Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Exclamation Proposed changes to SCCA Solo rules for 2013 season

Here's the full document link:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...-july-solo.pdf
The part that is of particular interest to us Yaris pilots:
STREET TOURING
  • The previously-published proposal to revise the ST category minimum treadwear rating has been withdrawn. The SEB
    believes at this time that a better way to address specific parity issues is to make use of the ST exclusion list.
  • The SEB is considering, per 14.3.D, the following addition to the ST tire exclusion list, effective 1/1/2013:
    Toyo Proxes R1R 195/50-15 size only
    Comment: This size has proven to be faster than the rest of the R1R lineup, and in classes in which some cars can use this tire where other cars cannot, it is discouraging participation by those unable to use it. It is the opinion of the SEB that those members who are currently running this tire have many other options which will maintain the competitiveness of their car,
    while also encouraging more participation by those members who cannot use this size. Much of the feedback to the now withdrawn proposal to raise the treadwear limit contained suggestions that the SEB better utilize the exclusion list, versus making a wholesale change to the treadwear limit. This proposal is in response to that feedback.

But then there was this:
http://www.solomatters.com/2012/08/a...-seb/#more-730
The Solo Events Board has withdrawn the proposal published in the July Fastrack to put the Toyo Proxes R1R 195/50-15 tire on the exclusion for the Street Touring Category in 2013. The performance of this tire has generated a lot of controversy and kept the internet boards and forums humming. Despite some SEB members concerns about the performance of the tire, the overwhelming majority of member input supported keeping the tire as an option for Street Touring Classes. as a result, we will not put the 195/50-15 Toyo on the exclusion list for 2013.

This does not affect the recent rule change in Road Tire to raise the tread wear rating to 180.
All of this leaves me pretty well confused, but it definitely means that I'm waiting until the 2013 rules are officially published before I sink any cash into new tires.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
You need to catch up a bit. If read the July FasTrack, but then not any subsequent editions you will be lost - at this point you either need to go back and read Aug to current, or wait for the 2013 rules to be published.

The end result is the Toyo is not excluded from the ST category, but it was banned (195/50-15 only) from the supplemental Road Tire category.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 12-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan

OK, so in the December issue they attempted to clear it up:

ROAD TIRE
The SEB has decided, after considering member input, to retract the change which increased the Road Tire minimum required treadwear rating from 140. This will be reflected in the Supplemental Regulations for future National Tour events.

The SEB has also decided that for the Road Tire classes the following tire will be on the Exclusion List, effective 1/1/2013:
So my understanding is that if you run HS, you can use R-comps by default, or choose to use "road tires" that are 140+ treadwear (sans the 195/50R15) and run in the RT supplemental class. If you run STF, you have to use 140+ but can use the 195/50R15.

If that is the case, then the 195/50R15 seems to be the best choice for those of us who have done enough mods to push out of Stock but aren't ready for Street Mod. Agreed?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
OK, so in the December issue they attempted to clear it up:

ROAD TIRE
The SEB has decided, after considering member input, to retract the change which increased the Road Tire minimum required treadwear rating from 140. This will be reflected in the Supplemental Regulations for future National Tour events.

The SEB has also decided that for the Road Tire classes the following tire will be on the Exclusion List, effective 1/1/2013:
So my understanding is that if you run HS, you can use R-comps by default, or choose to use "road tires" that are 140+ treadwear (sans the 195/50R15) and run in the RT supplemental class. If you run STF, you have to use 140+ but can use the 195/50R15.

If that is the case, then the 195/50R15 seems to be the best choice for those of us who have done enough mods to push out of Stock but aren't ready for Street Mod. Agreed?
You need to be a bit more specific. Yes, the 195/50-15 R1R is a great tire for an ST Yaris. However, just because you have modded past stock trim does not mean you are an SM car with a tire change.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan

Hmm, my brain seems to be a bit mushy this week. Must be final exams? I seem to be making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Here's my current understanding...

For an H-Stock Yaris you can:
1. Use R-comps without a class change, or
2. Use 140+ treadwear and run RT supplemental (but not the 195/50-15)

For me, I have a lightweight crank pulley. That puts me in STF by itself. Aftermarket shocks and springs also put me in STF. ST classes do not allow R-comps, and require minimum 140 treadwear. I have aspirations of further mods (gearbox, flywheel, LSD, etc.) that would put me in some kind of Mod class, but that's probably going to have to wait until after graduation.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Hmm, my brain seems to be a bit mushy this week. Must be final exams? I seem to be making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Here's my current understanding...

For an H-Stock Yaris you can:
1. Use R-comps without a class change, or
2. Use 140+ treadwear and run RT supplemental (but not the 195/50-15)

For me, I have a lightweight crank pulley. That puts me in STF by itself. Aftermarket shocks and springs also put me in STF. ST classes do not allow R-comps, and require minimum 140 treadwear. I have aspirations of further mods (gearbox, flywheel, LSD, etc.) that would put me in some kind of Mod class, but that's probably going to have to wait until after graduation.
Flywheel and LSD are ok in FSP, once you change the internal trans gearing you are hosed.