Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #163
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
@ hamster -- I think that's a pretty stiff fee for a 20 minute job. Glad you got it installed ok!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #164
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Cali Yaris, I completely agree that it was a lot of money for a small, quick job, and I really wish I were physically able to do it myself. However, the dealership wanted $150, so hey, it could be worse.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #165
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ No kidding! That is a lot better than the dealer.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #166
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Yeah, I don't know how it is across the country, but the dealerships here are insane. Just out of curiosity, I inquired how much it would cost to install the splashguards. All the dealerships in my city wanted $90. I mean, WTF? I'm sorry, but it doesn't cost $90 of labor to turn a few screws.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #167
monkeycoke12
2 Door Egg Driver

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I was reading that on the hatchback/liftback yaris the best suspension mod to do was the rear sway bar...

So I was over at microimageonline.com looking for the sway bar for the hatchback..
I found http://shop.microimageonline.com/Ult...R-AR19-100.htm
but it doesn't say its for the hatchback.. most of the other products on there say if they are for one, the other, or both.. this one doesn't state anything..

Am I looking at the right bar?

I think I'm going to hell. When I'm given a compliment I'm torn between saying 'thank you' and 'I know'.
Monkeycoke12
Mods: Rims, tint, spoiler, Vitz emblems, power windows, power locks, Eiboch Pro-line springs, rear bumper guard, tow hitch, rear sway bar, vinyl decals, carbon fiber door handles, stubby antenna
Soon: aFe intake, HID fog lights, HIDs and projectors
monkeycoke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #168
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
As far as I know, all the Yarii have identical front/rear suspension parts, so all of the sway bars and bracing (except roll bar/harness mounts) are interchangeable.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #169
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Correct. Yaris suspension is the same on the liftback and the sedan. And it seems, so far, on the 2012 as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #170
monkeycoke12
2 Door Egg Driver

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Perfect.. :) Thanks guys! I just ordered 3.

Yeah I have 3 yaris'

I think I'm going to hell. When I'm given a compliment I'm torn between saying 'thank you' and 'I know'.
Monkeycoke12
Mods: Rims, tint, spoiler, Vitz emblems, power windows, power locks, Eiboch Pro-line springs, rear bumper guard, tow hitch, rear sway bar, vinyl decals, carbon fiber door handles, stubby antenna
Soon: aFe intake, HID fog lights, HIDs and projectors
monkeycoke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #171
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Two hours of my life WASTED, taking this advice... You can get the damn bar on without jacking car up and removing tires? Must have been the 19mm bar because the 23mm is a pita. No clue how I'm going to get this thing on without getting jackstands back from friend. 20 minutes my ass!

Working on a yaris has to be the most ungratifying car ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
Just installed the UR bar from MicroImage this weekend. It literally took one day to get to me (also in SoCal).

I installed it without jacking up the car and removing the wheels at around 11pm on Friday night, so I didn't get a real good look at how it fit. All I needed were racheting box wrenches (14mm & 17mm) and a torque wrench with 14mm / 17mm sockets.

Anyway, just want to mention 2 things that may or may not have been mentioned before regarding the swaybar:

1) It took longer to peel that saran wrap off the bar (the bar is completely wrapped in it) than it did to install it.

2) I had to loosen up the bolts and pull the bar down further after a test drive (there's at least 20mm of adjustment available). I initially had one end of the bar almost touching the rear torsion beam. During the test drive, it would touch and clank. Loosened, pulled the bar way down, then re-tightened. All is well.
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #172
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I recall jacking up the car and pulling the wheels. I wouldn't remove a lower shock bolt while laying under the car! I suppose if you had a lift it would be a 20min job....
Realistic , I'd allow an hour for a safe , careful install.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #173
Mz3oh5

Drives: 13' HB
Do you have to really take off your rims & tires for the install !?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #174
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz3oh5 View Post
Do you have to really take off your rims & tires for the install !?
No, but it does make it a tad bit easier. You need to be less of a contortionist with the wheels off. I did mine wheels on, and it quickly becomes apparent exactly what it is about the job that leads to the recommendation to remove them.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #175
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^Yes, this.

You don't really have to take off the wheels, but it makes the job easier and safer.

The comment about two hours is just silly, and so what if it does take that long? You only do this mod once and it's on there forever. Modding is supposed to be FUN guys.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #176
Mz3oh5

Drives: 13' HB
Ya I did that with my Tanabe Front Strut Tower Bar & it took forever (never again). Thank you for writing back! Working on cars is FUN until a dummie loses a bolt lol :)

Last edited by Mz3oh5; 10-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Mz3oh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #177
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
I do not understand how this can improve the handling unless A the rear is independant suspension and B it attaches the the body somehow.

"The 2007 Toyota Yaris' suspension system includes an independent MacPherson strut for the front and a torsion beam rear suspension with front stabilizer bar."

How does a sway bar make a difference when its not attached to anything? I want to upgrade my suspension someday but just cant think of how this would help.
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #178
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
When body roll occurs one side of the suspension goes up mechanically pulls up the other side, it's very cool and simple!
use a pair of glasses and try to simulate what happens in your car.

D.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #179
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
How does a sway bar make a difference when its not attached to anything?
How can it be on the car but not attached to anything? Technically the rear "sway" bar is a torsion bar. If you want details on how it works exactly, there are a couple of animations on the internet that make visualizing it easy.

Further, there are at least fifty customers on here (and hundreds more from my store) that ALL (and I actually mean every one) agree the rear "sway" bar on the Yaris reduces body roll, increases stability, and reduces wind buffeting and freeway wander.

Hopefully that mountain of real life evidence and testimonial is worth something.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #180
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I've done quite a few mods to my Yaris, but very few have made as big a difference as a rear sway bar. The car used to feel like I was riding on jelly; now turns are way more solid and precise.

You can't go wrong with a sway bar on this car. As caliyaris said, lots of members have bought them and I doubt you'll find one unhappy sway bar customer on here.