Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #235
LuisPRTRD
Angry Bird

Drives: yaris sedan
2007 sedan
black sand pearl
LuisPRTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #236
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Nook, can I ask where in God's name you drive? lol..that mileage is unreal.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #237
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
See post #218 on this thread. I've also taken two trips since then:

1. Late summer 2013 - (4500 miles or 5500 miles..can't remember which) Headed North, stopped in Denton,TX for a bit and then Oklahoma City for the night. I somehow made it to KC the next day for the last game of the Royals home stand (a goal for the trip...I hadn't been to that stadium for a game since the stadium received a ($250 million IIRC) facelift). I spent that night and the next in Blue Springs, MO and then that next day (the day I left) I spent some of the day in Independence, MO (saw the downtown area, the Truman House (residence), and toured the Truman Presidential Library) and then headed to St. Joseph for the remainder of the daylight hours and ended up in Omaha, NE for the night and spent a couple of days there. I then headed to the SE corner of North Dakota (Wahpeton area) to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in years. I continued on to St. Cloud, MN for the night and then 1-2 (?) night/nights in Janesville, WI (hometown of Paul Ryan). The closed General Motors plant there is something to see. I then headed to Mishawaka, IN for the night. The next day I made my way across the border into Michigan and eventually to the Four Winds resort (another goal for the trip...had to get some Hard Rock Cafe stuff ) and then to Indianapolis for the night. After Indianapolis I headed to Branson, MO and spent I think 3-4 days there. I explored the area...the town, around and across much of Table Rock Lake, and paid to go up to the observation deck at Inspiration Tower. I then had my Yaris checked out in Springfield, MO (the day I got to Branson (IIRC) a YW member was driving his daughter's Yaris and one of the Control Arm Bolts broke and he had a terrible accident...Hershey posted that he went out the next day and got his bolts replaced). I then headed to Tulsa, OK (1 or 2 days), and then back to Texas.

2. October 1st-31st (7500 miles) - Left Texas and headed to Mississippi through Louisiana. I spent that first night in Jackson, MS. I spent the whole next day there and then to Tuscaloosa, AL for the night. The next day I toured the Mercedes-Benz factory in Alabama and spent the night in Gadsden, AL. Then to Lookout Mountain, TN and Lookout Mountain, GA (park areas run by the US Government closed ) and then to Chattanooga for the night and to Signal Mountain late at night...could see all the lights in the valley from a local park). Toured all of the Signal Mountain area the next day (for some reason the U.S. Government run parks there weren't roped off and visitors were walking around). That night, IIRC stayed in Chattanooga again. Next day to Spartanburg, SC for the night and then to Simpsonville, SC the next night (I wasn't able to tour the BMW factory, but did get some pictures of the area). Next day to Wytheville, VA for the night, through Hickory, NC and Princeton, WV on the way there. Then the next day headed toward Brattleboro, VT for the night, but I might have spent another night somewhere in between on the way there. Then to Burlington VT area (1-2 nights?)...and to Montpelier to see the Capitol building and the town. Vermont is very pretty (the camera I bought before leaving on this trip got quite a bit of use there). Previously I had only been to Bennington, VT (one branch of my family left Bennington in the 1840s to head to California). I then headed to Newport, RI (2-3 days?) and drove around the area and also toured the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Then to Mystic, CT...had to get a slice of Mystic Pizza, etc. Then to Manchester, CT for the night. Then toured the Mark Twain house in Hartford and then to Enfield, CT for the night. Then drove to Maine, stopping in Saco (and a few other places along the way) andin Bangor for the night. Then to Madawaska the next day (the Northernmost town in New England and one of the 'corners' on the Four Corners motorcycle tour...there is even a park there to welcome bikers...and a Tim Horton's ) and back to Bangor for the night. The next day I went to Freeport, ME walked all around the L.L. Bean complex, and some of the town. I also made it to Walker Point in Kennebunkport. I then headed toward Newport, RI and eventaualy did make it there (road construction in the Boston area...ugh...ugh...ugh) but I could tell I was getting sick (cellulitis). I went to the Hospital in Newport the next day (per my GP over the phone), got some antibiotics, paid for my hotel for a week, and then spent the next 4 days in bed. The final three days of that week = day trip to Provincetown and Cape Cod Seashore, walked the Cliff Walk (in the rain) in Newport on another day, and spent the other day relaxing. The next day I drove to Piscataway, NJ for the next night after stopping in Nyack, NY and running out of gas (at night) on Rt 59 just west of 'the Nyacks' while on my way to a gas station (an interesting experience...AAA almost couldn't find me). The next day I did a dry run for the next day's trip to the Statue of Liberty and spent the night in East Brunswick. The next day I spent most of the day at the Statue of Liberty and took the last ferry back to New Jersey. I then (after giving up trying to park at a restaurant) drove from Hoboken to Linwood Plaza in Fort Lee.....at rush hour...on a Friday. I have a pretty high frustration tolerance, but that got to me. Earlier this month I learned that I drove through two of the ten most densly populated cities in the U.S. on that drive...doesn't surprise me at all. I spent that night in Delaware, and the next night (and most of the day) after that in Asheville, NC. I then spent the next night in Montgomery, AL and most of the next day there before heading to Gadsden, AL for the night. The next day I drove to Mentone, AL..beautiful..a beautiful rural mountain area (lots of camps for kids there, and Cloudmont (the Southeasternmost Alpine ski area in the U.S.) is located there. I left that area after dark. I wanted to get back to my house before trick-or-treating started (the next night) as some of my neighbors love fireworks so much (any chance to set them off) that I worry about the possibility of a fire....so I drove straight through...just stopping along the way for food, and a quick nap in my car at a truck stop. My original plan was for this to be a shorter trip, but: 1. Getting sick, and 2. The government shutdown () made for a longer trip (I didn't want to miss the Statue of Liberty on this trip, so I kept 'borrowing from places to go on future trips').

-- Overall, my Yaris has been to D.C., to Ontario (Niagara Falls to Toronto and back), and to all of the 'Lower 48' U.S. states except Idaho and Montana (I've been to Idaho and Montana, just not in my Yaris). My Yaris has also been to '3 of the 4 corners' (vehicle on a paved road wise...not hiking wise......The Southeast (Key West (Southernmost point in the Southeast) in 2007 and a point along the A1A in FL (the Easternmost point in the Southeast) in 2007 and in 2012)....The Southwest (The parking lot at Border Field State Park in 2010....the Four Corners motorcycle tour states 'San Ysidro, CA', but the parking lot at Border Field State Park is a few miles west of San Ysidro....government employees can drive past the parking lot (closer to the beach), but the parking lot is as far as 'Joe Citizen' can drive (there is a locked gate at that point).....The Northeast (Lubec, ME in 2009 (the Easternmost town on the U.S. mainland) and Madawaska, ME (the Northernmost town in New England) in 2013).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #238
bestyaris

Drives: Polar White 4 Dr
2007 4 Door Sedan (base)
129K miles

1. regular oil changes
2. Tranny oil change (auto)
3. Air filter change
4. brake pads
5. sets of tires (on 3rd sets)

Hit dead deer recently which damaged front lower bumper

Other than that should be good to go till 200k..
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #239
caper26

Drives: 2010 4D Sedan 5M w/convenience
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I have a 2010 with under 38,000 km, which is about 23,500 miles.

:D

Daily commuter but I only live about 6 or 7 km from work
Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #240
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper26 View Post
I have a 2010 with under 38,000 km, which is about 23,500 miles.

:D

Daily commuter but I only live about 6 or 7 km from work
You likely have one of the highest enjoyment per kilometer levels of any YW member, as you live, IMO, in one of the most beautiful spots on earth . My aunt and uncle are big golf nuts. They stayed at Keltic Lodge and at Digby Pines on the same trip. They told me 'You cannot miss the Cabot Trail' (a must see). I didn't, and they were right.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #241
bestyaris

Drives: Polar White 4 Dr
Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 AM   #242
reggaetonfreak
El Yoe

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
2007 Hatchback
White

Stinky A/C (sometimes) since born
squeaky gear shifter (fixed with white spray grease)
couple of rust spots in the engine bay
missing RH axle-shaft dampener clamp
Old 01-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #243
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
2007 hatchback

123 345 km's

Smelly a/c like burnt something.
Gearbox mixed sometimes it's smooth then sometimes niggling.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #244
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
1st oil change today at around 36000 miles. Changed to a mobile 1 filter and pennzoil platinum 5w20 for the winter. Hoping to get 10k on the oil and 15k on the filter. I work for dell as a field service tech and there are some days when I drive 200+ miles. I will post back in this thread when there are other repairs or maintenance.
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #245
RJay

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris T-sport
2002 T-sport 3-doors blue Yaris (EU model)
126666 km today, got it for 4 months now so nothing after taking delivery yet, except discovering a crack in the rear windshield wiper-arm.
Plastic fantastic?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #246
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Latest milestone

So I did what I consider my first repair on my Yaris last month. This car is unbelievably well built to have just one thing go as of 160,000 miles. It was a rear wheel bearing.

The only other maintenance items I've done is...

-1 belt replacement
-1 battery replacement
- replaced spark plugs
- tail light bulbs
& of course oil and tires

Last edited by Kal-El; 03-05-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #247
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Latest milestone

So I did what I consider my first repair on my Yaris last month. This car is unbelievably well built to have just one thing go as of 160,000 miles. It was a rear wheel bearing.

The only other maintenance items I've done is...

-1 belt replacement
-1 battery replacement
- replaced spark plugs
- rear tail light bulbs
& of course oil and tires

Congrats ! My first repair was also a wheel bearing, but front not rear,,,,and yours lasted longer (replaced mine at 110k+). I almost made it to your new milestone with 1 repair, but my alternator crapped out at 159k+. No repairs since, though . My maintenance = pretty similar to yours except more batteries (Texas heat + 2 cheap (but did squeeze 136k out of the 2 of them) 1yr batteries...just replaced the 2nd one with the same one CTScott has (NAPA Legend)) and different bulbs (headlight and plate light bulbs), part of a bottle of coolant, and replacing the control arm bolts, + ? (= on this thread, or will be within a few days .
Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #248
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Congrats ! My first repair was also a wheel bearing, but front not rear,,,,and yours lasted longer (replaced mine at 110k+). I almost made it to your new milestone with 1 repair, but my alternator crapped out at 159k+. No repairs since, though . My maintenance = pretty similar to yours except more batteries (Texas heat + 2 cheap (but did squeeze 136k out of the 2 of them) 1yr batteries...just replaced the 2nd one with the same one CTScott has (NAPA Legend)) and different bulbs (headlight and plate light bulbs), part of a bottle of coolant, and replacing the control arm bolts, + ? (= on this thread, or will be within a few days .
Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #249
nookandcrannycar

254,841 miles:
Oil+Filter Change/Battery Check(ok)/Other(brought in re driving a bit off and unsure if this was re the particular roads I was driving on (around Table Rock Lake in Missouri), or something more. Another Yarisworld member had a control arm bolt break that week, resulting in an accident. I was informed that one of the motor mounts was bad. I had a trusted local shop look at the car (after I returned to Texas....the shop above was in Springfield, Missouri) and the local shop said all the motor mounts = just fine. Once I reduced the tire pressure to Toyota Spec (IIRC, after returning to Texas), the symptoms disappeared. Date = 8/25/13.

255,698 miles:
Free Tire Rotation + Balancing at Firestone. Date = 8/28/13

266,503 miles:
18th Oil + Filter Change. Date = 11/1/13

267,865 miles:
Had local shop install control arm bolts I bought at Fred Haas Toyota. Bolts = 2 x $8.05 = $16.10 plus tax (big increase over the last time I checked that price). Labor to install these bolts at the local shop = $33.08. Date = 11/22/13

272,585 miles:
Firestone - Tire sealant I used on flat tire the night before invalidated the road hazard warranty. They gave me a pro rata discount on the new tire based on the remaining tread ($58.31 -- 40.31 for the tire with pro rata discount --$13.44 for new road hazard warranty--$4.44 tax). Date = 1/29/14

274,071 miles:
19th Oil + Filter Change. Took to Brake Check (a Texas chain). Included Battery Check (why I went there...and the battery was bad) and Wheel Alignment Check. Date = 2/20/14

Between 274,071 and 274,086 miles:
NAPA Legend Battery - $120.99 net = Battery + Core Deposit + Environmental Fee/Tax + Sales Tax.....MINUS Core Deposit and Sales Tax on Core Deposit when I handed them the old battery. This is the 4th Battery -- OEM Battery lasted 2 years 11+ months and 138,055 miles. 2nd Battery = Sears 'Cheapie' with 1 year guarantee -- lasted exactly 3 years to the day and 86,891 miles. 3rd Battery = Wal-Mart 'Cheapie' with 1 year guarantee (almost same price Sears battery was 3 years before) -- lasted 1 year 4 1/2 months and 49,140 miles. Date = 2/20/14

274,086 miles:
Had local shop install the NAPA Legend battery - $10.00 (Well worth it.....one cable was a b**** to remove from one of the posts on the old battery...and they sprayed the terminals after the install.....I didn't have to buy a can of spray). Date = 2/20/14

275,380 miles: TODAY -- 3/8/14 -- Driver's side headlight bulb just went out (I have Daytime Running Lights). Can't complain. OEM on driver's side lasted 138,111 miles, so the replacement lasted 137,269 miles. On the passenger side, the OEM bulb lasted 150,207 miles, and the replacement lasted 92,755 miles (replacement replaced at 242,962 miles).

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 03-08-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot to include that local shop told me motor mounts are fine (....shop in Missouri claiming one is bad = BS)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #250
Kal-El

^^

Thanks for the info.

I noticed you change oil only every 15K or so. I assume you're on synthetic?

I use conventional and do it every 5-6K.

Also, I've been curious at how long people's struts last on the Yaris. I haven't seen anyone replace them accept for those who have lowered their car. With the exception of Triniper4mance who changed them somewhere around 450,000 miles. So Nook... yours are still good at 275+K? That's impressive.

I was in a shop recently and a sign says "experts" recommend changing shocks/struts every 50,000 miles. LOL.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #251
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^^

Thanks for the info.

Also, I've been curious at how long people's struts last on the Yaris. I haven't seen anyone replace them accept for those who have lowered their car. With the exception of Triniper4mance who changed them somewhere around 450,000 miles. So Nook... yours are still good at 275+K? That's impressive.

I was in a shop recently and a sign says "experts" recommend changing shocks/struts every 50,000 miles. LOL.
They aren't like new (and who knows...may have contributed a slight bit to the 'feel' I was getting on some of those rural roads near Table Rock Lake in Missouri), but in normal driving they still seem fine. If you look at post #1 on Trini's 500,000 mile thread (where he still updates his repairs/maintenance), IIRC (but I might not be ) he replaced his shocks and struts once before at about 150k (so twice overall). While viewing his videos, you can see he doesn't drive his Yaris gingerly . This (and a non stock setup) I would imagine might contribute to a shorter life for some parts. Member yaris9876 has 403K + miles on his Yaris, and I think the original shocks and struts were still on his Yaris at 403k.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #252
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^^

Thanks for the info.

No...only dino oil. Given the things that Exiwolfman has seen at work, I've been thinking that frequent changes probably make even more of a difference in climates with very harsh winters. However, on a LOCAL (to me) call in auto show this morning (not re a call about a specific car) they were saying, generally, it is more important to change the oil more frequently with engines that have variable valve timing (Yari, of course) than with engines that don't.