Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
3rd Gen Gauge Cluster Swap :D

Tired of not having a RPM gauge on your not manual Yaris?
Good News Everyone! I found a cost effective solution!

Using the buying service Buyee I purchased a JDM Vitz gauge cluster off Yahoo Auction Japan to try and see if it would work in my 2014 LE with no tachometer. It was only $30 which is a fraction of the cost of a USDM gauge cluster on Ebay.

Heres the good stuff, before and after!

Pros:
It was (semi) plug and play, both plugs are identical to the USDM cluster.
took 2 minutes to install. Pull trim off with hands, unscrew two screws and then pop the gauge cluster forward, unclipping two clips on top with hand.
Eliminates the TPMS Light if you have aftermarket rims
Beeps and blinks the reverse symbol when in reverse for extra safety
No matter what transmission you have (auto/manual) Every Yaris/Vitz gauge cluster has the readout for the gear you are in. It just doesn't show up when you have a manual car. (this gauge cluster is off a 5MT Vitz and my car is auto)
If you're into the whole JDM hype thing this is a cheap cool swap to get those JDMYO! points ;D I personally am not.

Cons:
Mileage DOES NOT STAY THE SAME. I'm sure you will have to go to Toyota dealership to have a tech change it using tech stream or something. It's not a big deal for me, but if your concerned about your mileage you should track it then go down and geterdone.
Bitch is only in KM but you can just remember 100Km/h is 60 MPH roughly
Outside air temp doesn't read anymore, but the pin on the harness is in the exact same location on both cars, I think its a ECU issue with the Celsius Fahrenheit thing difference.

Update: Just tried jumping a pin around on the harness and it looks like the diagram I got online was a little incorrect, the wire is switched on the Vitz cluster so you will need to re-pin that to get the ambient air temp to read, but it does read correctly once done.

UPDATE: After driving it at night I found out the gauge cluster lights up when you turn the lights on, but the climate control and radio does not! Oh no! Will update again once I re-pin the harness.

Enjoy! I hope this helps someone

Last edited by KenTK808; 10-27-2016 at 03:46 AM.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote