Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Going with GY Fuel Max as a replacement tire

After my Eagle LS wore out in less than 35k I was firmly against buying another set from GY. I did a liitle more research and found out the treadwear rating on the Eagle is about half that of the Fuel Max. So my frustration over what I thought was a lousy set of tires was misdirected.

I looked at some other brands and found just like the Fuel Max reviews were generally good but varied.

I had originally planned to replace both wheels and tires this fall with something else, but the lack remaining tread on the Eagle LS tires, advanced the replacement issue to ASAP. I've got the long road trip next month and I'd like the tires to be "broken in" before I drive unfamilar roads.

One spec I did notice on the Fuel Max compared to the Eagle LS was a narrower tread width. Fuel Max is 4.5" in the 185 60 15 size, whereas the Eagle LS were 5.7".Could this be part of the reason the MAX tire pressure is 51 psi on the Fuel MAx, but only 44 PSI on the Eagle LS?
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Higher pressure = less rolling resistance
Narrower tire = Less wind resistance

Both should help your fuel economy.
That said, higher pressures may ride rougher and narrower tread would look cheap. So there may be some trade-off's.
Keep us posted on your results & impressions.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
After my Eagle LS wore out in less than 35k I was firmly against buying another set from GY. I did a liitle more research and found out the treadwear rating on the Eagle is about half that of the Fuel Max. So my frustration over what I thought was a lousy set of tires was misdirected.

I looked at some other brands and found just like the Fuel Max reviews were generally good but varied.

I had originally planned to replace both wheels and tires this fall with something else, but the lack remaining tread on the Eagle LS tires, advanced the replacement issue to ASAP. I've got the long road trip next month and I'd like the tires to be "broken in" before I drive unfamilar roads.

One spec I did notice on the Fuel Max compared to the Eagle LS was a narrower tread width. Fuel Max is 4.5" in the 185 60 15 size, whereas the Eagle LS were 5.7".Could this be part of the reason the MAX tire pressure is 51 psi on the Fuel MAx, but only 44 PSI on the Eagle LS?
different max tire pressures depend on a ton of things. One thing I will say is thinner tires means less traction, which means more fun on public roads.

One of the main reasons i went to 14"s and stock width tires.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
DON'T BUY THEM!!! They are a waste of money!

I had them on my xB (same size tire as a yaris) & they sucked & actually lowered my MPG, i eventully had to run them at 64psi to break even with what i was getting with the old eagle LS tires. Traction was shit...the only thing they had going for them is treadwear...they wouldn't go away i had almost 40K on them with still some meat left when i traded the box in for the Yaris

buy anything else

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Bridgestone Pro Contact Eco Plus are working well for the YARIS sedan w/ auto . Have been achieving 40+ m.p.g. last 3 tanks . They were $90 each before tax . There set at 35 p.s.i.. Car rides better and is a bit quieter .

Last edited by Hershey; 05-18-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
...try Hankook Optimo H727... you will not be sorry.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
I deal with tires nonstop at work. I have seen no reason to buy FuelMax tires at all. Find one unmounted somewhere and feel the sidewall (not very confidence inspiring).

There are better, longer lasting tires for the same or less money.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
adrew

Drives: '12 L 3-door 5-speed
They came on my '12 in 175/65/15 (H-rated, made in Japan). I've had a lot worse OEM tires, but I wouldn't buy these again.

They were great for the first 12k miles or so, then started to get slippery on wet roads. They're quiet and ride well but the sidewall is soft and steering response is slow. They also howl and squeal with any kind of slightly enthusiastic cornering. I will say that the '12 consistently gets 2-3 more MPG than our '11 that has Bridgestone RE92s on it, but that could be a result of refinements between the two different generations of cars.

I'm going to try and tolerate them for another year or so (they don't seem to be wearing at all!) and then switch to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (comes in 175/65/15, presumably since that is the size the base Mini Cooper wears).
adrew is offline   Reply With Quote