Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
Parking on an incline?

I'm parking car everyday on an incline steep because i have where else (in my area).

Each time i go from P to reverse there is that 'thud' we always here when it disengages from a hill or steep.

Is constantly doing this damaging to the car?

THanks guys
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
When you park try setting your parking brake before you release the brake pedal and putting the vehicle into park. And vise versa when removing the vehicle from park to reverse dont remove the parking brake until it engages the gear. Whats happening the slight momentum when you shift it like that puts a slight strain on your motor mounts. Its similar to when some people are backing up but put it into drive before its come to a complete stop.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
Thanks yaris what will i do without you guys
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Personally, I when I park on the driveway, I first put the car into neutral, release the brake to set the car, then shift to park. Also ensures that you have set the parking lever high enough.
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yep, our driveway has an incline to it and I always set the parking brake and let the car "settle" before shifting into park (P).

I can usually roll out of it without using reverse. Sometimes I actually move the car out into the street (so I can get my Jeep out of the garage) without even starting it!

That said, I can't get the wife to do the same with our Honda minivan. I hate getting in it, shifting to drive and hearing that gawd-awful "THUNK!"