Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
kameele

Drives: 2009 Zephyr Blue manual sedan
Newly Minted Yaris driver

Greetings to all the Yaris folks,

I am now the proud driver of a 2009 Zephyr Blue Metallic sedan as part of a Cash for Clunkers deal. I say driver because my wife was the owner of record of the 1993 Voyager we gave up to get it. She’s very happy to remind me of that, but since I drive 100 miles a day, it makes a little more sense for me to have it. She gets the Subaru Outback that I’ve been using.

I started out looking at Corollas, but found I couldn’t get a manual with any power options without going into the S and out of my price range. A dealer south of Boston had advertized a couple of Corollas and a couple of Yarii as specials, so when I went to look the Corollas were already gone, but a Yaris was still available. It was a manual with the power package, just like I wanted. Took it out for a drive and loved it. On special for $11,888—would have been really cheap with the $4500 off. I got back and sat down with the sales guy to start the C for C’s paperwork—he took some of my stuff to check to make sure the van qualified and came back to tell me that someone had phoned in a deposit on the car WHILE we were on the drive and it was no longer available! WTF? Then the sales manager came out to offer me another Yaris that wasn’t on sale—a 2008 with 3000 miles for $15K. And that was the only thing that they (supposedly) had to offer. Needless to say, it wasn’t too hard to turn down that gracious offer.

At this point I was determined to get a Yaris, but discovered that they were rather hard to come by in stock around Boston. Finally found the one I got and went to visit the dealer. I had the consumer reports pricing guide, so I knew that there was not a lot of play between dealer cost and list (roughly $900 by my calculations). I knew the c for c was running out quickly and there weren’t many of these around so not great negotiating position. I got it down almost $400 and decided I’d rather leave $500 on the table than loose the $4500.

I’ve been lurking here since I made the offer and enjoying all the information available. I don’t think there’s likely a lot of mods in my future, but it’s nice to dream.
kameele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
advocate

Drives: car
Glad you got around to posting and most importantly that you were able to get your hands on a Yaris. You really gotta fight for em nowadays if you want one.

If you're tight on cash you can always budget mod like me and whore the for sale section for used parts

edit: Also I think this belongs in the New Yaris Purchase section. I'm sure one of our lovely moderators will be more than happy to bump it on over that direction.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Hello and welcome, Kameele!

I was just about to say, $11,888 for a NEW Yaris? I would have bought it on the phone, too! lol. Around here, they're asking that much for used Yarii, which, for some reason seem to be flying off the dealers' lots lately

If it makes you feel any better, I was under pressure too when I got my Yaris, not a lot of room for negotiation when you show up in an old car held together with duct tape, and that sounds like it's going to fall apart if you even try to drive it off the lot

The story sounds a little fishy (this one is sold but here is a more expensive one) but on the other hand, I did too, almost bought my Yaris on the phone, so I dont know, it's entirely possible :)

Enjoy the forum!

Last edited by tomato; 09-28-2009 at 11:32 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
welcome to yw!
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
shaneeezy
<3

Drives: '08 Polar White Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to shaneeezy
Welcome to the team (:
shaneeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
welcome, post pics!
kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
welcome to the club
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Welcome to YW!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
kameele

Drives: 2009 Zephyr Blue manual sedan
Thanks for the welcome. After 4 days of driving I'm looking forward to filling up tomorrow. After 350 miles, the gauge is still showing 3/8 of a tank. I think I could come to like this car.

A slightly amusing anecdote for you all. I was showing off the car for my neighbor and when he saw the engine compartment and the VVT-I on the top, he asked " What's that stand for, Very, Very Tiny Ingine?" It sure is a cute little engine.
kameele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
lol, that's a good one! I think I might start using it.

Oh, and welcome to the best yarii site in the world! And shopping for used parts here is a great idea. My springs new would have cost around $400, but I got them used for $100 and my AEM intake for $150.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Welcome! Glad you got one! I had to search all over to get exactly the one I wanted, and I had to wait for it to get off the boat lol Mod madness caught me early. I hope you have fun with yours! post pics!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote