Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #37
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanermoon View Post
This has been an issue in my Yaris since the first summer I used the A/C (note: also the first summer I had the car.)

I have found the best tool from under the car is a heave gauge guitar wire. Thanks for the tip on the in-cabin option - I think that will be far easier than having to jack the car up every time I have to do this. My dealer basically said there is no fix for it, and the best thing to do is to continue emptying it.

Don't let it go too long, though! I just found out today that I burned out my blower motor, and will now need to replace it.

I am competent enough to change a tire, and check oil, etc. I am pretty good at directions. Would this be a repair I might do myself, or would it need a lot of tools I don't have? I just don't have the money to pay to have it done, and no cabin air is a real bummer.
Replacing the blower is not bad, as it is at the bottom of the stack, behind the passenger glove box. Are you sure that the blower is actually bad? Will it not spin at all, or is it making noise?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #38
MiniSipperton
I've made a post!

Drives: Bayou Blue 2DR HB
I had this exact thing happen on my 08 hatchback. I did try unclogging the hose which was only a temporary fix. I finally took it to the dealership on Saturday as it was due for a warranty maintainence. When I dropped it off the service guy scratched his head and seemed mystified. However, when the service manager called later that afternoon she stated that this was a known problem and would be covered under the warranty. She also stated that they had to order a new part and it would be in Tuesday and possibly fixed by Wednesday. The new part had something to do with the cowel. Happily enough, she also said they would be detailing the car to get the stink out of the rugs. I'm hoping when we go to pick it up today that all she said holds true.

I'll get back to the forum tonight to report the new part and any other details that might be of interest.
MiniSipperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #39
JamieTC171
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
My '07 hatchback has been leaking for awhile. Today I finally took out the drainage tube and stuck a coat-hanger up into it to drain it out. A whole lot of nasty water came out but when I was driving it afterwards with the a/c on full, no air is blowing out. Sometimes the air will come out just a tiny little bit(it's cold air) but then it quits coming out again. How do I go about fixing this? Is this something I can do/fix myself or should I go to the mechanic? My car is not under warranty and I'm a broke college student so any fix that I can do myself would be great.
JamieTC171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #40
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTC171 View Post
My '07 hatchback has been leaking for awhile. Today I finally took out the drainage tube and stuck a coat-hanger up into it to drain it out. A whole lot of nasty water came out but when I was driving it afterwards with the a/c on full, no air is blowing out. Sometimes the air will come out just a tiny little bit(it's cold air) but then it quits coming out again. How do I go about fixing this? Is this something I can do/fix myself or should I go to the mechanic? My car is not under warranty and I'm a broke college student so any fix that I can do myself would be great.
Have you checked the cabin filter?
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #41
crazedpenguinattack
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris
I have had this exact same problem twice now. I've had my Yaris for 3 years and I just hit the 31000 marker. The first time it happened was a year ago and Toyota fixed it under the warranty because there was a crack somewhere.
It started happening again so I took it in right away thinking it would be the same thing. There's no crack this time, they said it's leaking becuase the hose is clogged by leaves. They say it's not covered by warranty because the leaves are an "outside source and I parked in an unprotected area". Toyota wants me to pay $700 bucks to clean my soaked carpet and to unclog the hose!! No thank you I can do it myself!
Now I see that it is a commom fault with this model car. I have always heard such great things about Toyota, which is why I was sure to purchase my first new car from them.
I am so angry that they are fully aware that this is such a commom problem and yet refuse to take measures to fix and prevent it. I will never buy a Toyota again.
crazedpenguinattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #42
tenaz

Drives: 2007
Arrow Air Conditioner Noise & Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedpenguinattack View Post
I have had this exact same problem twice now. I've had my Yaris for 3 years and I just hit the 31000 marker. The first time it happened was a year ago and Toyota fixed it under the warranty because there was a crack somewhere.
It started happening again so I took it in right away thinking it would be the same thing. There's no crack this time, they said it's leaking becuase the hose is clogged by leaves. They say it's not covered by warranty because the leaves are an "outside source and I parked in an unprotected area". Toyota wants me to pay $700 bucks to clean my soaked carpet and to unclog the hose!! No thank you I can do it myself!
Now I see that it is a commom fault with this model car. I have always heard such great things about Toyota, which is why I was sure to purchase my first new car from them.
I am so angry that they are fully aware that this is such a commom problem and yet refuse to take measures to fix and prevent it. I will never buy a Toyota again.
Yup Toyota tried that with me.
Toyota is a company that is concerns to make $$$$ only after you own the car they don't care about you as a Customer.
Thats why they have a bunch of Law suits In process.
They used the same tactic with the Camry and the Prius Now After the Federal Gov proof them those cars have some issues....They just now accepting some type of responsability.....
I hope by my court date I have the report from http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/
I want to know by then What is going to be Toyota's Answer.

TENAZ

Pm: Everyone having the same issues with the A/C should report to the link above.
So Toyota can take care of our Yaris's a/c issues.

Last edited by tenaz; 06-27-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: correction
tenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #43
yarisarisheris
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
Water in the passenger side floorboard

So glad to find this forum and more precisely this thread. My wife's 08 Yaris was experiencing much the same thing. I suspected a condensation buildup on the exterior of the A/C duct work, etc as we couldn't locate a specific leak location, but after reading through your posts, I turned my focus on the drain tube.

Oddly when I pulled the grommet end if from the firewall, the whole tube (~6-7 inches) rested neatly in my hand. The tube was not plugged after all, but instead the tube must have slipped off the plastic drain port at the base of the pan. I could find no hose clamp or much in the way to offer resistance to prevent the rubber tube from sliding off should someone stretch out their legs a little "too far" and dislodging it.

I checked to make sure everything associated with the drain was clean before reattaching the tube. Now the waiting game . . .

Cheers!
yarisarisheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #44
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
wow, so many people's first (and only) post on this topic. I still think toyota makes good cars...but that could because i have not experienced this leak..,yet
Old 09-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #45
Ivy23

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Angry

Happy to have found this forum, but so aggravated with my '08 Yaris sedan. I've always had bad odor with the a/c in re-circ mode. Blamed it on my husband's smoking, never realized it was a design flaw. Then started having the mildew/mold odor, but didn't think much of it. Now I'm experiencing the running water sound when making left turns. Noticed it 2 days ago, and it's getting progressively worse. Thanks to CTScott, I accessed the drain hose. Unfortunately, nothing comes out, even after I fed a large plastic tie strap up the hose. I also removed the glove box and found no debris blocking the intake. Of course, this car is not equipped with an air filter. Oh yeah, at just over 90K miles, no warranty coverage, not that Toyota would cover it anyway. Now what? I'm totally bummed about this whole thing and am scared that continuing to run the a/c will cause damage. $ is a major concern and would like to DIY as much as I possibly can. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Ivy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #46
Ivy23

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Solution for clogged A/C drain - I read through all these posts and tried to unclog the condensate hose both from under the vehicle and by pulling up the carpet on the passenger side and accessing the hose from inside the vehicle. I was unable to unclog the drain. This morning we were successful. We used a wet/dry shop vac. First a short blast of air into the hose to dislodge the clog, then suction to drain everything out. It appears to have worked. Now we are cleaning the carpets and installing an in-cabin air filter. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen again.
Ivy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #47
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
wow, so many people's first (and only) post on this topic. I still think toyota makes good cars...but that could because i have not experienced this leak..,yet
+1

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #48
kevbat
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 yaris
Just had the same wet rug condition in my 2008 Yaris sedan. I first want to thank the previous posters for the great suggestions and pics. I used a thin 14" cable tie to dislodge the the clog followed by the shop vac to suck out any remaining debris. I used a cup to catch the backed up water (which I promptly knocked over). I've only had this leak for a few days and the smell was minor. I used the wet vac to dry the carpets and hopefully this will last for a while.

Thanks again.
Kb
kevbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #49
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I am having same issue. I cleaned drain line and 3 weeks later it started leaking again. This time I pulled drain line off and it is not clogged. It looks like water in the plastic container that the drain line hooks to. Can I try to use a piece of wire and push it in the hole where drain line connects to. With out a mirror I cant see in that hole but I gently tried a piece of wire and I didn't seem to slide in at all. I have a 07 with 98,000 miles and no cabin filter from factory. I did manage to get enough water to fill a gallon milk container with just over an inch of water after cleaning line.
So, I am wondering if where the drain line hooks to plastic container if that should be a big opening or not as my wire didn't want to go without forcing it
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #50
slick1
Curiousity killed the kat

Drives: Yaris 2007
Simple solution: Yaris air conditioner water drainage/retention/sloshing problem

1) Lift up the carpets on the front passenger side of the car.
2) Disconnect rubber hose (top right hand corner) from the airbox.
3) Unplug rubber plug in the bottom of the car (underneath the carpet) to allow water to drain
4) Stick a hanger or stiff piece of wire into the hole in the airbox (and shake it all about)

Only took a few minutes to do.

I have pictures if someone would like to see what the hose looks like (this site needs a file area?).

Much simpler than accessing it from underneath the car.

Much cheaper than the dealers who quoted about $300 to do it (said they needed to rip everything out).

The dealers also claimed they'd never seen this problem before.

The smell seems to be mold or something from the airbox/carpet... and starts to disappear after the car has dried out.

I'm really disappointed by the Toyota response. This is obviously a common problem which they should be able to diagnose on the spot.

The solution is probably to fit a larger hose and/or to provide easy access to clean the airbox.

This is a manufacturing issue... and Toyota should address it.

Thanks very much to those who posted information which helped to diagnose this problem.

:-)

Last edited by slick1; 12-16-2010 at 08:55 PM.
slick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #51
Jassa123

Drives: Yaris
Water leaking under dash easily fixed!

Hello all, i am very excited to say i just fixed the water leaking from under the dashboard on the passenger side. I called up toyota 2 days ago with my problem and was told it would be an all day job and they would have to remove my dashboard (would cost around $400) They said my air con was blocked and was causing all the water to leak into my heater box and then run onto the floor. Well i thought that sounded like BS and so decided to google the problem and found many people with the same issue. The solution is simple.

Under the dash on the passenger side, pull back the flap of carpet a little bit and on the right hand side, down low, there is a little black soft tube that is leading to the outside of the car. Just pull on it and it will easily pop out. Dont worry it will pop back in afterwards. Then get a stick or something flexible and stick it up the tube being gentle. Water will run out when you have unblocked it. then plug it back in and the problem is fixed. No more water on your floor. I am a 28 year old girl with no expereince in cars and i fixed it so dont go to Toyota for this problem and save yourself $400. Good luck everyone. Hope this helps all with the same annoying problem. :)
Jassa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #52
Jassa123

Drives: Yaris
I agree Toyota are absolute A holes... they quoted me $400 to fix and i fixed it myself in 2 minutes the way you said... very very disappointed and angry with them..
Also it shouldnt happen in a new car in the first place
Jassa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #53
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassa123 View Post
Hello all, i am very excited to say i just fixed the water leaking from under the dashboard on the passenger side. I called up toyota 2 days ago with my problem and was told it would be an all day job and they would have to remove my dashboard (would cost around $400) They said my air con was blocked and was causing all the water to leak into my heater box and then run onto the floor. Well i thought that sounded like BS and so decided to google the problem and found many people with the same issue. The solution is simple.

Under the dash on the passenger side, pull back the flap of carpet a little bit and on the right hand side, down low, there is a little black soft tube that is leading to the outside of the car. Just pull on it and it will easily pop out. Dont worry it will pop back in afterwards. Then get a stick or something flexible and stick it up the tube being gentle. Water will run out when you have unblocked it. then plug it back in and the problem is fixed. No more water on your floor. I am a 28 year old girl with no expereince in cars and i fixed it so dont go to Toyota for this problem and save yourself $400. Good luck everyone. Hope this helps all with the same annoying problem. :)
Nice job. I have this problem every fall as my driveway in under trees and I get the falling leaves on my car. Had to clean it 3 times last year. I rarely go to a shop for repairs.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #54
rnoelr
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
A/C noise & Condensation

My wife asked me to look at her Yaris which was making a sloshing sound when it turned and there was some condensation seeping onto the passenger side floor mat. I took the bottom cover off and saw the A/C was full of water and was not draining. It was also creating condensation, which in turn, leaked into the passenger compartment. The condensation was easy to wipe up and I pulled the mat out to allow it to dry. I took a basting bulb and sucked out the water from the clogged drainage under the car. Do not blow into the drainage hole because you will only cause more problems. The baster bulb will cost you about $2.75 at your local grocers and you will use it again when you baste that turkey at Thanksgiving. It took about 4-6 squeezes to really get the water to start draining. It beats leaving your car at the dealership too.
Cheers!
rnoelr is offline   Reply With Quote