Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #55
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
yuuuups

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #56
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwasabi View Post

It's just kinda irritating when they overdo their ego.
If you perceive me as having an ego over my yaris, I can't help you buddy. lol. I'm sorry to hear you got dumped, you'll be ok.

Now I hope you have your car clean for the meet.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #57
haku

Drives: sentra
Send a message via AIM to haku
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleversiontc View Post
So when you hear people say "I got a vtec controller and I set vtec to 2,000 rpm so im mad fast now, u know they're a not bright.

Why? This leads into my explanation on how vtec works but, basically on a vtec motor there is a vtec cam lobe and non vtec primary & secondary cam lobes. Those non vtec lobes are optimized for low end power delivery. However, @ upper RPM, the small lobes cannot deliver enough air nor keep the valves open long enough to continue to let the motor make power.

Hence, the VTEC crossover...where the VTEC cam lobe takes over duties in opening and closing the valves from the secondary and primary lobes. Since the vtec cam lobe is much taller, it can now provide more air and duration the motor needs to keep making power @ higher RPM.

Now think about it. What does setting VTEC at 3,000 rpm do? It makes a cam lobe designed to work well at HIGH rpm to work at LOW rpm. Conversely, setting VTEC too high will cause the motor to start dying out, then JUMP foward when the VTEC lobes take over.

If u have or do get a vtec controller, try it one day.

Set vtec to 3,000 and see how much of a pig the car is down low. Then set vtec to say 7,500 rpm or something. See how the car accelerates, slows down, then springs foward again at vtec x-over. You may think that is the car making more power, but if you were to look at dyno graphs, you would see the torque curve fall off, then rise back up @ your specified vtec cross over point. The above is also a good way to determine a starting point for an optimal vtec x-over when you have done some internal mods and u would like to set vtec @ a certain point. Take a dyno pull with vtec set low, then another pull with vtec set really high.

Overlap the graphs and where the curves intersect where power falls off and where power comes up is where you should start to mess around with a crossover point. Now, I-VTEC is VTEC, with a twist. Toyota's VVTL-i is the same thing as i-VTEC. Basically, in addition to VTEC, the ECU reads and modifies both intake and exhaust cam timing to an optimal point at every point on the RPM band. This ensures the most efficient cam timing to achieve optimal hp and torque. Infinitely Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. This is why the new RSX-S motors, although only making 5 more hp than the old Type-R motors, are making around 12 more lb-ft of torque - because of i-vtec.
that's some mighty fine copypasta you got there.
haku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #58
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
yup
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #59
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
I am intrigued by the prospect of a VVTI controller combined with a throttle body and some bigger 1ZZ injectors. Has anyone tried this yet on a Yaris? Sounds like a pretty straight forward way to make power.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #60
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
i dont believe on a yaris yet but i know on the first gen xbs. but if no one going do em to a yaris i going pull mine outta my tc and go screw aroun with em on the yaris
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote