Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris-x View Post
My car is completely legal all I have is a TRD Rear Sway bar(factory option) and sport exhaust which is allowed
That is not correct. Again, not trying to bust on you, but you should read the SCCA rules. Your car was not available from the factory with that part, therefore it is not class-legal. Just because Toyota sells it through their dealers doesn't make it legal. TRD also sells lowering springs and a CAI. It must have been produced at the factory in that configuration, in that model year, in the package you own. So, even if they start making the rear sway standard on the 2011 "S" package, you can't run it, because you dont; have that year/model.
Same thing goes for your 6.5" wide wheels.

Stock class is extremely strict, specifically because the cars are carefully class to be competitive. You are currently being given the most generous PAX index of any car in autocross, but your car has been given a significant handling improvement over your HS competitiors and the rest of the feild by way of your PAX. You wanna win that trophy fair-and-square, right?
If you doubt me, post the question on your local SCCA forum.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
max width for ST is 245
Yes, but that's for STX and STU. ST/STS are limited to 225.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #21
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
really, the last thing you need to worry about with the yaris is chassis stiffness. its a pretty damn good chassis actually. what you really want to do is improve grip, lose weight, and pick up power! i forget the exact rules of ST now, but its basically bolt ons.

grip: so grippy tires like the Toyo R1R is good at a 205/50/15 (i think 205 is the max width for ST?) there are very few shock choices available, with the Tokico Blues and HTS. The HTS has much higher valving and are adjustable. I have yet to see any data from any of the coilover companies shocks. there are very few springs available, the Teins are probably best for motorsports at 3kgF/3.5kgR. there are some sway bar options as well, front and rear through MicroImage. there are very few other parts available, so anything else will have to be creative and custom. as for alignment, crank in the front camber, toe out the front, and leave the rear alone at the minimum. The consensus around here is for the best handling, use springs, shocks, and rear sway bar but i havent followed anyones progress really so who knows how it works.

lightening: this is pretty limited as the car is already light. a light battery would probably help a ton. i havent looked into this area much, but i think its probably pretty limited in SCCA autox.

power: there are some bolt ons available, intake, header, pulleys, exhaust so on, all class legal.

now my opinion, i think the Yaris could actually be a decent ST car. you need grippy street tires, id say at least the Star Specs, but the R1R's are supposed to be better. ive even heard the new A08 is even better, but that will cost some coin. the current suspension up seems pretty tried and true, you should be fine with Blues, STechs, and a Rear bar. id try to get as much camber dialed in the front as you can, the car needs it. as for power, the mods will do a little, but dont expect a huge leap. i cant comment on the intakes, i think they would all perform about the same in general. the only header i would consider buying is the DC. i think an exhaust is a waste of money, if i wanted to do anything, id get a shop to make a straight pipe and just bolt it on when i go race to save a little weight. a pulley is nice, since its cheap, id get one. after that, we are pretty limited on class legal power mods. personally, id like to see what we can do with the camcon by power enterprises, it is used to modify vvti. may be able to pull a couple hp with it. the best thing we can really do is lighten as much as you can. i havent looked at the rules in a long time, but weight goes a long way! improves both speed and grip! id go with a light battery, lighter seats for sure. i need to look at the rules again and figure out where you can shed more weight before i can expound on that topic.

but yeah to get started: 15" light wheels, 205 grippy street tires, springs, shocks, rear sway bar should get you 90% of the way there. things like a dc header, pulley, intake, seat can all help a small amount in terms of performance. that is my personal set up and it has netted a couple 1st places in ST class at local events, but is in no way a nationals type set up. im experimenting with that now
Thx. I'll look-into the VVTi controller, since that is a legal mod. I run 90% of the things you mentioned. I'm seat-shopping now. I run an Odyssey battery, and that's 25 lbs right there!
I'm also pretty sure that throttle controllers are legal, so I'm considering the Blitz.
Until I see a dyno chart, I'm holding-off on the headers. So far, my dyno numbers (107 whp) seem similar to people who have the header too, so not sure it does much.
Thanks for your great input!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
For the springs what about the AOE Tigertech's they are 4k/3k. You can get them through Micro Image
Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Thx. I'll look-into the VVTi controller, since that is a legal mod. I run 90% of the things you mentioned. I'm seat-shopping now. I run an Odyssey battery, and that's 25 lbs right there!
I'm also pretty sure that throttle controllers are legal, so I'm considering the Blitz.
Until I see a dyno chart, I'm holding-off on the headers. So far, my dyno numbers (107 whp) seem similar to people who have the header too, so not sure it does much.
Thanks for your great input!
skip the throttle controller. mod the driver.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
That is not correct. Again, not trying to bust on you, but you should read the SCCA rules. Your car was not available from the factory with that part, therefore it is not class-legal. Just because Toyota sells it through their dealers doesn't make it legal. TRD also sells lowering springs and a CAI. It must have been produced at the factory in that configuration, in that model year, in the package you own. So, even if they start making the rear sway standard on the 2011 "S" package, you can't run it, because you dont; have that year/model.
Same thing goes for your 6.5" wide wheels.

Stock class is extremely strict, specifically because the cars are carefully class to be competitive. You are currently being given the most generous PAX index of any car in autocross, but your car has been given a significant handling improvement over your HS competitiors and the rest of the feild by way of your PAX. You wanna win that trophy fair-and-square, right?
If you doubt me, post the question on your local SCCA forum.
i thought - and i could very well be wrong - there was a little loop-hole called 'port installed option' that allows the trd rear anti-sway bar on models/years that had that option available? again, i don't autox(yet), but i've done a fair bit of reading on the matter of hs prep and i think there's nothing wrong with taking every LEGAL advantage you can.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i thought - and i could very well be wrong - there was a little loop-hole called 'port installed option' that allows the trd rear anti-sway bar on models/years that had that option available? again, i don't autox(yet), but i've done a fair bit of reading on the matter of hs prep and i think there's nothing wrong with taking every LEGAL advantage you can.
well, it's only illegal if you get contested. and when a yaris starts whipping up on 1990 honda civics in H stock, then the civics will take notice. however, a yaris on street tires is NEVER going to be whupping up on ANYTHING in h stock..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
If i could add to this topic. I've been solo-ing for 4 years. And in subarus, now that i've blown a motor, i've been racing the yaris for a few events. I plan to run it for the rest of this season, and possibly for the next.

With that said, I now know why Yaris-x is soo fast in his class. His car should be classed in Street touring. In hawaii region, as per scca classing, NO rear sway-bar allowed, as well as aftermarket spring/struts. You can replace your strut, but stock springs must be used. There are a few modifications to be done in H-Stock, and are mostly small bolt-on stuff like axleback exhaust, a front swaybar may also be added or removed. And R-comps (tires) are allowed. That's mostly it.

Here's my mods, and it's crappy, but i'm in ST because of them. Blitz intake, TWM SSK/shifter bushings, ultra room bar, and TRD swaybar. THAT'S IT!!
I am currently on hankook rs-2's in the front, and primewell's in the rear. I can kick out the rear and spin this car like no ones business!
I am getting smoked right now by 2 honda fits, a maxima, and a few other cars in ST. Mods would help i would think, but i'm trying to improve myself as a driver (although to be honest i'm pretty good w/ AWD) trying to learn FWD.

Yeah, good tires would help, maybe 20 more HP, some neg. camber upfront and a smidge in the rear. Some toe-out in the rear. But i can't see this car competing against miatas, esp. on tighter courses, which we run in our region a lot.

But i guess i will be the only one racing, as you guys will have winter break soon, so i'll post up my results.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #27
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
not here papo, we got sun all winter ;D, if anything itll drop to 50

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
But i can't see this car competing against miatas, esp. on tighter courses, which we run in our region a lot.
that's because a yaris and a miata will never be in the same class, EVER ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #29
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Quote:
that's because a yaris and a miata will never be in the same class, EVER ;)
Yeah, thank god for that. Miatas have the power to weight of a go-kart!
2 of my buddies have around 240whp in a 2100 lb chassis.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
well, it's only illegal if you get contested. and when a yaris starts whipping up on 1990 honda civics in H stock, then the civics will take notice. however, a yaris on street tires is NEVER going to be whupping up on ANYTHING in h stock..

Well, he appears to be whooping up on all kinds of cars, since he's 2nd overall in the SCCA region he runs in.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #31
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
Yeah, thank god for that. Miatas have the power to weight of a go-kart!
2 of my buddies have around 240whp in a 2100 lb chassis.
Miata and Yaris can't be in the same class because Miatas are 2-seater.

Your buddies Miatas would run in Modified classes, since they are obviously FI cars with that HP. I have a bunch of buddies here in the DFW Miatas that are similar.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
Tamago

MR2 >Miata

haha
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #33
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
Quote:
you should be in a prepared class.

no TRIANGULATION is allowed.
fsp is prepared.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #34
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
MR2 >Miata

haha
Depends on the driver, but often that is true. I've seen peopel drive the shit out of CRX's and beat well-prepared miatas and mr2's
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #35
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
fsp is prepared.
F- STREET PREPARED is not prepared (eg.- FP,/EP/BP, etc.)

Prepared classes are where you would be with the gt-spec under bars.
And a yaris has no place in ANY prepared classes. Go look up what runs in prepared classes.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #36
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Quote:
MR2 >Miata

haha
Why, b/c it's a toyota? I plan to get one in the near future, if i can find one.