the auto industry and that they're not hiding it; it's a partnership.

To Bronsin's point, it does feel like a bait and switch no matter how transparent they are about it. I'm not even saying Mazda is bad, but there is a level of ridiculousness in going to buy a Toyota and being sold what is in fact a Mazda.

I feel the same way about the FRS/BRZ, I felt that way about the Corolla/Metro and I'll feel that way about the new Supra/Z4. It just doesn't feel right to me.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #25
bronsin

Buyer Beware! I know my son in law thought he was getting a Toyota. Not a good way to do business! In the past five years he's bought a Tundra 4 wheel drive and a Toyota mini van from that dealer. Whats that $100,000? Id hate to be in that salesmans shoes when my son in law shows up...
Old 07-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #26
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
An old bronsin quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Gas is below $2 a gallon. (why make small cars?) The Honda Fit is rated only average by Consumer Reports for reliability. Yarii are being made in France/made from Mazdas.

Is this the end of the world as foretold in the Bible/the Incas/Rasputin?
You did know, but forgot.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #27
bronsin

That refers to the Yaris not the iA. When I heard my son-in-law bought the car he did alarm bells were going off, but I wasn’t fully up to speed on the situation.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #28
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I couldn't imagine making a major purchase, let alone even basic home/computer electronics, without first doing in-depth research of brand, model, trim, etc. It took me over two months just to select the individual hardware components (+ mATX case + 27" monitor) that I wanted on my last custom desktop computer build. I also spent a lot of time researching my 2015 Yaris before I bought it (not to mention tracking down a manual 5-spd white SE out-of-state (AZ dealers suck @ stocking the Yaris in any form) & then arranging long-distance purchase at the price I was willing to pay). I am definitely NOT an impulse or blind-purchase type of buyer. My basic nature tends to be to hyper-analyze everything.

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-18-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #29
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I couldn't imagine making a major purchase, let alone even basic home/computer electronics, without first doing in-depth research of brand, model, trim, etc. It took me over two months just to select the individual hardware components (+ mATX case + 27" monitor) that I wanted on my last custom desktop computer build. I also spent a lot of time researching my 2015 Yaris before I bought it (not to mention tracking down a manual 5-spd white SE out-of-state (AZ dealers suck @ stocking the Yaris in any form) & then arranging long-distance purchase at the price I was willing to pay). I am definitely NOT an impulse or blind-purchase type of buyer. My basic nature tends to be to hyper-analyze everything.
At this point in my life, I'm the exact same way.

Many people are not.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #30
bronsin

Very wise, you can’t be too careful!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #31
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I am definitely NOT an impulse or blind-purchase type of buyer. My basic nature tends to be to hyper-analyze everything.
That's my nature as well.

And I would never consider the "Yaris" iA.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We've had sales people make negative / sarcastic comments about how thorough I am when looking over a new / used vehicle . We also inspect the car exterior / interior at the dealer lot for any dents , etc. before driving off with the newly purchased car . It's recommended by C.R. and learned our lesson the hardway as younger car buyers .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #33
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
That's my nature as well.

And I would never consider the "Yaris" iA.
Me neither! But unfortunately my son in law is a very busy man who didn’t do his due diligence and trusted Toyota to sell a Toyota. That was a mistake! But what is done is done and now we have to figure out What to do about it.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #34
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Me neither! But unfortunately my son in law is a very busy man who didn’t do his due diligence and trusted Toyota to sell a Toyota. That was a mistake! But what is done is done and now we have to figure out What to do about it.
Sell it and buy the "good" one. LOL

THB, nothing wrong with the mazda2. It is a great car. I've had the previous generation for 7 years and never had any problems with it except for a rusted oil pan. Just repaint it after a couple years, prevent it from rust and it's a good reliable car.

Although, he could have bought a Corolla for the same price.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #35
bronsin

Thanks I certainly hope you are right.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #36
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
nothing wrong with mazdas. in fact, i had a 323 for many years that i loved! if they still made the mazda2 in the hatchback for the united states market i would choose that over the current yaris hatchback. i just don't like the exterior lines of the toyota iA. it would look much better(i think) in 3-door trim.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote