Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Frank Graham

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Running with oil plug out

Best friend's 2007 Yaris had the oil changed at some quicklube joint which, apparently, left the drain plug loose. They also didn't reset the "maintenance due" light, which caused her to not pay attention to the "check engine" light. At the stoplight last night, engine stopped. Bottom line: the engine was run without any oil for some time. Currently will not start (oil plug and filter replaced, coolant topped up). Only one computer code: P0012 ("A camshaft position - timing over-retarded (Bank 1).

Is this hopeless?
Frank Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
call the oil change place tell them they owe you a motor.

they have insurance for stuff like that.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
First call the shop. Get them to own up for this mistake. KEEP ALL THE DOCUMENTATION.

If they get shitty with you, call the BBB, local news stations, etc. Fight this one.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It doesn't sound good. Every so often I hear horror stories of these shops. I don't even trust the dealer enough in regards to the proper fill or viscosity to let them do the change. I agree with schleppy do what is ever necessary. Also insist that Toyota do the engine rebuild.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Thats what you get for letting some idiot at jiffylube change your oil instead of changing your own
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
schleppy
I love momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Thats what you get for letting some idiot at jiffylube change your oil instead of changing your own
Come on man, there's a time and a place for those kinda comments. How would you feel if you were in Frank's position and someone dumped on you?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Come on man, there's a time and a place for those kinda comments. How would you feel if you were in Frank's position and someone dumped on you?
I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just saying. Do as the previous posters said and contact the shop. If you have all documentation and are professional about it they should probably replace the motor. If they give you any hassle get a lawyer.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Sounds like a spun bearing. Deffinatly call the shop and get them to pay for a new motor.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
I take my car to have the oil changed. Not that I couldn't do it myself but the place I live at (an apartment) won't allow it. It's a chance I have to take, too.

Sorry about your friends car. I'd be heartbroken and mad as hell. Do not let them give you the runaround.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Jiffy Lube had to replace my transmission in my Tacoma for the same reason.
I paid for tranny flush and they never put any fluid back in. I had to fight tooth and nail, but they paid in the end.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
I take my car to have the oil changed. Not that I couldn't do it myself but the place I live at (an apartment) won't allow it. It's a chance I have to take, too.

Sorry about your friends car. I'd be heartbroken and mad as hell. Do not let them give you the runaround.
My apartment complex doesnt "allow" it either, but I still do it! Dont even need a jack!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Perhaps pistons are siezed inside the motor due to running long without oil. The vehicle would need a new motor and the shop that did it will have to pay for it. Do not settle for them to put in a used or rebuilt specifically ask for a new one.

If you can not get them to pay you can try to unseize the motor by putting a extremly large and strong breaker bar to the crank and trying to rotate it by hand. If you can break it loose and start up you may be lucky. Still there will be engine damage and the life off the engine is going to be greatly reduced either way. But atleast you have a running vehicle again.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post

you need to make friends with people that own houses with garages lol
I'm noticing a pattern......

Last edited by Shroomster; 04-27-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I dont know why people go to quicklube shops and have people who have barely basic knowledge to change the oil let alone know what types of filters and oil quantities vehicles take. And then take that inexeperienced person and tell him to change your oil in under 15 minutes is just asking for disaster.

take it to someone who you can trust like a local shop if you dont know of anyone use yelp. Find a place that has good reviews and track record. Someone experienced that is going to take their time is going to ofcourse have less mistakes.

You hear time after time of quicklube shops making mistakes. Most of the time no one employed there not even the manager is of drinking age.

I am sorry if i offend anyone here that works a jiffylube or simular place but all the quick lube shops around my area are like that.

I know first hand i hired a completed idiot lube tech at my last shop. One time he put in about 8 quarts of oil in a 4 cylinder car. Another time a car had its oil chagned and was parked outside without having oil put in, one time he put oil in the power steering resivoire. Dont ask me how these things even happend i have no clue. After i fired him he got employed at jiffy lube and still works there years later. I feel bad for the peoples cars he has changed oil on. I am sure they are leaving with more oil than is required or less oil.

Oh yeah and he is ASE certified too!!!!!! LOL
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
schleppy
I love momentum.

Any updates Frank?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Frank Graham

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Guys, I gotta thank everyone who has piped up! You have given me courage to take on the oil change place and you have given me some advice (get a new engine from Toyota, instead of a rebuild) that I wouldn't have known about.

My pal (female) is utterly heartbroken about the thing: she is a single mom who drives her kids all over kingdom come every day and she is out a car for the duration of getting this fixed. Got to get a rental car that she can't afford for how ever long this takes.

She's got a valuable resource in, actually, me. I'm a lawyer and I'm hammering out what we call a "nuclear-war" letter to the lube joint in a few minutes. I expect them to come back with "not our fault" or "you can't prove it" or "ya wanna sue us? Get in line" response.

I used to do all my own car maintenance when I was in school and afterwards, so I identify with the DIY attitude. My pal, though, hasn't the time or ability to do this sort of thing.

Anybody have a WAG (wild-ass-guess) as to the cost of getting a new engine, assuming we have to do that without the assistance of the lube joint?
Frank Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Graham View Post

Anybody have a WAG (wild-ass-guess) as to the cost of getting a new engine, assuming we have to do that without the assistance of the lube joint?
www.car-part.com

look for an xA, xB, echo engine. you'll have to swap wiring harnesses though, and throttle bodies.

should be able to get a low miles longblock for under $500. if i was local to you i'd do the swap for $200 labor.

you should be able to get the entire job done for under $1000 if you research properly.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
try http://www.toyodiy.com for the exact engine......

they list a short block (NEW - everything but the cylinder head) for 2200 and looks like a completely new head costs about 800

so roughly $3,000 for a brand new COMPLETE MOTOR WITHOUT INSTALLATION
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote