Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I used to hate on Ford but I have to admit the fiesta looks decent. Also, I've *heard* it's relatively reliable. It was designed by European Engineers from what I recall so it can't be THAT bad. It's no Ford Taurus (lol). Also, you're going to get slightly biased remarks asking here. While we're not lying about the car, of course whatever we say will come out sounding brilliant and gushing about the Yaris.

Also, if you don't mind a drive, there are TONS of Yarises for sale here in Vancouver. (That's Vancouver B.C)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack7 View Post
One just popped up today right around here, so I'm going to go check it out. Looks like a pretty good deal, but I hate the color. I really wanted black, but it's a good price for around here.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2287840305.html
Low miles, new tires, power package. Good luck.

BTW, I just bought my 2007 LB 44K in Hermiston for that price. AT, cold weather package and what they listed as NW sealant(??).
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Rented a new, very well equipped Ford Fiesta for a week. IMHO... a POS!

But I really did like the Mazda 2 I drove last month. As a Toyota fan, I'd nevertheless seriously consider the Mazda 2 rather than a new (and horribly ugly) 2012 Vitz/Yaris.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...11-mazda-2.htm
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I think the resale value of the Toyota will be substantially higher 5 years down the road than the Ford product.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
daddyo

Drives: yaris 3 door
Couldn't help myself

I'm on my second and third yaris; an 07, 08 and 09 and there are some amazing things about them that they all share such as

1. You get 35mpg even if you abuse it and I mean punch it on entrance ramps etc.

2. 0-60 is way, way faster than whatever they say it is. I swear I can get to 60 in 6 seconds if I press the accelerator just the right way.

3. Mods/total cost. I've added 4 speakers, an in dash dvd and wheels for around a grand and it still costed (total) less than 18 thousand. The hatch that I did this to (09) came with an automatic trans and the power package. These Mexican Fords can't touch that.

4. Quality. Total mileage for the three of them is at 130k and none of them have/had a single thing wrong with them and don't appear to.

Don't mean to "sway" you
daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
yaristotle

Drives: Yaris Blue HB 5 speed
According to Consumer Reports, the Yaris is THE most reliable car sold in the United States. That alone should be enough info to decide....70,000 miles here and NO problem whatsoever.
yaristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
1) No problem... with timely downshifting
2) I'm 5'-8" but many tall folk here claim total comfort.
3) I find myself wishing others used the accelleration lane for it's purpose. When clear you'll easily be overtaking traffic. It's easy to blend in.
4) The Fiesta's I remember were junk. However today's vintage, ???. Honestly I haven't noticed many out and about.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #26
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Ugh........my brain is in gridlock. I'm pretty sure I want either a Manual Trans Sedan Yaris or a Ford Fiesta, but I'm not sure which one. Here's a few questions on the Yaris:

1. How is it on fairly steep hills. I often go on weekend road trips up to the mountains, so that's important.

2. Is the sedan comfy enuf for somebody 6' 1'' with long legs?

3. It sounds like a great city car, but what about the highways? Will I get run over when I try to merge onto a busy highway from an entrance ramp?

4. Do you think a Ford Fiesta would be reliable? It sounds like a great, fun car, but I just don't know what to think of their reliability. Toyota's got the great rep, but Ford is all over the board........makes me a little nervous.
Owned an automatic Yaris for 2 years, test drove the Fiesta recently, and liked it, but not enough to give you any solid info.

As for the Yaris:

1) It sucks on hills. Absolutely sucks. A lot of reviewers complain about the acceleration, but on flat surfaces I found it good. Up hill though I hate it. Be prepared to floor it.

2) I fit comfortably in the Yaris, but I've tought plenty of tall people who found it uncomfortable. The steering wheel in particular doesn't move all too much.

3) I found the yaris to be very quick and capable on the highway, with two exceptions: Noise. It's frigging LOUD. Wind. The wind will blow this car around a decent amount.
But, like I said, it accelerates quickly on flat surfaces, so as long as you're not shy on the freeway, you'll keep up.

4) I researched the Fiesta a tonne recently, and it is getting all great reviews. The Sync system will help resale value on the Ford. Another poster mentioned that they would not buy a first year car again, and it's a good point, although the Fiesta is largely the same car that's been sold in Europe for the past few years.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
MacAttack7

Drives: None
Thanks for all the info. I didn't get the Craig's List car today; I actually plopped down $200 to secure it & signed something, but then my girlfriend asked for the carfax & it had a theft alert on it. (recovered & sold at auction, but still that bugged me). I would imagine if some kid stole the car he raced the hell out of it. I got my $200 back & he tore up the paperwork. It was probably ok, but I don't have much experience used car shopping, so I wasn't sure what to think about the "theft" alert. We tried calling the DMV to see exactly what the "theft" entailed, but they aren't open until Monday.

I then test drove a brand new Yaris & a Fiesta.

Looks: Fiesta definitely wins. Cooler/Sharper-looking vehicle inside & out (the sedan model).

Power: Fiesta definitely wins going uphill. I was in 4th going uphill & when I asked it to accelerate it still had some power to do so. The Yaris didn't seem to have much to give on hills.

Driving: I think the Yaris was a little more fun to drive, clutch was smoother & the engine just seemed a little more refined. It was peppier on the flat stuff.

Comfort: Didn't love either one. I'm 6' 1''. I think the Yaris was a bit more comfortable for me.

Psychological: Yaris wins. Due to all the brainwashing over the years :) I just feel like it'll run forever. Don't get the same feeling in the Ford, but that's probably just silly. A tiny car with a manual transmission isn't all that complicated, so it'd probably be just fine.

So anyway as of now I'm still undecided. So much for that. :)
MacAttack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #28
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
macattack, don't know if you've seen this or not, but this dude has 427,000 miles on his 07 5 speed yaris sedan with no major problems. and as you can see in the video he has dogged it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTlNLz9Iqc
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
carnageehw

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I didn't get the Craig's List car today; I actually plopped down $200 to secure it & signed something, but then my girlfriend asked for the carfax & it had a theft alert on it. (recovered & sold at auction, but still that bugged me). I would imagine if some kid stole the car he raced the hell out of it. I got my $200 back & he tore up the paperwork. It was probably ok, but I don't have much experience used car shopping, so I wasn't sure what to think about the "theft" alert. We tried calling the DMV to see exactly what the "theft" entailed, but they aren't open until Monday.

I then test drove a brand new Yaris & a Fiesta.

Looks: Fiesta definitely wins. Cooler/Sharper-looking vehicle inside & out (the sedan model).

Power: Fiesta definitely wins going uphill. I was in 4th going uphill & when I asked it to accelerate it still had some power to do so. The Yaris didn't seem to have much to give on hills.

Driving: I think the Yaris was a little more fun to drive, clutch was smoother & the engine just seemed a little more refined. It was peppier on the flat stuff.

Comfort: Didn't love either one. I'm 6' 1''. I think the Yaris was a bit more comfortable for me.

Psychological: Yaris wins. Due to all the brainwashing over the years :) I just feel like it'll run forever. Don't get the same feeling in the Ford, but that's probably just silly. A tiny car with a manual transmission isn't all that complicated, so it'd probably be just fine.

So anyway as of now I'm still undecided. So much for that. :)
Good to hear you got to test drive them both.

I must ask though, did the Fiesta have the Ford Sync?

I just got a Ford Fusion Hybrid after trading in my Yaris, and the Sync system is wonderful. Works like a dream, especially if you have a bluetooth phone and/or ipod.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #30
MacAttack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
Good to hear you got to test drive them both.

I must ask though, did the Fiesta have the Ford Sync?

I just got a Ford Fusion Hybrid after trading in my Yaris, and the Sync system is wonderful. Works like a dream, especially if you have a bluetooth phone and/or ipod.
Hah.......if you knew me you wouldn't ask about sync. I don't even own a microwave or a cell phone. I'm like the non-violent version of the unibomber. :)

I just test drove a 2007 Toyota Corolla S. It is now my favorite vehicle, but the dealer was asking a bit much for it, so I'll have to think about it. It gave me just a little more comfort and a little more power & the "S" version is a slick looking car.
http://www.beavertontoyota.com/ucinv/BT41255.htm
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #31
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Why not ask the same question here?

http://www.fordfiestaforum.com/
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:24 AM   #32
MacAttack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Why not ask the same question here?

http://www.fordfiestaforum.com/
This board seemed a lot more active and I was kind of leaning toward the Yaris, so maybe I subliminally wanted to be talked into it. The Yaris is still on my list. I can't decide. I need more beer I think.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Test drives?
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #34
MacAttack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Test drives?
I've test driven Yaris, Fiesta, Corolla. So far Corolla was the most fun & most comfortable to drive, but at this point I'd probably just choose whichever one popped up with a great deal, because I like them all.

I have a new problem now though; I forgot all about the Mazda 2. I just started looking at it online tonight & I dig it. I just don't know if I'd fit in it, so I'm going to test drive one tomorrow after work. Online though it's my favorite so far. It's unique around here, and I think mazda has good quality & a dealer here has them on sale for $13,499 right now.

Comes with air cond, pwr windows/locks, remote keyless entry, 6-way manual driver's seat, cd player, traction control, zoom-zoom. I hope I fit comfortably because I really like it the best so far just based on looks/specs/price (without having test driven it I can't say for sure yet though)

Last edited by MacAttack7; 03-27-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #35
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
I've test driven Yaris, Fiesta, Corolla. So far Corolla was the most fun & most comfortable to drive, but at this point I'd probably just choose whichever one popped up with a great deal, because I like them all.

I have a new problem now though; I forgot all about the Mazda 2. I just started looking at it online tonight & I dig it. I just don't know if I'd fit in it, so I'm going to test drive one tomorrow after work. Online though it's my favorite so far. It's unique around here, and I think mazda has good quality & a dealer here has them on sale for $13,499 right now.

Comes with air cond, pwr windows/locks, remote keyless entry, 6-way manual driver's seat, cd player, traction control, zoom-zoom. I hope I fit comfortably because I really like it the best so far just based on looks/specs/price (without having test driven it I can't say for sure yet though)
Post #21
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #36
carnageehw

I'm also curious if you've tried the Honda Fit. When I was looking around it got really good reviews...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...le-Small-Cars/

..but I never got around to trying it out.