Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
Can we change the Brake Fluid this way?

Instead of removing the tyres and bleeding the brakes is it possible to

-Turkey suction the old fluid out as much as possible
-Refill it with new fluid
-Drive the car for a few months so it can mix with the old fluid trapped in the system
-Repeat the process again of sucking the brake fluid out and refilling it
-Do this again every 6 months.

I'm a beginner when it comes to DIY and lifting the yaris with four jacks to remove the tyres and then bleeding it without getting any air inside it sounds really intimidating
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
No. The most contaminated brake fluid resides in the calipers, because they are the end of the line. In the system the fluid does not flow, but rather the master cylinder pushes a small amount of additional fluid towards the calipers, and when they retract, the fluid moves back up the tubing a bit, but what is at the calipers never goes all the way back to the master cylinder.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
You will need to get a friend to help you for sure.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You don't necessarily need to lift all four wheels off the ground, nor do you need to even remove the tires. On the Yaris you can reach the bleeders with the tires still on. You can also skip using a helper by purchasing a manual brake bleeding vacuum pump (like the kit pictured below). With it you put a bit of fresh fluid in the cup, connect one hose to the hand pump, the other to the bleeder nipple. You then pump it to draw a vacuum, open the bleeder slightly, and then continue to pump until you no longer see air bubbles in the hose. You then close the bleeder, check the master cylinder level (and fill it back to the fill line) and move to the next wheel.

brake bleeder.jpg
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You could also try gravity bleeding the system dosnt require really any special tools and is pretty much fool proof. First drain and refill the master with the above method you stated. Then start from the right rear open the bleeder screw and then just let it leak out for about 10 minutes while keeping a eye on the master cylinder level and top it off every so often then go to the left rear then right front and then left front. You wont have to worry about messing up anything or getting air into the system. Takes a lot longer but you can get the fluid out of the lines that way. If you want less of a mess/clean up you can take some cheap vacuum hose and connect one end to the end of the bleeder and the other end into a bucket to allow it to drain out. All this might be able to be done on the ground without jacks granted if your vehicle is stock hight and you can get reach under to loosen the bleeders.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
lamadoo

wow thanks for good advices, doesn't seem so hard now
Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I bought a set of speed bleeders @ 7.50 each. Quick perfect bleeds with one person and length of tube and bottle. I put one on the clutch slave too, makes bleeding the clutch a breeze.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
lamadoo

Hi guys i just changed my brake fluid, i tried using the pump gun but it was getting so many bubbles and was tickling it down (cheapest gun on ebay i got...). I then just let it bleed but then the sun was going down so i used the other method of stepping on the breaks and using a tube with a bottle and some fluid inside to stop the air going out.

I finished the sequence in the correct order, but i had some fluid remaining so i decided to do the back and the driver back again...clear pure fluid. I then stopped and being the idiot i am didn't proceed to double checking the front and the front passenger. So i messed up the sequence when it was completed already... any problems?

It all came out clear bubbleless fluid but now my brake pads feel spongy, is that okay? will a little air hurt the brake fluids system? Thanks guys
Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadoo View Post
Hi guys i just changed my brake fluid, i tried using the pump gun but it was getting so many bubbles and was tickling it down (cheapest gun on ebay i got...). I then just let it bleed but then the sun was going down so i used the other method of stepping on the breaks and using a tube with a bottle and some fluid inside to stop the air going out.

I finished the sequence in the correct order, but i had some fluid remaining so i decided to do the back and the driver back again...clear pure fluid. I then stopped and being the idiot i am didn't proceed to double checking the front and the front passenger. So i messed up the sequence when it was completed already... any problems?

It all came out clear bubbleless fluid but now my brake pads feel spongy, is that okay? will a little air hurt the brake fluids system? Thanks guys

Air wont hurt your system but it is going to greatly effect your braking. Just go with the simple gravity bleed that way there is no chance of messing anything up. Open each bleeder screw one at a time. If you dont have time just do the fronts that will get out most of the air for the time being in a short time to make it safe and then start over from the left rear when you have time.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
lamadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Air wont hurt your system but it is going to greatly effect your braking. Just go with the simple gravity bleed that way there is no chance of messing anything up. Open each bleeder screw one at a time. If you dont have time just do the fronts that will get out most of the air for the time being in a short time to make it safe and then start over from the left rear when you have time.
Awesome , i actually don't mind it being a little spongy and not stiff as a salami roll, makes it feel more touch sensitive. I will do that sir tomorrow if my misses doesn't take me away, thank you very much.

Last edited by lamadoo; 04-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
lamadoo

I just took it for a test drive, the brakes somehow have gotten tightened up after i drove around the block....I don't know how that happaned but good news for me i guess

I will gravity bleed it tomorrow for safe measures if i have the time :)

Last edited by lamadoo; 04-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Probably placebo, but if you had a little air before, new fluid will tighten dat feel.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote