Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
New O-ring for MAF sensor

Hi folks,
I have been cleaning my MAF sensor (never done before on this particular car, 80,000 miles and it was gunky af). Anyway, I was a bit surprised when I pulled the MAF out and the o-ring sealing it inside the airbox was broken...

So, I cleaned the MAF, glued the o-ring together , put everything together. Engine works, no engine error. But next time I am under the hood I would like to replace that o-ring with a new one. Or at least I would like to have one o-ring as a spare, just in case.

The problem is - it seems I cannot find the o-ring itself as a spare part! I can find it for several other MAFs but not for my 22204-0J010. I am even considering buying some Chinese MAF clone from ebay for 20 bucks and use just the o-ring but that is rather inefficient solution.

Any idea where to get that o-ring? Just to make it clear, here is a picture showing which o-ring I have in mind. Thanks!
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I can understand why a new O-ring would be desirable but if there's no code there's no problem. I would try installing the sensor with no o ring and see if it throws the code. Again if there's no code there's no problem.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I believe there is some reason in the functional o-ring, otherwise Toyota would not use it.
I can imagine that the MAF sensor can work even without the O-ring but it may suck in some unwanted dirty air that can clog the throttle body faster than the air that goes through a filter. Or something like that. :)
I totally agree that if there is no engine light alarming or a strange sound heard then there is no reason for panic. I just want to have everything in as good shape as possible. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Just bring the o-ring to an auto parts store and they should be able to match it from a bulk selection.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote