Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
rossman

Drives: 2006 YARIS RS
Squealing Belt

I just got my belt and water pump replaced. Since that my belt has been squeeling. I had it tightened by my mechnic but he doesnt want to over tighten it and blow the pump.

The belt seems to squeek when I start the car, then it stops. It has just recently started squeeling when I am stopped at a light.

Any suggestions?....would applying belt dressing help prevent the belt from slipping?
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
no warranty on that new belt??? even if its autoparts store im sure it has some sort of warranty....
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
why don't you tighten it yourself? Unless you are super strong or use a super size pry bar, I don't think you can over tighten it. Just don't put a bar against the oil valve thingy. Put it against the engine mount on the side... took me a while to figure out how it would fit in there to provide proper pressure on the alternator...

I got squeaky sounds at 85,000 miles, and figured I'd replace the belt. So I did it myself, and still had squeaking after replacement. So I tightened it some more, and now I have no bad sounds at all. The condition of the old belt was actually not bad at all... small cracks, no major wear, could've kept going to 100,000 or longer.

I think the manual says 7-8mm when installing, 11-13mm deflection after running for 5 minutes... That's not much really. + I think the belt stretches a little after 5 minutes of running also.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
First off, your mechanic is to be commended for not wanting to overtighten the belt.

A new belt should not squeal if everything is lined up and tightened properly.

However, as pointed out a new belt can stretch a bit when new. So, I would check to make shure it is tightened properly
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
aprilnroberts

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Do you think a dying battery would affect the belt squeak? I was told that with the voltage being low that might be putting a load on the alternator, causing the belt to squeak.

whats your thoughts?
aprilnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
just tighten it bit by bit until squeeling stops. i always thought if it squeels its loose still. best to do it in winter time.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
sounds like the belt has stretched. this is why I HATE dayco and driverite belts. They are like rubber bands.

Belt dressing is really just used as a diagnosis. If the squeel goes away when you spray it, then its the belt, the squeel will come back after a bit. (used mostly when you have a small consistant squeel that is hard to tell the difference between a squeel and a bearing).

I agree with most here, just tighten it up some more.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Apply firm thum pressure midway on the longest run of the belt. It should deflect 8 to 9mm. If greater it needs tightening. If OK do not tighten any more it will ruin the water pump bearing, a new, quality belt is needed, the pulleys cleaned and the belt tensioned correctly.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
I had same problem after replacing belt and water pump from toyota dealer I had to replaced with new belt , my other belt had less then 5k miles on it. Problem fixed :)
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote