Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
Unhappy No power to wheels under ~10km/h

Out looking at a new car for my gf yesterday and my car g̶o̶t̶ ̶j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶ experienced a total loss of power to the wheels, out of nowhere it just gave out. the VVT was being a little jumpy when cruising for the past few weeks but this was a sudden thing. car actually gave out right before going up a hill (where road was still flat) and rolled partway up and i had to stop off to the side. rolled the car back down the hill and as soon as the car hit ~10km/h i forced the automatic transmission down into low and it caught and i was able to take off and go into second and third, but as soon as i had to slow down to below 10 it stalled out and had no power again. Worth mentioning no CEL came on and I do have a bluetooth OBD reader so I can check anything if need be.

Car is currently sitting at my friends house and I have no idea what to do. I will be renting a car trailer tomorrow and bringing the car home to try and fix. Will be changing the transmission fluid right away and doing the oil while i am there since it is about due anyways. Really hoping this is just some strange sensor issue and I can replace a sensor rather than having to replace a transmission.

Also bought an '88 Camaro yesterday after this fiasco so the yaris will be our main car and my gf's daily driver and I will have the camaro. (learning to drive stick on an old car is a pain)

Thanks in advance for any help / insight you guys are able to provide
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mb13k1ll View Post
Out looking at a new car for my gf yesterday and my car g̶o̶t̶ ̶j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶ experienced a total loss of power to the wheels, out of nowhere it just gave out. the VVT was being a little jumpy when cruising for the past few weeks but this was a sudden thing. car actually gave out right before going up a hill (where road was still flat) and rolled partway up and i had to stop off to the side. rolled the car back down the hill and as soon as the car hit ~10km/h i forced the automatic transmission down into low and it caught and i was able to take off and go into second and third, but as soon as i had to slow down to below 10 it stalled out and had no power again. Worth mentioning no CEL came on and I do have a bluetooth OBD reader so I can check anything if need be.

Car is currently sitting at my friends house and I have no idea what to do. I will be renting a car trailer tomorrow and bringing the car home to try and fix. Will be changing the transmission fluid right away and doing the oil while i am there since it is about due anyways. Really hoping this is just some strange sensor issue and I can replace a sensor rather than having to replace a transmission.

Also bought an '88 Camaro yesterday after this fiasco so the yaris will be our main car and my gf's daily driver and I will have the camaro. (learning to drive stick on an old car is a pain)

Thanks in advance for any help / insight you guys are able to provide
Pretty much sounds like your transmission is toast. You won't be able to replace all the oil in it, 50% is in the torque converter and the only way is with a pump made to flush transmission fluids. Automatic transmissions are best left to be inspected by a qualified mechanic.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
No expert here, but just some of my thoughts.

I agree with transmission being toasted being the most probable cause.

I would try the following...
Replacing the transmission filter (dropping the pan)
Fill it back up with ATF (I used Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage and have been running it for over 100k miles, no problems)
I did a "fluid flush" using the following method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY I pump it through the ATF cooler within the radiator to flush out any gunk that might have built up in there.

I did the above things as a preventive maintenace when I bought my used Yaris, maybe it will help bring back some life to your transmission.

Best of luck.
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
Thanks guys, I will give it a go this weekend and cross my fingers. cant let my yaris die.
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, sensor, transmission