Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Northwest
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Snow in Portland

Wow -- snow in Portland.

The roads around us are terrible. Since I'm lowered, I can't use chains, and I don't have studded tires, either (although I'm thinking about picking up a set of used 14" studded tires). I shoveled my driveway (with a garden shovel, rake, and broom, since I don't own a snow shovel since moving from Wisconsin) and thought I'd take a spin around the block. I basically got stuck at the base of my driveway since the entire road is snow-covered ice. Some dude gave me a push, and I decided not to take a spin around the block, and rather pulled back into the carport.

When it comes time to replace Mercedes' Civic (Mercedes is my wife), I think we might get something awd or 4wd, or at least something we can chain up.

Be safe out there Portlanders!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
lol, awd + all seasons still equals no traction

just get some better winter tires...

how often is it snowy/icy in portland?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine

It's only bad a few times a year. I was just browsing craigslist for studded snow tires. However, there isn't a whole lot available that'll fit a Yaris. I've got my stock wheels in storage (in the crawlspace), and I could always put studded tires on those steel wheels. We'll see. At this point, I'm kind of marooned here at home; can't leave--no traction.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yeah, im pissed. i had been saving up a few hundred for a new stereo in my car cause my old pioneer deck is starting to go out...i have some 15" snow tires w/ studs from my last car, but no 15" rims.

i called a local tire shop and they have some, the sucky part is it will be 250 bux to get the wheels and have the other snow tires mounted. there goes my new stereo.

i suppose i should be gratefull i at least had the snow tires hanging around. at any rate, it still blows. I have to do something though, 17" low profile Kuhmo's aren't the most effective in this weather. its like ice skating in teflon coated wool socks.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine

Are you in Portland?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Spades
The Hated One

bout 45 minutes south of it. we only got about 2 inches of snow, the problem is the tempature and moisture. it turned to slush at about 2pm yesterday, then new snow fell on top and it all froze by 6pm or so.

the sun melted some of the ice combined with traffic on the main roads, but everywhere else is slick as heck. its only supposed to get to 25 degrees here today.

the shop i work at closed early cause we have no bussiness really...just as well, i had crap i needed to get done today.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine

Yeah; the roads here are a sheet of ice (at least the side streets; I haven't ventured out onto the main roads yet). I keep checkin' for studded tires on craigslist, and man there's a lot out there, but nothing that will fit the Yaris yet.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 AM   #8
Spades
The Hated One

good luck getting some at this point, alot of people are snagging up traction devices like they were gold. I took my car in early and there were 3 hours worth of people ahead of me and their phone was ringing off the hook.

either way i am set up...trying to stay out of the way of jackasses with 4wd...the ones that think because their SUV accellerates well in snow that it will stop equally well on ice...i went to the grocery store and some redneck in a mid 90s f250 with mud tires on it started to loose controll in the parking lot and came about a food from clipping my parked car.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine

Well, I ended up purchasing a set of used studded tires from craigslist last night. They, however, went on our Civic. I took it out for a test drive this morning, and was very impressed at how my $160 dollar investment for four studded tires, four steel wheels, and hubcaps worked!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I've been doing really well getting around on everything nature thew at us. I just have the stock goodyears sipped and putting the car in L (auto) I was doing better than a jeep on a really bad hill. Delivered pizza all day sunday and never got stuck
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Spikes-Spiders

Bailout mentioned Spikes-Spiders last year and I bought a set, as I go nearly every weekend to Truckee, CA, which can have some wicked winters. Easy on and off as well as effective traction. They are pricey but an investment in safety is something to consider (i.e. not hunkered down on the side of a busy highway putting chains on).

My sedan is lowered but these do fit, although be careful with the install or they can rub against the wheel well or front bumper. They have a website or can be ordered/installed by Les Schwab delerships.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine

The other ones that my buddy just showed me was SCC's Super Z6 low-clearance chains.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_SZ6.html

So, now we have one vehicle with studs. If I needed to get somewhere and my wife needed to go to, I might take her rear studded tires and put them on my fronts, so at least we'd have two cars with front studs. I'm still running my Falkens, though. I have my stock Bridgestones in the crawlspace, too. Not sure how much better they'd be than my Falken 912s, though.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

be careful running just a pair of winters....its actually really dangerous

think about turning a corner when the rears have NO traction....good times.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
Spades
The Hated One

yeah, i took my wifes car with just front studs on a trip from dundee to beaverton last time we had snow and ice. between the idiots and stoplights, it was a "fun" ride...aveo w/ auto trans, no abs, no traction control, and poor rear tires...not to mention i had only driven the car a couple times.

that lovely sliding sensation from the ass end at every stop and corner...it was like a pregnant hippo on ice.

yeah, stick with 4 studs...you will be happy later.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #15
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
god I hate NW snow.......snow 2-4 inches......melt......freeze.....then it stays cold for days and we get to drive on sheets of ice with people who should not be driving......it is gonna snow again tonight........I am not even gonna get up for work........I will call in about 8am and tell them I am still in my car going no where fast......LOL.

My boss is cool though......his rule is if it looks bad enough out that you may wreck your car......call in and stay home safe and drink cocoa and play with your kids.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #16
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post

yeah, stick with 4 studs...you will be happy later.
Yeah; I'll probably just stick with one snow-worthy car instead of two half-snow-worthy vehicles.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #17
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
aveo w/ auto trans, no abs, no traction control
sounds familiar

that hold button kicks butt on snow/ice though...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #18
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
I'm heading to Oregon for a week next month, and hearing about all those accidents in Portland because of the snow (although I bet it had more to do with people not knowing how to drive properly) kinda scared me.

Anyway, I'll be around Newport and then in Portland, and I'm betting it is less snowy near the coastline. I'm a very cautious driver even in dry California, but if any of you from up in that area have any words of advice for snow driving I'd greatly appreciate it.