Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #55
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post

I'd love to do the LSD, but it bumps me to an absurd class.
Keep us informed, and I'll update you after my new alignment this week.
there's absolutely nothing absurd about FSP lol.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #56
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
absurd, in that I'll want to do all the allowed mods. The $$ will become absurd for my budget! I can barely afford ST! :)
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #57
Tamago

Quote:
absurd, in that I'll want to do all the allowed mods. The $$ will become absurd for my budget! I can barely afford ST! :)
in many ways, FSP is cheaper than ST..

here's how

aside from the inital cost of buying the following items, you end up spending less overall.

second set of wheels. can be had for VERY cheap because any 15's will do, as long as they're 4X100 and at least 6.5" wide....

race rubber. . i buy my tires used for around $150 a set, and get an entire season if not 1.5 seasons out of them. there's no street tire in the WORLD that will cost you that little and last that long, not to mention the ridiculous grip (at least 2 seconds faster than a street tire)

so, initial setup, let's say $500 for wheels and tires.

then another $150 a year (im positive you can find used race rubber for around that price)

or ST class, a good ST tire is gonna cost you $100 each if not a little more, and you need 4 of them. because you're streeting them too, expect to be buying new tires every 6 months or so.

so, that's $800 a year on tires alone.

skip all the other SP legal mods, they're garbage. save up for some quality struts, lowering springs (if you haven't already) get an alignment, and call it a day.

i rocked FSP with my xA for 5 years and spent about $500 in that entire span on tires.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #58
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

I prefer to run separate tires/wheels anyway, so tire wear isn't me problem. At least around here, the cars running in SP are mostly fully prepared, so not so desirable. We have a large number of regional/national competitors around here.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #59
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Interesting approach. The biggest difference I can see is that our chassis is much stiffer than the old VW's, so factor that in.
I can attest that the rear bar made a gigantic difference in handling and limiting roll, probably cut 2 seconds off my time on a 45 sec course.

I'd love to do the LSD, but it bumps me to an absurd class.
Keep us informed, and I'll update you after my new alignment this week.
yea, well, i think with normal spring ratio's, the rear bar is very helpful.

the LSD should put you in STX if you stay with street tires, right? you will never be competitive there, but if you switch to street prepared and got slicks, you may be able to be competitive, who knows.

i am not a serious autoxer, i do mostly track days, and i will still do the occasional autox. right now, i slot into ST, and should stay in ST until the LSD goes in. i wont buy slicks just to autox, so i dunno what class i would end up choosing when i go next spring.

i prefer track days, and i would like to do some NASA time trials. we have a ton of points to use bc the class we are in, TT-G, doesnt exist anymore, so to compete, you automatically have to be in TT-F, which frees up alot of points for you to use. so an LSD is no hinderance there. if i remember right, i can go to slicks, shed alot of weight, and even supercharge the car before worrying about the next class. id consider taking more weight out of the car if its simple and doesnt hurt the daily driving of the car, and i dont mind getting another set of wheels and slicks, but i probably wont supercharge it. you can also do a swap, but you assume the class of the car that the engine came out of. i think the perfect engine would be the 2.4L camary, 168 hp and its the same class as the yaris so it *may* be no penalty, but i doubt that. it shouldnt put you in TT-E though, so thats good lol.

keep up the conversation, ive been waiting to chat about these ideas for quite some time now.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #60
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

as for the convo between tamago and ozmdd, i do like autox classing as a sort of "self check" to keep from spending too much money, or money on stuff i dont need. think about it, the rules only consider things that are really competitive improvements. if its a grey area and not on there, probably not helpful. another thing is it limits you to what you can do. my old 240 is the prime example. when i first bough it and modified it like a "time attack" jdm tyte car, it drove like crap. i did one autox in a stock s2k and ended up 2nd fastest time of the day. then, i knew i was fast, but my car probably sucked. so i sold my "w00t" parts: adjustable pillow A-arms, coilovers, lots of random stuff. i used that money to buy koni's, stiff springs, full poly bushings, and a set of wheels/slicks. then, i went from floundering mid pack in SM with street tires, to dominating DSP with (used)slicks, and went so far as infuriating a national champion by hounding him at a regional event and finishing 3rd. so i basically had bolts ons: intake, header, exhaust, pulley. and i had all the suspension mods: springs, shocks, sway bars, strut bars. there were a few things left, i had a seat already, and the final big piece in street prepared was the LSD. i got a helical S15 diff, and that TRANSFORMED the car. it went from a good, solid car, to unbelievably great!

then i started doing track days and totally forgot about autox lol i still try to loosely conform to some sort of class rules from SCCA mostly to keep me from buying stuff i dont need.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #61
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Yaris-X turns-out to be right on the sway bar. check this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...021#post401021
Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #62
Tamago

Quote:
Yaris-X turns-out to be right on the sway bar. check this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...021#post401021
nope, read my reply.

he's still wrong.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #63
Tamago

Quote:
I prefer to run separate tires/wheels anyway, so tire wear isn't me problem. At least around here, the cars running in SP are mostly fully prepared, so not so desirable. We have a large number of regional/national competitors around here.
then that saves you money on wheels.

now all you have to do is find one of those nationals guys with a set of scrubbed R comps he wants to dump before they get brittle from non-use and you're set for the season.

FSP ftw!
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #64
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
then that saves you money on wheels.

now all you have to do is find one of those nationals guys with a set of scrubbed R comps he wants to dump before they get brittle from non-use and you're set for the season.

FSP ftw!

or buy 2 yr old motorola cup hoosiers lol
Old 10-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #65
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
or buy 2 yr old motorola cup hoosiers lol
yup, or spec miata R888's and/or RA1's.. i've put hundreds of miles on used RA1's.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #66
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
yup, or spec miata R888's and/or RA1's.. i've put hundreds of miles on used RA1's.
good thought, id like some R888s
Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #67
Tamago

i've heard the Spec miata guys are boycotting the R888's actually, in favor of the older brother, the RA1
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #68
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Yup. This is what we're hearing from up north in Canada. Toyo USA seems to be bending under the pressure of groups like NASA to bring back the RA1.
The R888 is turning out to be a different animal than the RA1. Is it cost?
People are noticing that the R888's don't need as much camber on them to work as effectively as the RA1's which seem to need more camber in them.

Of course these are all the GG compound tires you guys have in the USA. In Japan we have the SG compound which is Hoosier A6 territory!! :)

Maybe soon you guys will get this compound in the R888's. Spread the word!
SG compound, We want them and want the SCCA to approve the tire for competition!!!!

The Yaris will do well in FSP with just suspension, LSD and tires. Smooth driving and learn to execute the tighter turns when you are in a gear that may be too tall to get any use of the power. Try some 225/45/13's to improve the gear ratio. This will help alot if you can't find a close ratio box.

You can also go 255/45/13 from Hoosier up front and put on 225/s on the back. Some fender work will need to be done.....
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #69
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Or go with the big boys and play in SM!!!
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #70
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
Or go with the big boys and play in SM!!!
but whyyyyyyyy!!!!

it's sad that a supercharger puts you in SM, when the car could technically be thrown in STX or STU and be competitive without dominating.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #71
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Depends on the driver, but often that is true. I've seen peopel drive the shit out of CRX's and beat well-prepared miatas and mr2's
Ahhh, you were there?!?! I didn't think anybody saw me. j/k. I actually got my arse handed to me in my CRX. The yaris, well, that's a different story. Well, not really. Still got my arse handed to me! LOL
.....but stay tuned...muahahahahahaha
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #72
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Quote:
well, it's only illegal if you get contested. and when a yaris starts whipping up on 1990 honda civics in H stock, then the civics will take notice. however, a yaris on street tires is NEVER going to be whupping up on ANYTHING in h stock..
Oh how wrong that last sentence is. There have been two in my region that have placed in the top 3 every event and even a few first place finishes. Driver experience is key.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote