Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #19
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Ok so now I am REALLY confused. Is Mobil 1 a real Group IV or not? Does anyone, anywhere, have any reliable facts? I do not want to use it if there is doubt.
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipse View Post
Ok so now I am REALLY confused. Is Mobil 1 a real Group IV or not? Does anyone, anywhere, have any reliable facts? I do not want to use it if there is doubt.
Mobile1 is a great fantastic oil, and almost as good as the best: AMSOIL.

No dudes, even the best synthetic WILL NOT give you noticably better MPG, nor power, nor response...these claims are bullsheet....but don't get me wrong, Synthetic is the best oil for your Yaris and will allow the engine to wear slower...but these other claims are pure BS....I've read many control studies and I've never seen any proof that synthetic oil will give more then neglibigle power improvements, and more MPG....never believe these claims as they're all wrong.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
caveatipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post

No dudes, even the best synthetic WILL NOT give you noticably better MPG, nor power, nor response...these claims are bullsheet....but don't get me wrong, Synthetic is the best oil for your Yaris and will allow the engine to wear slower...but these other claims are pure BS....I've read many control studies and I've never seen any proof that synthetic oil will give more then neglibigle power improvements, and more MPG....never believe these claims as they're all wrong.
But is Mobil 1 a real synthetic?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Why does it matter?

The better question is: Does Mobile1 protect my engine better then the best Dino oil? And, will it cause lower engine wear rates?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #23
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
no Mobile is a Class III
Quote:

You are wrong, a more efficient motor will increase the MPG and WHP
Quote:
yes it is a real synthetic dirived from mineral oils
no it is not a completely man made synthetic
Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #24
caveatipse
Banned

But how do you know for sure that Mobil 1 is Group III? I have seen both sides of the story. what is the evidence?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #25
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ynthetics.aspx
Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
caveatipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
LOL I cannot tell what they are talking about. they never get specific.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 AM   #27
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
LOL I cannot tell what they are talking about. they never get specific.
exactly the point. all that BS on that webpage is intended to hide the fact that they are a group III oil. check this page out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

specifically, this portion:

"Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Mobil, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil in North America."

you wanted evidence, you got it. i really doubt mobil would spend tons of money to develop this process and NOT use it. here's what amsoil has on their webpage:

"Currently, each AMSOIL lubricant is formulated with the synthetic base oil or combination of base oils best suited to that lubricant’s application demands. They are optimized using the most advanced premium synthetic base oils. Although AMSOIL has publicly stated that its XL motor oils are Group III based and its other motor oils are PAO based, specific formulary information beyond that is exclusive and proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives. Each has its unique set of properties, and AMSOIL, based on its extensive experience, combines them differently for superior performance in any given application or operating condition (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperature, etc.). "

so their XL line is group III hydrocracked, but every other oil line is PAO based, which means group IV. the proof is in the pudding, now someone close this thread, PLEASE!!

--B
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 AM   #28
caveatipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
exactly the point. all that BS on that webpage is intended to hide the fact that they are a group III oil. check this page out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

specifically, this portion:

"Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Mobil, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil in North America."

you wanted evidence, you got it. i really doubt mobil would spend tons of money to develop this process and NOT use it. here's what amsoil has on their webpage:

"Currently, each AMSOIL lubricant is formulated with the synthetic base oil or combination of base oils best suited to that lubricant’s application demands. They are optimized using the most advanced premium synthetic base oils. Although AMSOIL has publicly stated that its XL motor oils are Group III based and its other motor oils are PAO based, specific formulary information beyond that is exclusive and proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives. Each has its unique set of properties, and AMSOIL, based on its extensive experience, combines them differently for superior performance in any given application or operating condition (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperature, etc.). "

so their XL line is group III hydrocracked, but every other oil line is PAO based, which means group IV. the proof is in the pudding, now someone close this thread, PLEASE!!

--B
But but but lol..the thing is, I do not trust Wikipedia for everything. Moreover, Mobil fully admits that the Extended Life oils are Group III, but they do NOt say such about regular Mobil 1. I have yet to see any truly conclusive evidence. There is just a bunch of talking around the subject from Mobil and all over the internet lol.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 AM   #29
caveatipse
Banned

What about this:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #30
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
no Mobile is a Class III

You are wrong, a more efficient motor will increase the MPG and WHP

yes it is a real synthetic dirived from mineral oils
no it is not a completely man made synthetic
Nope you are wrong...the "increase" is VERY negligible at best. Research and you too will see the truth.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #31
caveatipse
Banned

Ok, I emailed Exxon Mobile and asked them this exact question: "Could you please settle the issue once and for all: is Mobil 1 a true Group IV synthetic, and NOT a Group III synthetic?" They replied with a resounding, "Yes, it is." To me, that settles it. They would have been sued if they blatantly lied to customers.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #32
r300f28

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Amsoil 5-30. End of conversation!
r300f28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #33
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Ok, I emailed Exxon Mobile and asked them this exact question: "Could you please settle the issue once and for all: is Mobil 1 a true Group IV synthetic, and NOT a Group III synthetic?" They replied with a resounding, "Yes, it is." To me, that settles it. They would have been sued if they blatantly lied to customers.
Thanks, I was going to do the same thing, to let this damn thing come to rest!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #34
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Lu...bil1_5W-30.asp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mobil1.JPG (97.0 KB, 91 views)
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #35
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Quote:
Nope you are wrong...the "increase" is VERY negligible at best. Research and you too will see the truth.
it is obvious that you have not run synthetics in your car... I used to run it in my old car and plan to in the yaris after I get my free oil changes from the dealer. it IS noticeable and you DO feel a difference in performance and MPG. Try running redline tranny fluid, the shifts are much nicer!
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #36
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
Regardless whether a synthetic oil is a Group III or a Group IV, they are much better than a conventional in any application. With regard to what the average person on here will do in their Yaris, spending a ton of money on Royal Purple or Amsoil is overkill. I have seen Nissan Maxima's with 255,000 miles in my shop running a conventional 10W30. If they can do that on normal oil, any good synthetic oil such as Mobile 1, Valvoline SynPower, Pennzoil Platinum will be even better. Don't get caught up in the Group III or Group IV argument. It doesn't matter, they are both better than conventional oils.