Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Mobil 1 Myths/Rumors

It is all over the internet that Mobil 1 is a group III synthetic, i.e. based on crude oil. However, both on their website, and if you call them and ask, they clearly state that they are a true, Group IV, PAO-based synthetic. Where did this rumor get started?
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
You answered that yourself...."It's all over the internet". If the website and the phone calls proved different, then I guess that rumor has been squished.

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
here's the spec's off mobil's site
Product Description

Mobil 1 5W-30 is a high performance fully synthetic engine oil designed to exceed the industry's toughest standards and outperform all conventional oils.. Mobil 1 5W-30 is engineered to help keep your engine running like new and extend engine life. Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge Ram SRT 10.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system. Mobil 1 5W-30 is one of the most recommended viscosity grades for new cars. This oil is uniquely designed to provide unsurpassed levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, while meeting the demanding ILSAC GF4 performance standards.

Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Fully synthetic formula with SuperSyn Technology Helps prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life
Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for all driving styles
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Outstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in a vehicle’s owners manual
Enhanced frictional properties Aids fuel economy
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting for ultra fast protection Helps to extend engine life

Applications

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is general purpose engine oil for all types of cars
Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 5W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

ACEA A1,B1
API SM, SL,SJ,EC,CF,CD
ILSAC GF-4

..>>>the last entry above is the group rating ilsac cf-4
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
caveatipse
Banned

Thus, it is a true, Class IV synthetic. Hooray!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Thanks! very informative
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
IIRC, this discussion of Mobil 1 changing from a PAO/Grp IV to a Grp III oil started on Bob Is The Oil Guy; from there it spread through the rest of the Internet. There is a very large thread(s) on that site discussing it, a simple search will find it (search for chromatography will likely yield it, the threads have been locked for a while). There is a lot of theorizing in the threads about the composition, if it changed after Mobil was acquired by Exxon etc.

People asked and never received a statement from Exxon/Mobil of the percentage of PAO in the Mobil 1 product line. This can be expected as companies like to keep that information proprietary. It's likely that the different weights of Mobil 1 contain different percentages of Grp III/IV/AN/Esters/additives etc.

There were some gas chromatography analysis of certain Mobil 1 weights/products (15W50 and 10W30) and it came back sort of inconclusive; molecular weights of the Grp III molecules and the PAO molecules might've been overlapping. The tribologists stated it could be a Grp III with a dose of PAO. You're better off reading through the threads for yourself in case I got anything wrong.

The way oil companies are formulating Grp III's today is getting their performance on-level with PAO's. Only trending with used oil analysis will really tell you if the oil you've chosen is performing up to your expectations when all things are considered (price, oil change interval etc).

I've tabulated all of the UOA's from Bob Is The Oil Guy concerning the 1NZ-FE. Should we post it on this site to give people an indication of how a specific oil will perform ?
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
Now I know why they say you can go 5000 miles + for oil changes....It takes that long to read all this crap people toss out. Oil this...fake synthetic that, cold start, not so cold start. It flows uphill in a blinding snowstorm,You can hammer a nail into a 2x4 with it. Man oh man....

Put something in, if it doesn't work, move on to something else. Purple, blue, brown....Just make sure there is oil in the crankcase.

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post

I've tabulated all of the UOA's from Bob Is The Oil Guy concerning the 1NZ-FE. Should we post it on this site to give people an indication of how a specific oil will perform ?
sure post it !!
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I am sticking with conventional oil and changing at 5,000 mile intervals. I am not sold on synthetics.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
caveatipse
Banned

Iguess my point was that, if Mobil 1 were not a true, Class IV synthetic, then they could not say that it is. Someone would have stopped them from saying that by now.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
G T X My yaris loves it.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipse View Post
Iguess my point was that, if Mobil 1 were not a true, Class IV synthetic, then they could not say that it is. Someone would have stopped them from saying that by now.
That's just it, they won't admit the percentage of the oil that is Group III or Group IV. So, the price (at least up here in Canada) is for a premium product without knowing what the actual composition of said product is...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
caveatipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
That's just it, they won't admit the percentage of the oil that is Group III or Group IV. So, the price (at least up here in Canada) is for a premium product without knowing what the actual composition of said product is...
On the phone, they say it is completely Group IV, a completely synthetic base.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
wait a minute, just because mobil 1 is ilsac gf-4 certified DOESNT mean its made from group IV oils. its just meets the requirements of that specific standard. if mobil 1 were truly made from group IV or V oils, then they would advertise the crap out of that fact, like other synthetic oil manufacturers. but they dont. why not?? probably because their oils are made from group III oils and saying otherwise would be false advertisement, leading to class-action lawsuits. im not gonna take the word of a customer service rep from mobil 1 who says what their oil is made from. just like if someone from the toyota dealership told you the yaris had 300 horsepower. they're just telling you that to sell the damn thing, just like the mobil 1 rep wants you to buy the oil. just something to think about. regardless of what mobil 1 oils are made from, they are still very good oils, and you shouldnt hesitate to use them.

--B
Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
DON'T use Mobil1...it contains Camel Urine!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I am sticking with conventional oil and changing at 5,000 mile intervals. I am not sold on synthetics.
If you check the Used Oil Analysis Lab results (UOA), you will be sold, but to be fair, using long Oil Change Intervals with Synthetic is not wise during warranty periods, just to be safe...but after 3 years or 36k miles, I plan to use Mobil1 EP 5W20 and change the oil every 10,000 miles...the science and the proof are on my side....
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #17
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
you are missin out on HP, MPG, Throttle responce, better shifting

run AMSoil 0w-30 in the engine and 75w90 in the manual trans, your car will love you, and it will love you back

Drive to Toledo, I will let you drive my car and prove to you synthetics are better
Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I noticed a difference in throttle response and MPG when I switched over to synthetic. I've run it in all my vehicles (except my $80 beater '77 corolla) and their engines ran great for many miles.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote