Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #2017
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I just drove cross country from Indy to DC. I almost squeezed 40 mpg (39.6). I averaged 65 MPH the whole way. In West Virgina, Pennsylvania, and Maryland there are some pretty good downhill grades and I thought that would push me over the 40 mark, but as most of you know, you have to go up the other side of the mountain and that eats the gas. Overall, not bad for such a hilly trip. On the way back I am going to drive 70 and see if that effects the mileage too much.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #2018
jay cobbs

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan 4 speed auto
2010 4 spped sedan got 45 mpg to lake tahoe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
'08 base sedan w/ 4 speed auto : 35.75

Eco-Meter : 37 ( set @ 96 )
Calculated : 35.75 ( 272.2 mis. / 7.613 gals. )

Refill of Sunoco 87 e10 @ 1 click of nozzle . Temps have dropped into the teens and single digits .
2010 sedan stock model with 4 speed Auto with overdrive awesome transmission . fun and very perky. Started in union city california loaded with 600lbs of passengers fully loaded camping gear tents 2 lull coolers chse lounge fold up 3chairs 3 caes of drinks and food for all 3 days worth. Tre pressure at 37 not at sidewall 52 max psi full tank of 11 gallons of arco 87 grade. no mods no hypemilling wife drove and doesnt belive in that stuff. cool temps and uphill all the way on to donner pass elevation 6845 ft above sea level !!! still plenty of power very suprised. purred down the mt hills in third at 45 mph very nice and smooth trans and we went 100 miles of city and backroad driving to camp sites around the tahoe lake twice and into every nook and crany even when to carson city all mt. driving and 45MPG my wallet loves TOYOTA . NO hypermiling tricks and with full size spare tire to boot . miles 320 gas fill up at tahoe 7.2 gallons on arco gas! 45 mpg and the worst driving possible 75-80 up to the big passes and 65mph up the passes and into tahoe!! most of us had to p by then made 3 stops on the way for fast food but no gas. Take that Prius LOVERS!!! Im new to the forum but had to tell someone. and I cant figure out how to post a separate post in here but wanted to let you know that the yaris sedan is awsome...forget PRIUS and the 55 on the frwy crap....
jay cobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #2019
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #2020
Hershey

Did a fill earlier . Calculated : 41.82 ( 266.4 mis. / 6.37 gals. @ 1 click ) . Hopefully it pumped enough to fill the tank . Showed full . Time will well , if not still likely be over 41 m.p.g.. Continental w/ Eco Plus tires at 36 . About 30% city and the 2 of us for over 1/2 the miles .
Attached Images

Last edited by Hershey; 05-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #2021
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I just got 615 km/tank and a 36.502 litre fill. This works out to: 47.59 MPG (Imperial) or 39.63 MPG (US). I am quite happy about it as I wanted to break 600 km. I gassed up shortly after the gas gauge started blinking.

I am running my tires at 40 psi .. and this tank was probably about 200 - 250 km highway driving.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #2022
Hershey

Keep it a goin' .
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #2023
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
Over Winter break I found that the best way to get incredible gas mileage in a yaris is to go to florida, haha. I was doing high 40's or so mpg. The ultralight wheels garm sold me help; but I guess just getting out of tennessee and driving like a granny helps. Anyone wanna volunteer to go to florida and see?
Here in SE Texas the climate is Sub-Tropical (as most of Florida is) and I don't really notice a dip in MPG during the Winter. Among the 'Lower 48' (I haven't driven in AK nor HI) I think the craziest drivers are in AZ, CA, FL, IL, MI, NV, TN, TX, and in DC/+the DC Beltway parts of MD and VA. Among these crazy spots, the craziest drivers (by far, in my opinion) are in the southern half of the Florida mainland. Crazy = lack of skill, lack of safety and safety+courtesy, and sometimes malicious intent.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #2024
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Here in SE Texas the climate is Sub-Tropical (as most of Florida is) and I don't really notice a dip in MPG during the Winter. Among the 'Lower 48' (I haven't driven in AK nor HI) I think the craziest drivers are in AZ, CA, FL, IL, MI, NV, TN, TX, and in DC/+the DC Beltway parts of MD and VA. Among these crazy spots, the craziest drivers (by far, in my opinion) are in the southern half of the Florida mainland. Crazy = lack of skill, lack of safety and safety+courtesy, and sometimes malicious intent.
For quite a while Florida would trade you a Florida license for a drivers license from any country, so a lot of people with no real experience driving in traffic easily got a license. Or people from countries who totally ignored all traffic lights and signs could get one easily as well.

But Florida driving was easy. People were courteous and always would let me in if I turned on my blinker. Now driving in and around Boston is crazy. Probably the closest thing to demolition derby with no one really wanting an accident you can get. Always cut off the expensive cars, because they will stop.

Funny thing is I never kept track of my gas mileage while I was in Florida. Well I guess I still don't, just quickly do the math at the pump.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #2025
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Always cut off the expensive cars, because they will stop.
I just about got taken out (he tried to prevent me from changing lanes) the other day ... all because my Yaris wasn't fast enough for Mr Road Rage.

All I had to say was .. "Watch me pass the gas station in my little Yaris". So there Mr Hot Shot ... some people just never learn.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #2026
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I just about got taken out (he tried to prevent me from changing lanes) the other day ... all because my Yaris wasn't fast enough for Mr Road Rage.

All I had to say was .. "Watch me pass the gas station in my little Yaris". So there Mr Hot Shot ... some people just never learn.
i avoid all that, i tend to be the one on the far right going slower than the entire road.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #2027
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i avoid all that, i tend to be the one on the far right going slower than the entire road.
Me too!!
Life's too short.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #2028
edmscan

I try to stay in the right lane most of the time ... but this time I had to turn left and this loser was trying to accelerate to prevent me from changing lanes. But ha ha .. the yaris can go if it wants to. But I do agree .. it is best just trying to ignore those losers. Of course he had to honk at me as he went by ...

On a better note ... I have been able to get somewhat better gas mileage as of late. Probably another 10 days or so to see if my efforts are paying off.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #2029
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
Me too!!
Life's too short.
Me too....and I definitely get better gas mileage by doing so.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #2030
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I try to stay in the right lane most of the time ... but this time I had to turn left and this loser was trying to accelerate to prevent me from changing lanes. But ha ha .. the yaris can go if it wants to. But I do agree .. it is best just trying to ignore those losers. Of course he had to honk at me as he went by ...

On a better note ... I have been able to get somewhat better gas mileage as of late. Probably another 10 days or so to see if my efforts are paying off.
I have driven quite a few miles in my life and only once had 'my feathers ruffled'/was really upset by anything. Usually if someone cuts me off it is a 'weaving in and out idiot' who is only cutting it a slight bit close or a 'didn't prepare properly but now I have to cut over to the closely upcoming exit (because my time is so valuable) cutting multiple people off idiot', or finally a large vehicle (non commercial) whose driver isn't looking properly or at all. Around half the time with the latter, the person is embarrassed and slows down to change lanes behind you. The other half of the time the person is being insensitive or slightly aggressive and completes the lane change, but it isn't so blatant as to nearly cause an accident. The one time that was different for me happened a couple of months ago. I was driving south on I-75 between Bradenton, FL and Naples, FL. I was in the slow lane and a Suburban abruptly started to cut me off. I honked, and instead of backing off he forced me off onto the shoulder. I attempted to catch up to him to give him the bird , but was unable to because another car sped up to prevent me from changing lanes...and it was a conservative sedan being driven by a nondescript young girl with a conservative haircut. Edmscan's experience made me think of this incident. I soon realized that this conservative girl with a lead foot was a blessing in disguise. What if the idiot in the Suburban had had a gun? Later in this same trip I was driving from Kissimmee to Naples via the old interior route (Highway 17 -- Winter Haven to SR 80 near Fort Myers) and was coming around a sweeping corner on a 1 lane in each direction stretch with a lot of traffic going North and a lot less going South. As I finished the curve I could finally see in front of me on a long straightaway. A Mini Cooper was attempting to pass about 10 cars, wasn't going to quite make it and was coming at me head on at what I would guess was 80+. My life flashed before me. Because of the angle of the bend of the curve and the amount of traffic coming from his direction nether of us could see the other coming....but he had run out of broken line on the pavement in his direction and shouldn't have attempted the pass in the first place. I already could tell (by observation just minutes before this) that the shoulder was less than a car length wide. What came next was fortunately the best piece of defensive driving I have ever mustered. I instinctively adjusted the wheel to navigate as close to the outer edge of the shoulder as possible and sat on my horn. The remaining drivers that the Mini Cooper hadn't passed were extremely alert and happened to do the same thing I did at just the right moment and the Mini Cooper squeezed between me and these 'remaining to be passed' drivers while stradling the painted double line in the middle of the road. While in Miami during this trip I saw an alarming number of drivers driving South on Biscayne Blvd and floating out of their lanes as if DUI. When I passed each one and looked over, each one was NOT LOOKING AT THE ROAD AT ALL with head looking down riveted toward his/her phone, texting away (no specific laws against this, to my understanding, in Florida). Some of these texters were young, and some were old. These three scenarios, all on different roads in different parts of the southern half of the Florida mainland have cemented (along with previously more benign experiences) my SMH when it comes to many of the drivers in that area.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #2031
Nigel8600

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
My new summer car is a mint 06 civic ex manual with only 42000KM, I can usually get 6.2L/100KM in that thing and I just bought my 08 yaris for a winter car to replace a wrecked dodge sx I had for last winter. I must admit I was pretty happy with my first fill in the yaris.

471KM/24.84L fill right to the gas cap lol. About 10% highway driving. I'm a courier in the city.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #2032
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I finally got up in the high 30's last week, my average was 39.85mpg, but only for a little over three gallons. I wish I took a photo of the receipt before shredding it, but next time! I've changed my driving habit to driving ~62mph on the highway and driving about ~45-50mph local. I accelerate slower and when coming to a red light, I let off the gas and let the inertia do most of the work. I'm greatly satisfied with the results! My lead foot is slowly letting off... =D
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #2033
nookandcrannycar

Anyone know if the first one (U.S. Domestic Market) has been delivered ?

I tried to start a new thread for this, but kept getting an error message.

http://jalopnik.com/the-887-hp-porsc...mpg-1279805586

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918
Old 03-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #2034
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ Bump (post #2041) Anyone?