Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #91
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
OK, I got it to cooperate long enough to get something banged out. Here's the problem I was anticipating with the overhang:

The left hole is OK to machine from one side. It's not really possible to mill this shape on the right without a 5-axis mill, tilting the flange after milling the inset groove, or flipping the part over in the middle of machining that opening--none of which is possible/practical for me.

*edit*
One alternative I've thought of would be to bore the head side hole straight through on the left edge and backfill the difference when welding and die grind the bore smooth.

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 06-18-2012 at 08:12 AM.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #92
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Just mill the vertical surfaces and Dremel the angle yourself!

The aluminium is soft. I had already been practicing on the old flange and using a good bit, the stuff peels off smooth like cold butter. Make the outer holes smaller and then feather them out to meet the inner edge of the outer Yaris ports.

Heck, when I first started out I was going to do the whole thing by hand with a drill press and a Dremel!

I was just going to trace the Yaris gasket on one side of a 25mm slab and draw around the Corolla runners on the other side. Then use a drill press to punch out all of the vertically matching areas that go all the way through and Dremel the rest.

Oh, the guys let me in on another tip...
The 25mm bars we're getting have manufacturing rolling/extruding stresses in them and can warp under the heat of welding. So they're going to mill both sides flat and true to remove the more highly stressed and compressed metal at the surfaces. Then they'll lay flat under welding heat.

Any other ideas that are related to me I'll share them with you.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #93
tooter
play every day

I found a local speed shop that will dyno test my car to document the baseline performance so that when the manifold is installed and dyno tested, I'll have something to compare it against.

An aftermarket intake was needed as the stock air box will not work with the new manifold do to the repositioned throttle body. So I'm cobbling together two different systems. After looking at absolutely every intake made, I really like the BLOX air filter kit the most because it was the only one I found that uses a true velocity stack as its base and has a dry element (no oil to deal with) air filter attached onto it...

The BLOX will be installed onto a Weapon R Short Ram Intake tube...

I picked the Weapon R because the high polish not only looks good, it's simple, direct, and cheap... and the Blox Velocity Stack fits right onto it. The repositioned throttle body poses no problem for the Weapon R as there is plenty of room to rotate the pipe to locate the air filter in a good spot.

So the baseline dyno test will be:

BLOX Velocity Stack Dry Element Air Filter
Weapon R Short Ram intake
Weapon R 4-2-1 Exhaust Header
Micro Image MagnaFlow Center Exit Exhaust

And only change for comparison will be the modified Corolla intake manifold.

The velocity stack comes in a few days so I'll be installing the intake. And the car is almost has 1,000 miles on it, over a grand, it should be broken in enough for a few dyno runs.

I'll post the chart as soon as the first runs are done.

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #94
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Exciting - real data!

...which shop is doing your dyno?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #95
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
AFE filters are dry or oiled, by the way.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #96
tooter
play every day

Hey Garm,

HK Motorsports on Oxnard in Van Nuys is going to do it. I already talked to Harry.

The AFE is a good SRI system, but I didn't care for the black plastic tubing with those tight bends. Also considered the K&N SRI. It has free play without the box, but I didn't want to deal with an oily filter. Neither of those would work anyways as the attitude of the throttle body is going to end up being altered from the stock position in two axes. A free floating system serves my needs better because I can rotate it to fit, and there is no box to restrict the filter location.

I might have a go at polishing the runners on the Corolla manifold, so the highly polished Weapon R tube should compliment them, and I really like the design of the BLOX velocity stacks.

The throat is 2.5 inches inside diameter which perfectly matches the Weapon R aluminium pipe. Then it smoothly flares out to about 5 inches. An elegantly simple practical free flowing design.

Here's a really cool demonstration of the same beautiful principle using flowing water instead of air...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdqZFtb-BQ&feature=fvst

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #97
tooter
play every day

Been reading about velocity stacks and discovered that they're also called flow stacks...

This is a cross section of the BPI flow stack air filter which is exactly the same design as the BLOX. I can't tell, they might be the same manufacturer...

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #98
tooter
play every day

Here's a video of a normally aspirated engine with velocity stacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAbgqz4yGs

Crank up the sound... it will positively blow your mind!

An S2000 with stacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccCIb...eature=related

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #99
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Holy moly dymag wheels ! Spare no expense !

Where to get that flow stack tooter ?
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #100
tooter
play every day

Got it as a complete kit off Ebay from the seller called "goodygarage".
He has 5. I bought one, so there are 4 still for sale.

Kit:

BLOX composite black 2.5" velocity stack (not aluminium)
6 inch dry element filter
2.5" silicone coupler to fit any 2.5' intake pipe
3 stainless steel screw clamps, big one for filter, 2 little ones for the mounting coupler

$57 with free shipping and including California sales tax.

It ships from back east so I won't receive it out here on the west coast until the 28th. Would ship to you quicker because you're closer.

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #101
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
I have that setup already but you might have to trim the velocity stack and weapon R tube a little bit for a proper fit next to the headlight. It does make a difference and when you shift the thing is sucking so much air sounds like I have a blowoff valve(don't know why but i think it's pretty cool)
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #102
tooter
play every day

Cool!
Do you have a pic of your intake that you could post? ...or even a video of the sound? I'd love to hear it.

If it's already loud on a stock manifold, I wonder what it's going to sound like on this?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #103
tooter
play every day

Found someon else's experience with a velocity stack intake...

We then fabricated a 3" intake with a BPI flow stack, and installed a motordyne 5/16" spacer. Huge gains were seen above 5500rpm, the largest gain being over 20whp near RPM limit. The peak power increased to 228whp, another 11whp from spacer + intake.

Here's what they look like without filters on them...

My setup will be quite similar to this, except with an airflow sensor...

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #104
tooter
play every day

This is a flow stack truck muffler...

Quiet Performance Straight Flow Stack Muffler

Item Number: 185828

Regular price: $194.99

Straight flow mufflers cancel out soundwaves by directing them into one another to absorb sound energy without added restriction. Up to 50 additional horsepower, improved throttle response and lower exhaust gas temperatures. Improves fuel mileage and power. 51.5" total length x 10" diameter. Designed to go up the side or rear of the cab. This muffler creates no back pressure, which allows for a gain of at least 1 mile per gallon. You can save 1000 gallons for every 100,000 miles driven. Since the flow is not restricted, the muffler gathers no soot or condensation, making this muffler last for the life of the truck. 5" I.D. inlet and outlet. Fits all class 8 trucks with 5" vertical stacks.
Sold individually.

It flows from bottom to top with the flow stack above the gap in the baffle. Really clever design.

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #105
muffin_top

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
This is a flow stack truck muffler...

Quiet Performance Straight Flow Stack Muffler

Item Number: 185828

Regular price: $194.99

Straight flow mufflers cancel out soundwaves by directing them into one another to absorb sound energy without added restriction. Up to 50 additional horsepower, improved throttle response and lower exhaust gas temperatures. Improves fuel mileage and power. 51.5" total length x 10" diameter. Designed to go up the side or rear of the cab. This muffler creates no back pressure, which allows for a gain of at least 1 mile per gallon. You can save 1000 gallons for every 100,000 miles driven. Since the flow is not restricted, the muffler gathers no soot or condensation, making this muffler last for the life of the truck. 5" I.D. inlet and outlet. Fits all class 8 trucks with 5" vertical stacks.
Sold individually.

It flows from bottom to top with the flow stack above the gap in the baffle. Really clever design.
That should look mighty scary underneath your car. 10" diamater may challenge your ability to lower the vehicle though..

I have several of those 1ZZ intakes at work, they look seriously cool. Hoping this makes power on the cheap, if so, I'm in!
muffin_top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #106
tooter
play every day

We'll find out soon...

So far, the guys are working on the flange and throttle body adapter drawings. The aluminium will arrive any day now. And when the flow stack intake is delivered on the 28th, I'll be ready for a baseline dyno test. I want to have a test with everything else already on the car, so that the manifold is the only component changed.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #107
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
The weaponR filter has a small velocity stack built into it...

Do you want to sell it...?

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #108
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
It would be nice if you would be willing to provide all dimensions for that Blox setup. It could be a great component depending on physical dimensions for my turbo installation especially if they provide the type of air flow performance that is touted.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote