Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Mirror turn signals 3rd gen wiring ?

I am going to install turn signal repeaters in my mirrors on my 2014 SE. I have researched this and think I am ALMOST ready. I finally have all the parts I need but I do have several questions. So far my biggest problem was trying to find electrical connectors for the turn signals. After months of searching in vain I broke down and ordered a generic Toyota wiring kit from eBay. The wiring harness is a China special and I'm not too impressed but at least the connector fits. It is 24 AWG which seems fairly small to me. Also there is a 3A blade type fuse spliced in line. Unfortunately the way it is located would place the fuse behind the door card and I'm not too keen on having to disassemble my door if it should need replacing. I'm thinking I'm going to forget about the harness and just wire it up with 18 AWG wire.

Anyway some questions:

(Please remember this is a 3rd gen US spec SE model made in Japan)

1. Use the harness or go with 18 gauge wire? I think I pretty much made up my mind but feel free to weigh in.

2. Is a fuse even necessary? Am I correct in assuming that whatever wire I tap for the signal is already fused?

3. Is there a wire in the kick panels that I can tap for the signal or do I have to go to the body ECU? (it would be much easier if there is)

4. If I have to tap at body ECU what wires specifically should I use? Is there a reason to prefer front signal over rear or vice versa? Or does it not matter?

Any pictures, wiring diagrams, pin numbers, descriptions of wire color, gauge, etc. would be MUCH appreciated. My biggest fear is tapping the wrong wires, shorting something out and creating a BIG problem.

5. If I have to tap at body ECU how do I get there? I can barely see what I think it is under my dash but I certainly can't reach it. There is a knee airbag that if removed might give me some maneuvering room but I'm not sure how to remove it. Or do I have to remove the whole dash? (please say no.)

Thanks in advance.

PS: CTScott I would be most appreciative if you could weigh in on this. (No offense to anyone else but the Master is the Master)
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The third gen is interesting - The Instrument cluster (rather than the body ECU) directly drives the turn signals. There is no relay involved, so you have to be careful about overloading it, as you will burn out the driver within the cluster. That being said, the LED signal mirrors should by no means overload it.

1. The 24 AWG wires are more than fine for what the LED mirrors draw.

2. The turn signals are fused by the 15A HAZ fuse, so I would install inline fuses with the LEDs. I would do so more to protect the cluster than anything else. You could use 2A fuses. If you want to keep it simple, buy standard blade fuses and 1/4" female spade connectors and simply snip the positive wire to the LED and crimp a spade on either side of the cut and shove the female spades onto the fuses. Makes for a very simple in-line fuse setup.

3. The wires do not go through the kick panels. You would have to tap 3C-28 (green - left) and 3C-38 (pink - right) in the under-dash junction block area.

4. See 3

5. You can get at them under the left side of the dash.

This is the body ECU, under the left side of the dash. The connector on the top right is D143. The connector on the top left is 3D and the one of the bottom right is 3C. Connectors 3A and 3B are on the back side of that white plastic box.

Connector 3C:
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps71220269.jpg
Old 07-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Thank you Scott. Just to be clear these are not LED signals. They are standard bulbs like found on the Prius C.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Thank you Scott. Just to be clear these are not LED signals. They are standard bulbs like found on the Prius C.
The Prius C side mirrors with the turn signals are LED.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The Prius C side mirrors with the turn signals are LED.
OK. My bad. The looked like incandescent to me.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Quote:
I am going to install turn signal repeaters in my mirrors on my 2014 SE. I have researched this and think I am ALMOST ready. I finally have all the parts I need but I do have several questions. So far my biggest problem was trying to find electrical connectors for the turn signals. After months of searching in vain I broke down and ordered a generic Toyota wiring kit from eBay. The wiring harness is a China special and I'm not too impressed but at least the connector fits. It is 24 AWG which seems fairly small to me. Also there is a 3A blade type fuse spliced in line. Unfortunately the way it is located would place the fuse behind the door card and I'm not too keen on having to disassemble my door if it should need replacing. I'm thinking I'm going to forget about the harness and just wire it up with 18 AWG wire.

Anyway some questions:

(Please remember this is a 3rd gen US spec SE model made in Japan)

1. Use the harness or go with 18 gauge wire? I think I pretty much made up my mind but feel free to weigh in.

2. Is a fuse even necessary? Am I correct in assuming that whatever wire I tap for the signal is already fused?

3. Is there a wire in the kick panels that I can tap for the signal or do I have to go to the body ECU? (it would be much easier if there is)

4. If I have to tap at body ECU what wires specifically should I use? Is there a reason to prefer front signal over rear or vice versa? Or does it not matter?

Any pictures, wiring diagrams, pin numbers, descriptions of wire color, gauge, etc. would be MUCH appreciated. My biggest fear is tapping the wrong wires, shorting something out and creating a BIG problem.

5. If I have to tap at body ECU how do I get there? I can barely see what I think it is under my dash but I certainly can't reach it. There is a knee airbag that if removed might give me some maneuvering room but I'm not sure how to remove it. Or do I have to remove the whole dash? (please say no.)

Thanks in advance.

PS: CTScott I would be most appreciative if you could weigh in on this. (No offense to anyone else but the Master is the Master)
do you have a link of the kit you bought ?

thanks
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
do you have a link of the kit you bought ?

thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIT-TOYOTA-C...item1c505a167c

It's just the signals and the wiring. I bought the mirror covers from:

http://www.jp-carparts.com/

ucsmfu I remember that you bought knock-off covers from eBay that didn't fit. That's why I bought from jp-carparts. Genuine Toyota OEM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

ucsmfu I remember that you bought knock-off covers from eBay that didn't fit. That's why I bought from jp-carparts. Genuine Toyota OEM.
Those are crappy incandescent bulb ones. Fortunately they are only 5W each, so they should still be OK to drive off the cluster.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #9
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Those are crappy incandescent bulb ones. Fortunately they are only 5W each, so they should still be OK to drive off the cluster.
I also have genuine Toyota bulbs, bought from dealer, that I was planning to use. But honestly they look exactly the same as the China specials. No disrespect but are you sure they are LED? (Not that it matters. I am going to use them anyway.)
Old 07-22-2015, 01:50 AM   #10
ucsmfu

Quote:

awesome, let me know how it goes, I'd be interested as well if all goes well :)

Cheers !
Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 AM   #11
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Quote:
I also have genuine Toyota bulbs, bought from dealer, that I was planning to use. But honestly they look exactly the same as the China specials. No disrespect but are you sure they are LED? (Not that it matters. I am going to use them anyway.)
As CTScott stated in post #8, those are not LED from the ebay link you posted.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
As CTScott stated in post #8, those are not LED from the ebay link you posted.
I'm talking about the Toyota OEM ones.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #13
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
after a quick review it does look like toyota cheaped out and used one terrible bulb as a side mirror marker, and LED was a dealer option. same parts used as the prius C/Aqua.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
ucsmfu

Quote:

what was the parts no cross ref: ?

thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
what was the parts no cross ref: ?

thanks
For the mirror covers?

87915-52140-XX Right side

87945-52140-XX Left side

The XX is for the color code
Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
ucsmfu

Quote:
For the mirror covers?

87915-52140-XX Right side

87945-52140-XX Left side

The XX is for the color code
thanks NYCa-SE, so confirmed the side mirror covers will fit the 2012-2015 yaris ?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #17
NYC-SE

I have not actually installed the covers yet so I can not at this time confirm that they fit.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #18
ucsmfu

Quote:
I have not actually installed the covers yet so I can not at this time confirm that they fit.
how much did both covers run u shipped ?

does it come pre-painted ?

thanks