Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #469
06YarisRS

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Old-school is easier, sure, less variables to tune. But that also means less chances to improve power at both low and high-ends...

The 6-speed and LSD are more of a long-term wish. I'd really want the 6th gear for cruising at lower RPM. Due to the very tight packaging in the engine bay, I may not be able to fit the slightly larger transmission.

E85 behaves like very high-octane race fuel, in a nutshell. Increased detonation resistance is the main advantage, you can dial up the boost and ignition quite a lot.

I also personally like that it is locally-produced, so there is less pollution related to transporting crude oil, and it also burns cleaner than dino soup.

But it has some drawbacks:
1) 30% lower energy by volume. So you basically need to flow 30% more fuel for the same power output. Injectors and fuel pumps need to be sized accordingly (I'm looking at 1000cc injectors to have a bit of headroom), and a tank will not take you as far as regular gasoline.
2) Ethanol is hygroscopic (it slowly absorbs moisture). So, if you don't drive very often, youu may need to get your tank emptied and refilled. (Also a nasty side effect, the moisture eventually ends up in your oil, so more frequent changes are recommended)
3) Cost. In some countries, E85 is WAY cheaper than gasoline. Over here, it's only about 30% less than premium, so at the end of the day, your cost/mile is about the same

Anyway as you might tell, I am quite a proponent of the stuff

A nice little primer for the stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWcgiCm4NY
Thanks! I love Mighty Car Mods. I did a bit of reading since my last post. I can definitely see why you'd be attracted to E85.

So, right now I'm running 93 octane and I'm getting intake temps around 60 - 80F and running about 14.5 AFR up to 3 - 4 pounds boost (ECU in closed loop). I only get AFR enrichment if I go pretty close to WOT. This is a drawback of the FIC. Do you think I'm ok at those temps? I do worry a bit due to the relatively high static compression of the engine, 10:1, I think. I know there are many variables and it would be difficult to really know for sure.

Turbokits.com apparently had mixed results with the 02 spoofing, tricking the computer into targeting a richer AFR during closed loop operations. I haven't started experimenting with this but may in the near future. I really should have listened to the first tuner who I spoke with and who definitely recommended standalone management.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #470
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo Send a message via Skype™ to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks! I love Mighty Car Mods. I did a bit of reading since my last post. I can definitely see why you'd be attracted to E85.

So, right now I'm running 93 octane and I'm getting intake temps around 60 - 80F and running about 14.5 AFR up to 3 - 4 pounds boost (ECU in closed loop). I only get AFR enrichment if I go pretty close to WOT. This is a drawback of the FIC. Do you think I'm ok at those temps? I do worry a bit due to the relatively high static compression of the engine, 10:1, I think. I know there are many variables and it would be difficult to really know for sure.

Turbokits.com apparently had mixed results with the 02 spoofing, tricking the computer into targeting a richer AFR during closed loop operations. I haven't started experimenting with this but may in the near future. I really should have listened to the first tuner who I spoke with and who definitely recommended standalone management.
Oof, I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to answer you there... From what I gather, with premium fuel and not such a huge amount of boost, you should be OK... You have the advantage of not living in the hot, humid tropics too :D Does your engine have a knock sensor? If so, there should already be some mitigation built-in.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #471
06YarisRS

Milk run tonight...

Here's a terrible quality video. I'll make a better one in the daytime. Max boost reached was ~5.5, so gotta get at the wastegate, plus lean up my AFRs at WOT. It is definitely a "safe" tune at WOT at around 10.5:1, so that could probably be leaned out a touch, like around 11.5, but I'll leave it as is for now, at least until I up my boost.

Anyway, it pulls hard and puts you back in your seat a bit. If I do mange to get up to 7 - 8 psi, it will be scary. Even now, I can't go WOT until about 30 - 40 km/h or the wheels will spin. It breaks loose in the video at around 50 km/h even if I ease into the throttle.

There's definitely more room for improvement, but it's a blast right now as it is. No WRX killer for sure, but if I get to my boost goal, I bet I would at least not totally embarrass myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SC...OId1fR8gZcZNvs

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged, Custom exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2011 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-06-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #472
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Oof, I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to answer you there... From what I gather, with premium fuel and not such a huge amount of boost, you should be OK... You have the advantage of not living in the hot, humid tropics too :D Does your engine have a knock sensor? If so, there should already be some mitigation built-in.
Yes, there are many variables to consider and every car, and every engine is different. I'm pretty sure I'm safe with 93 octane, low boost and cool charge temps. I rarely have to enter boost under normal driving conditions. I can easily sail up a long highway hill at 130 - 140km/h while still in vacuum. When I want full boost (which is now 6 - 6.5 after adjusting the wastegate eariler today) I go WOT and my mixtures are good and rich. My car does have a knock sensor, as far as I know.

2011 Kia Sedona LX
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #473
06YarisRS

Adjusted wastegate yesterday. I gave the arm 2 turns. Boost is now steady 6 - 6.5 psi. At one point coming off a ramp on to the highway, I hit 7 psi. I'm going to give the wastegate another turn tomorrow. If I reach 7 - 7.5 psi, I will stop there. Soon I will do another video, but in the day this time since the night one turned out so crappy.

2011 Kia Sedona LX