Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
zahirrahman

Drives: yaris 4dr sedan pacific blue
Permanent install of Inverter

hi i have this inverter and have been using it for years.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-lite...#ProductDetail

i'm wondering if there was a way for me to have this permanently installed?

i can have the switch pulled off the unit and have it wired elsewhere and i can use extension cord for the outlets. but i want it so its installed and not taking up space.

What would be a good place to place it? where would i draw the power from? preferably the 12v socket as i changed the fuse on it to be able to pull higher loads.
zahirrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
There's room up behind of the glove box compartment box, behind the air fan assembly. There's some braces etc you could strap it into.

... first open space that comes to my mind.

Otherwise, how about underneath the seats, specifically the right seat, where most people put an amplifier? Its easy to remove the between-seats center console to route wires neatly and invisibly below the seat frames, along the gear shifter and up to the 12V outlet, or forward to the battery via a switch or whatever you like. If I were you, I'd hook it straight to the battery and get a timer switch that will turn off after like 5 minutes without a positive battery charge or such.

Perhaps you could look into how we put amplifiers into the car and go from there... wiring from the battery can run under the right front foot well carpet, into a grommet just left of the ECU in the engine compartment. I have an amplifier in my car, and it in no way takes up any space, and is not noticeable at any time no matter what or who I have in my car. But you do have to remove the right front seat to make the wiring easier, and the 4 seat bolts can be a real bitch to get out.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
zahirrahman

thanks for your input!!! i think i'm gonna with the behind the glove box. i hadn't thought about that before. there seems to be adequate room and decent air flow. removing the seat is pain the behind as u said and as i heard many times over. i'll update when im done !
Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
You can roll back the carpet and perhaps cut some holes, to get the wires out of the way of the passenger foot well.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
zahirrahman

okay.. so the wires that hook up to the 12v dc power outlet are thin and im afraid that pushing too much power would burn them out. so im gonna hook them up to the battery instead. shouldn't be too much of a big deal i already got a small amp wired to it.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
zahirrahman

so i decided to hook up the inverter in the back trunk along with the amp etc. would that be a problem?

I don't think the output on the inverter is a perfect sine would that cause too much noise/interference ?
or should i just hook it up to the battery up front? does it make a difference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (42.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
zahirrahman

got it running! thanks evryone! i'll post pics to the garage once im done putting it back together