Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Roll bar Installed

So we made a roll bar per the NASA rules for TT. turned out pretty nice
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
nemesisz
559 Before the Hack

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Nice roll bar.

Did you scale your car for before and after weight? I am just curious about the weight. Also can you tell us about the specs for the materials (tube diameter and type)?

Do you have any additional pictures like the mounting plates and weld quality?

One final question, is the diagonal bar on the main hoop one piece? Can’t tell because of the lighting in the picture.

Sorry of the 20 questions but I have been researching roll bars and cages for a few weeks now.
nemesisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If you guys did all the bending yourself, you should have built it a lot wider and higher. There's too much crush area between the body and the cage to be as effective as a roll bar should be.

In the event of a side impact, the car would crush into the seat before it hits the bar. Same applies in a roll over.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
If you guys did all the bending yourself, you should have built it a lot wider and higher. There's too much crush area between the body and the cage to be as effective as a roll bar should be.

In the event of a side impact, the car would crush into the seat before it hits the bar. Same applies in a roll over.
yea i was thinking the same thing, it should be a tight fit, could just be the angle of the photos though

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Those are teaser pics --- details!!!

also, is it not attached to the B pillars?
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post

I agree. I also would not like having that tube right behind my head/seat. Proper aligning of the harness, if one is going to be used, could also be a challenge with the down tube being behind the seat.

NASA 11.4.7 Roll Bars
All open cars should have a roll bar installed to help protect the occupant(s) from injury
during a roll-over. The roll bar should be able to withstand the compressional forces
involved in supporting the full weight of the car. The roll bar’s main hoop should extend
the full width of the car (except certain cars that have been approved by NASA).
The
main hoop shall be one continuous piece with smooth bends and no evidence of
crimping or wall failure shall be present (i.e. should be Mandrel bends). All welds should
be of the highest possible quality, with full penetration [Ref:(15.6.15)]. All cars with roll
bars are required to have adequate roll bar padding per CCR section #15.6.4. In cases
where the driver’s head may come in contact with the roll bar should the seatback fail, a
seatback brace is required in conformance with section #15.6.22. The material and
minimums are as follows: (All cars with full roll cages should conform to the applicable
sections found in section #15.0.)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

looks awesome, i want one now :D
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

I dont know what to tell you guys, i dont build cages.

the bar isnt anywhere near my head, the harness bar lines up right behind the slots in the seat per the rules for the harness.

i would have thought the bar would be closer to the B pillar as well, but he did not like the way that would mount to the chassis. The roll bar is outside my shoulder when I am in the seat, the left upper "wing" of the seat sticks out a little bit.

its certainly better protection than it was, im not going to argue cage design though as i dont know much on the subject, hence having my cage built for me. this guy has built lots of cages for local cars that have competed for years in SCCA and NASA events. the purpose of the bar is serve as protection in the worst case scenario while on track while retaining some streetability since it is still a daily driven car.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Those are teaser pics --- details!!!

also, is it not attached to the B pillars?
i think that becomes an additional points penalty for doing so...
Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisz View Post
Nice roll bar.

Did you scale your car for before and after weight? I am just curious about the weight. Also can you tell us about the specs for the materials (tube diameter and type)?

Do you have any additional pictures like the mounting plates and weld quality?

One final question, is the diagonal bar on the main hoop one piece? Can’t tell because of the lighting in the picture.

Sorry of the 20 questions but I have been researching roll bars and cages for a few weeks now.
we didnt weight it before and after, no scales.

I would have to ask what tubing he used, he took care of all that.

ill get pics of the lower mounts.

The diagonal bar is one piece because the rule book states it must be. the harness bar is two pieces.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
kou

Drives: 08 lb
looks good.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote