Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Effects of too much trans fluid in the case? (auto trans)

The thought kind of popped into my head and I was starting to think about it, so thought that I would make a post to see what others opinions are.

So yeah, what are some of the ill effcts of having too much trans fluid in the trans for an auto? What are some identifiable symptoms of there being too much? Etc..
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Some fluid may be forced out of the seals.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Creates a mess and creates foam on the dipstick........ But it's not as bad as having to much engine oil.....

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
The thought kind of popped into my head and I was starting to think about it, so thought that I would make a post to see what others opinions are.

So yeah, what are some of the ill effcts of having too much trans fluid in the trans for an auto? What are some identifiable symptoms of there being too much? Etc..
Fluid foams

Foam reduces the volume of fluid through the transmission. Foam also reduces the heating capacity of the fluid and distorts the operation of the hydraulic system that governs the shift points and reduces pressure on the clutch packs.

Lack of pressure on clutch packs and reduction in heat carrying capacity of foam causes local overheating and accelerated wear.

This causes breakdown of fluid, increased wear and deposition of clutch pack material onto the pan at the bottom of the transmission. Clutch pack material is a sign of tranny wear. In older trannies its normal, in younger ones it's a sign of concern.

Ultimately you vastly accelerate transmission wear, reduce its reliability and cause it to fail.

You pay for a new Tranny.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think genew pretty much covered it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
So how long would it take then for the overfill to really do damage to the trans. And you were referring to an automatic yes?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote